Author Topic: Mac guys cc here!  (Read 1452 times)

Teapot

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 1999, 07:58:00 PM »
Linux here ..ooops ... ok, I own a Mac as well, but the ideal platform for a sim would be Linux or FreeBSD ...
MacOS even will have a large chunk of FreeBSD with Mac OSX.

my 2 cents ...
Teapot.

ArcTangent

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 1999, 08:44:00 AM »
CC ...Gonna get a Mac today...For Lunch, with extra cheese and no pickles.

What is it with these Mac guys that make'm so errie.  Is it a cult thing?

Seems like some are trying to use the JEDI mind trick, " You *WILL* port to the Mac now...Porting to the make is easy...These are not the Droids you are looking for..."

Oz posted in a different thread a few words of advice that hold true here:

" I find it best not to unleash the FULL oddity at once..."

Some of these posts have loosely veiled threats and a few hidden 3D messages I think.
( If you stare at them long enough   )

HTC has already stated, more than once, that *AT THIS TIME* it is not financially feasable.

Translation:
*AT THIS TIME* there is NO money to do so.  Once the pay subscriptions roll (ya know, from us Crazy PC users) & the money starts rolling in, debts get paid, salaries get covered, & maybe a little profit will be left to throw back into
Mac development.

Unless...
1. There are one or two extraordinary MAC programers in the area of HTC offices that would like to volunteer their spare time, *possibly* get paid at a later date (  ) to speed up the process.

2.The only other speed-up alternative would be to send check or money order payable to

HTC Inc.

for the

AH MAC PROGRAMMER FUND.  

(This will give HTC a true gauge of MAC interest)  I'm sure if the fund amount doesn't reach a certain point within say a month or so, then all money will be returned.

Bottom line, unless you help the *cause* with one of the 2 ways above, then you will just have to wait.

squeak, moan, complain, threaten all you want, It doesn't help the financial limitations currently present.

Hitech and company are no dummies.  They are the clever folks who created Warbirds, once THE greatest online air combat sim and Aces High looks to top that.  In my opinion AH will be successful with or without Mac development. The strong response from the online community so far proves that.

Threatening to boycott is a kin to shooting yourself in the foot, in essence robbing yourself of revenue that could go towards MAC development AT A LATER TIME.

2 pennies.

Arc T

PS - This is the only thread I have seen to date where someone (Tigger) had to explain their signature Tagline.  You MAC peeps need to loosen up...You give me the Heebie Geebees.  ( See...Look at the goose pimples on my arm.  )

[This message has been edited by ArcTangent (edited 10-06-1999).]

Offline Flathat

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 1999, 03:49:00 PM »
FWIW...don't want to flame anyone or denigrate their preferences, just relating personal experience...

I used a Mac at work for 10 years, and bought 2 for home during that period. Not a darned thing wrong with the platform.

In April, TPTB--more accurately TPT Sign My Paycheck--decided my dept. and one other were going to volunteer to go WinTel, since we decided we needed to be able to do magazine-design-and-production-type-things-and-stuff on either platform.

Okay..."Hall! Bangalore!" "Yes, Sarge," says I, saluting, putting on my tin hat, grabbing the bangalore and crawling up to the wire, where sat a tricked out Dell OptiPlex running NTW 4.0.

Fast forward to October 8.

I don't miss the Mac. I won't bash it, but I don't miss it. In fact, I so don't miss it I went out and bought a P166/32/2.0/12x/SB16 ISA from a good friend ($100), picked up a Canon BJC printer ($52 incl. shipping courtesy eBay), found an STB Velocity4400 16MB PCI video card ($69 incl. shipping, found thru PriceWatch), and I'm using the same external 28.8 modem (all I need to fly, and less strain on the old 200W power supply) and--with a cheap, or more accurately free, adapter--my already-on-hand 15" Apple MultiSync monitor with the built-in stereo speakers.

When my student loan reimburses me for my out-of-pocket tuition down payment and book expenses, I'm going to sink it into a BH6/Celeron 400/64MB RAM/new case, cooler & power supply, and maybe a Labway or equiv. Yamaha 724 PCI sound card. At usually under $20, awesome value for money (it's what I use at work, since the Dell doesn't have a game port).

So I get to fly--however badly--now, with the certain hope of flying much better (from the hardware standpoint, anyway) in a few weeks. I've tweaked the video for better frame (installed the card myself   ), changed BIOS to re-enable an unaccountably disabled serial port, and lived to tell about it (more to the point, so did the computer).

It'll get me 30-40 fps in all conditions (anything over 24 is just gravy anyway), for about $700. And I can overclock if I can pass the gut check.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Dark Side(tm)   maybe isn't as bad as it's made out to be. It's worked out well for me...just as the Emperor had foreseen.  

------------------
Flathat
'Black Dahlia'
No10 RNAS "The Black Flight"
Angel on your wing, devil on your tail

[This message has been edited by Flathat (edited 10-08-1999).]

funked

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 1999, 04:05:00 PM »
"the ideal platform for a sim would be Linux or FreeBSD"

Oh yeah that would be great.  Boy, they might get 10 or hell even 20 subscribers!

devilcat

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 1999, 10:14:00 PM »
cc

------------------
-dcat-

Jedman

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 1999, 03:46:00 AM »
Nothing like putting a post where it won't get read  

I happen to use both Macs and PCs equally for home and office work.  PC's are far superior for gaming and even for many business apps.

As a matter of fact, the "stable" G3 I use crashes more often than my Win98 PC.

<Jedman hands out the gasoline cans for all to use>

Offline Surfer

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 1999, 10:19:00 AM »
Jedman...I don't have a G3 *7500_120mhz 604 for me*, but I agree with your assessment.

My P3_500/256megs RAM/SCSI/TNT/21" Trinitron Dell Optiplex NT4 box at work is THE most stable computer I've ever owned. Looking forward to Win2K's multiprocessor support.

-Surfer
"If you're not having fun...you're doing something wrong"

Offline Surfer

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 1999, 05:57:00 PM »
Hey -ik-  ...off topic warning here.

I'm a Santa Cruz local and work for O'neill's.

<g>

-Surfer
"If you're not having fun...you're doing something wrong"