Author Topic: Is Shaw's book worth $60 Cdn?  (Read 713 times)

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
Is Shaw's book worth $60 Cdn?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
Gee, I ordered it through Amazon books online for $29 US - after exchange and shipping it was still under $50 CDN. It arrived in less than 2 weeks. I find it pretty heavy going as a read, and it is strongly oriented to real-world fighter flying - which means with wingmen - a fairly unusual experience in AH these days (for me anyway).

I also STRONGLY recommend ordering 'To Fly and Fight - Memoirs of a Triple Ace' by Clarence 'Bud' Anderson - I just received an autographed copy of this superb book last week.  'Bud' Anderson, pilot of the "Old Crow" p51s and good friend of Chuck Yeager (NOT his wingman though). Bud's son is marketing the book online and it is a thrill to own a copy that has been signed by this living legend. He flew p51Bs, a p51B with Malcolm hood (I think that was his favourite) and a p51D on his second tour of duty. He includes a lot of interesting details about flying these aircraft. His descriptions of dogfights are intense.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2001, 08:42:00 AM »
Udie and I had the priveledge of having Mouse camped out on our boxes during the AH con in October, then I was also priveledged to sit down and have dinner with him as well, nice guy all around.

Offline bojc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
HEhe mouses' book fer 60 bucks?

I've got pictures of mouse mooning the palm spring WB con at gunjams pool, I'll sell for less than that.

Mouse is da MAN! Salute!

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
Its a great book,it helped me get better in flight sims, I often go thru it every now and then to help keep the info fresh in my mind.  

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
Before buying it, I discussed it with some colleagues - ex RAF pilots - and their advice was that I'd be a fool not to buy it if I were serious.

------------------
qts

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
While it's a great book, it's not easy to understand...it's best used in conjunction with the trainers (Who hopefully have and understands it).
 I used it with a fair number of students when I was traiing in WB and having  the ability to both reference to the book and show them the actual maneuver flown was a great help.
 Pay special attention to the part about lift-vector...it's the most essential thing in ACM.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
 www.56thfightergroup.org
This is Yardstick, follow me"

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2001, 09:50:00 PM »
"is Shaws book worth $60.00 canadian?"

Yup.

It's filled with first person accounts, quotes from the big boys of air combat from 6 decades of war in the skies, many many many diagrams of fights, their evolvement, their outcomes...

In short; this is the BIBLE of ACM. It teaches SA, energy, position, gunnery, dissimilar and similar ACM tactics, 1v2, 1v1, 2v2, section tactics.. all of it. In as much detail as you can assimilate. It can be (and will be if you are serious about becoming GOOD) read HUNDREDS of times, with each re-read producing more valuable knowledge and insight into the total experience of ACM. (Air Combat Manuvering)

Yes. Buy this book.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.