Author Topic: serious question  (Read 140 times)

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
serious question
« on: November 10, 2002, 09:56:51 AM »
WHat u guys think ?

Does Aces High need any real competitor ?

In my opinion Aces high doesnt go forward like other games like IL-2 or even warbirds go.
Aces High is for sure the overall best Sim but the grafic is getting old and the Damage Model is a piece of ....

Also the strat system isnt there.

What u think ?
Freeze

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mp3.com/einsteinband
serious question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 10:20:50 AM »
I dont know. AH has updates every few months.

But if you mean lack of innovation, that I can agree with. Granted, AH has innovated some excellent new ideas, the core of the game is still the same game design the Air Warrior developers at Kesmai dreamed up in... I have no idea.. late 1980-something.

AH IS Air Warrior's fundimental game design.

So is Fighter Ace. So is Warbirds.

The real question is, when are we going to get something different?

World War II Online -- now that is a different game design! Very bold and very ambitious. Just talking from a design standpoint here...

The new mission theater coming up is a step in the right direction I think. It has been a long long time since an online combat flight simulation has pushed the envelope for something truely different.

Beeker

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
serious question
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 10:29:46 AM »
I am far less concerned about the "eye candy" than I am the still prevalent CTD's. What use is pretty pictures when you can't keep the game running?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: serious question
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 11:05:19 AM »
Originally posted by fffreeze220
In my opinion Aces high doesnt go forward like other games like IL-2 or even warbirds go.

What u think ?

I think you had a bad time of it at A42 this morning and yer pissed off :)

C'mon Freeze, gimme a break. IMHO AH has the best flight models, gets constant improvement and is a damned fine bargain at $15 @ mo. Go fly WB3 for a week or so and give us your findings.

DamnedMax

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
serious question
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 12:14:35 PM »
I tried Warbirds and the FM is mega BS.
Thats no question.

I have no clue what Ht is planning for the future.
And that is what he should change.
He maybe should provide us more often with Informtion in what kind of direction this game gonna go.

Maybe report every month what they are working on or what they are thinking about.
Ok they showed us some pics of the new 51 and some really good light effects, but is that it ?

OK they will bring out the Tiger tank.
A perk tank with the current Damage model ?
Where a mustang can kill it ?
U wont see me in 1.

A nevermind maybe i am just really to pissed about the MA gang bang.
Maybe i should just start flying a N1k and HO every enemy i see regardles if i die or not :)

Freeze out
Freeze

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
serious question
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 12:31:24 PM »
Why do you want something different?

Is near-constant change the only way for a computer game to survive?
sand

Offline Catching Spies

• Zinc Member
serious question
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 01:10:35 PM »
AH is what you make out of it... can it get boring real fast? Yes is the community growing...hard to measure but I would guess 1% every three months. Will the mission theater save this game....NO Will there be people who will disagree...Yes. "Who wants to fly around for 30+ minutes drop bombs do a couple of passes drop to the deck to run home....sounds very boring to me. I want to play a game that is entertaining 95% of the time. Within the next six months there will be no less than 25 new MMPOLG hitting the market...Space sims, FPS, Sims online, SWG, Star Trek and many more.

I hope HTC is a market leader versus reacting to the market.

PS: I'm not a programer but how hard would it be to add a new plane, Feature or aspect to the game every 20 days?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
serious question
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 01:11:23 PM »
It's too easy to be a critic on these boards.  When I look back a couple of years and see how far AH has come with just the small crew they have, I am simply amazed.     I'm in awe of their programming abilities and business sense.

Having said that, I do wish we'd get more information from them about what's coming.  I feel involved with the game on a deeper level than just playing a few hours a week.  I'm genuinely interested in what's in the works, how it will affect gameplay, plans for future aircraft, progress reports, etc.    I think it'd be a great way to generate pertinent topics of discussion on this board.   As it is now, the board generally seems to be whines about gameplay.    That can't be too impressive to newcomers.

I think I'd strive for quarterly updates to the game version if it was me.   If that's an overly aggressive pace for programming changes, every other version could be just new planes.   Personally I'd rather get more new planes into the game ASAP - it'll help greatly with scenarios (TBM subbing for the "Kate" in Midway - blecchh!), and may help the CT and/or the Mission Theater become a more popular option.

Its been over 4 months now since 1.10 came out, and we've had only a very brief description of the changes for v1.11 several months ago, and a screenshots of 3 new vehicles.

Right now, AH is simply the best, but competitors are on the horizon, and oddly, I feel like I know more about what's coming in them than I do about what's coming in AH.   It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 6 months to a year.

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
serious question
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 02:56:05 PM »
Right now, AH is simply the best, but competitors are on the horizon, and oddly, I feel like I know more about what's coming in them than I do about what's coming in AH. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 6 months to a year.

That's it.
Freeze

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
serious question
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2002, 03:56:01 PM »
AH is an excellent sim. The FM is about the best I've seen. A few things need 'tweaking' and few bugs need to be squashed. If they make a few changes and additions once every 6 months, great! If they do that once a year, great!

I like the game just like it is. Sure there is always room for improvment but HTC always seem to be working on it and listening to their customers wishes, more than most. That's all you can ask. If you don't like it go fly in WB or WWIIO, you'll be back ~ trust me.

On the issue of "What's happening behind the scenes" type of updates I'd have to agree. I'd would like to hear more of what's in the works too. All in all you must admit HTC appears to be a class act and I for one am thankful they're here.

As to the original question, yes, competition is always a good thing.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
serious question
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2002, 05:02:53 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Why do you want something different?

Is near-constant change the only way for a computer game to survive?

no, people are sheep, and are mostly scared of change