Author Topic: Staying online  (Read 231 times)

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
Staying online
« on: November 10, 2002, 12:05:21 AM »
Not sure which forum would be best for this question, so I'll try this one first and see if I get a nibble.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good application to fool your isp into thinking you're active online?  Mine recently started doing what AOHell used to do before I ditched them -- boot you if you're "inactive" for 45 minutes or so.

I've tried one called "Stay Alive" but, unless I've configured it wrong, it doesn't seem to be helping. I still get a popup that tells me I've been inactive for 45 minutes and will be disconnected unless I click the 'stay connected' button.

This is a considerable annoyance while trying to play AH, as you can imagine.

Any suggestions?
I'll switch isp's if needed -- not wedded to MSN by any stretch -- but I'd like to try a simpler solution first.

Splash1

Offline airbull

• Nickel Member
Staying online
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 04:59:59 AM »
surely if your playing AH u must be active. Even if your in the tower your reciving info from others????
'Crashed slow-rolling near ground. Bad show'

http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
Staying online
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 08:47:24 AM »
Look in your dun settings for this connx and make sure the timeout isn't enabled.

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
Staying online
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 03:11:56 PM »
"surely if your playing AH u must be active. Even if your in the tower your reciving info from others????"

Yeah, you'd think.  Apparently msn doesn't see it that way... I dunno.  I tried to ask msn support about what constitutes being "active," but the guy on the other end of chat was kind of evasive ... said the feature was there to ensure faster service on busy lines.  They did suggest changing the connection phone number (we're talking 56k dialup here) -- which I did -- but that didn't make any difference.

"Look in your dun settings for this connx and make sure the timeout isn't enabled."

I checked the setup, and timeout was not enabled.  BTW, this 'feature' coincided with the arrival of MSN8 ... I had no similar problem with the service before the upgrade.

I found another app called "Stay Connected" by a company called inKline Global.  Anyone have any experience with that one?

Splash1