Ar234
« on: September 14, 2002, 10:09:27 AM »
Cant get that jet bomber off the ground :(

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Ar234
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 12:43:40 PM »
Trim all the way up (or down lol, well the way to make the nose wanna go up). Set full throttle and use the entire runway before trying to pull back and lift off, be very gentle at first and just settle for a very slow climb (about 100-250ft/min) until your speed has build up over 200-225mph. Then just go about as normal, maybe setting it on autoclimb.

The RATO (Rocket Assisted Take-Off), is as the name suggests designed to help in take off, but it really isn't necessary, and I usually keep them on for if I encounter some enemy that might be able to catch me and I need to get out in a hurry.
If you DO wanna use the RATO on take off, then don't start it until just before you try to lift off. Starting them before you start rolling is a waste.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Ar234
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 12:54:37 PM »
Also remeber to retract the gear the moment you are airborne.

One notch of flaps can also be used, but once you get to about 160-175 mph retract them again.
The key issue in taking off is being able to apply just the right ammount of back pressure that lets the ar234 just barely climb. Pulling to much just stalls it out and you'll never get airborne.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Ar234
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 03:19:53 PM »
First off, DO NOT use ar234 formations, they don't work.  Even if you manage to get them airborn, landing them is nearly impossible.  (They wont slow down with you, instead they drift out in front untill they explode)

Taking off in a 234 with rato is fairly easy, just wait untill your speed hits about 100mph, hit the rato.  At about 130mph, ease back on the stick to get your nose off the ground, you will become airborn a moment later.  Climb about a hundred feet, then level out, and use the remaining rato to pick up speed.  At about 160, raise your flaps, and continue level untill you hit 250mph, then go onto alt-x and have a nice flight.

Without the rato, it's basicly the same, except you are going to barely get airborn at the end of the runway, and you''re going to be picking up speed just a few feet above the ground.  It's easier to takeoff without rato when the runway goes over a cliff, allowing you to dive a bit for speed.