Author Topic: Should I see The Rolling Stones?  (Read 289 times)

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Should I see The Rolling Stones?
« on: August 19, 2006, 05:46:03 AM »
The Rolling Stones are coming to my town (Louisville, Kentucky) at the end of September and are playing at Churchill Downs.  While the Stones have never been my favorite band, I've always been a fan of them as I like classic rock.

My question, is of course, should I see them?  Trying to balance the pros and cons here-  I'm in college and working part time, so I'm not overflowing with money.  Tickets start at $70.  I have been a fan of classic rock since I was a kid, and really got into it when I was running competitively (long hours training, just me and my walkman).

There is one Stones' song that I like in particular.  Its called "Shes a Rainbow".  One cold winter morning, I got off from work and I headed to the park for a run before school.  As I was running through the park, getting higher and higher in elevation.  That song came on the radio, and I suddenly forgot about how cold I was, or how many miles I had run (and still had left to run), or how I tired I was.  I was jamming along, running at a pretty good clip.  Before I knew it, I was at the top of the park, the highest point in the city, and I was looking out over the frozen metropolis.  Pretty cool!

Offline MoeRon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 06:27:27 AM »
I was never nuts about the Stones either and i saw them during the Emotional Rescue tour in the late 70's.  Go ahead and see them, just so you can tell your grandchildren.  ;)
My very first concert was Led Zepplin in 1974 at the Chicago Stadium where the Blackhawks used to play, i was 14.   Now that was a tough crowd......my first contact high.  lol
Lotteries are a tax for people who suck at math.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 07:05:30 AM »
Originally posted by MoeRon
I was never nuts about the Stones either and i saw them during the Emotional Rescue tour in the late 70's.  Go ahead and see them, just so you can tell your grandchildren.  ;)
My very first concert was Led Zepplin in 1974 at the Chicago Stadium where the Blackhawks used to play, i was 14.   Now that was a tough crowd......my first contact high.  lol

Sweet! My very first concert was Led Zeppelin at Capitol Center in DC in 1977.-- Saw Stones in early 80's for same reason (They CANT be around much longer:O ) So..I assume Keith Richards has recovered from the fall?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:21:29 AM »
Originally posted by bj229r
Sweet! My very first concert was Led Zeppelin at Capitol Center in DC in 1977.-- Saw Stones in early 80's for same reason (They CANT be around much longer:O ) So..I assume Keith Richards has recovered from the fall?

They cancelled a show in Leningrad (er, StPeterburg)  after Keith felt from a palm-tree... Just like in a joke from the 70s, about an African student... Very politically incorrect ;)

I saw them in Msk in 1998, definetly was worth it, not a best show I have seen - but I'll tell my grandchildren that I have seen Rolling Stones live :D

Just like other guys here tell they saw LZ...

I only saw Robert Plant in Msk, got so enthusiasticly drunk that I lost my cellular...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:28:57 AM »
Shrimp, that purely your decision based on how you feel about seeing/hearing the stones versus parting with hard earned money just to see them (I'm assuming you work...)  Personally I won't see most of the bands from my teen years due to the cost of tickets.  For example, Tom Petty is playing at an outdoor amphitheathre just down the road from us, tickets START at $100, and thats for the lawn all the way in the back (no seats).  $175 if you want to sit near the stage.  Rediculous....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 08:36:41 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 08:37:53 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Shrimp, that purely your decision based on how you feel about "seeing" the stones and parting with hard earned money just to see them (I'm assuming you work...)  Personally I won't see most of the bands from my teen years due to the cost of tickets.  For example, Tom Petty is playing at an outdoor amphitheathre just down the road from us, tickets START at $100, and thats for the lawn all the way in the back (no seats).  $175 if you want to sit near the stage.  Rediculous....

Madonna (!!!) performs here on sight-seeing square near the University building, and tickets start from 1500 rubles (~$60).

Usually I pay 1000-1500 rubles for a concert, like Deep Purple (they gather a 20,000 stadium here), Jethro Tull, etc. Roger Waters had a concert on Red Square this summer, and tickets started from 3,500 rubles! And it's for standing BEHIND the "VIP" seats, unable to see the band!!! I don't support such business.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 08:40:12 AM »
the fact that you are asking yourself the question about whether to see them or not will mean that you will regret it if you do not...
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »
I heard the Stones will be touring with Aerosmith.... because thats the only way Medicare will cover it!  :lol

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »
I just checked, the cheapest tickets left start off at $150!!  Too much for me.  I would have done it if they had any $50-60 tickets.

Its The Rolling Stones and Alice Cooper.  Nows thats going to be a show.