Author Topic: Time Zones - UTC!  (Read 361 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Time Zones - UTC!
« on: October 28, 2002, 01:25:18 PM »
Just a suggestion... can please all times be given in UTC?

Remembering timediff EST to UTC and UTC to my local time zone is hard enough. But when something changes due to DST it becomes worse. With UTC as default time zone for communication everyone would just have to care about his own offset.

Thank you.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Time Zones - UTC!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 02:45:30 AM »
Currently, all times are given in Eastern time, whether it is EST or EDT, and as UK/Europe usually goes back or forward at the same time as the US, there should never be a problem - the difference will still be 5 hours for the UK and 6 hours for Europe.  The only occasions there will be any variation in time difference is if one time-zone goes forward or back ahead of the others, and even then it never lasts more than a week or two.  

I always try to keep aware of changes due to daylight savings and find out in advance when each time-zone is due to change, and if there will be any variation, I will publicise it well in advance of any events which could be affected.  Otherwise, all you need to remember is the usual time difference between your time-zone and Eastern time, and all should be well.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Time Zones - UTC!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 01:03:52 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy
I always try to keep aware of changes due to daylight savings and find out in advance when each time-zone is due to change, and if there will be any variation, I will publicise it well in advance of any events which could be affected.

If times were always given in UTC this would not be neccessary. Not for you, not for anyone else.

That a time difference is well defined (most of the year anyway) doesn't make it easy to use.