Author Topic: Engine model  (Read 162 times)

Offline bod

• Zinc Member
Engine model
« on: July 26, 1999, 01:57:00 PM »
In WB all the powerplants are modelled as a "generic fixed pitch" type engine/propeller combination (power is proportional with RPM).

Most of the WW2 planes had variable pitch propellers with constant speed controllers, except from some very early types. The advantage with variable pitch (constant RPM)is of cource a much better propeller efficiency through-out the speed range, but also a close-to-instant response in power when pushing throttle due to the fact that there is almost no wasting of power in accelerating the propeller and engine components. (MSCFS is rather good in this respect). The dynamic sound of an engine with constant speed drive is also quite different from a fixed pitch propeller.

Will AH have a more "advanced" engine model than WB?. Or will it at least sound like a real engine with respect to power settings and speed? (For all practical purposes the throttle handeling could be exactly as it is in WB today).

Bod

(looking forward to flying AH on a freshly upgraded PC).

Offline -ik-

• Copper Member
      • http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffs
Engine model
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 1999, 02:41:00 PM »
i aksed in a thread below if AH will have a more complex engine model, answer is no.  

Offline bod

• Zinc Member
Engine model
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 1999, 03:33:00 PM »
Oops, didn't see that one.

I have to refrase my question then  

Given the only engine control is on/off and throttle (as in WB), will the planes with constant speed drives have this in AH?

Actually it is more difficult to fly a fixed pitch plane because you constantly have to monitor the RPM in case of overspeeding the engine. In a constant speed equipped plane there will be one less thing to worry about (or worry less about). I guess the transaction from fixed pitch to variable pitch is one of those quite revolutions that only a few of us appriciate. Compared with cars it would be like going from a one speed manual transmission to an infinitely-speed fully automated transmission with RPM control.

Bod