Author Topic: helping newbies..  (Read 221 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
helping newbies..
« on: December 10, 2002, 03:11:57 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something here but when I sign up to help new folks I get a "new user X has entered" message.  Since this does tit without regard to the new user actually wanting help there is not a way for me to know if they actually want it.  This sound right?

Offline EDO43

• Copper Member
helping newbies..
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 03:17:11 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately, that's the same experience I had with it.  You have no idea who wants help and who doesn't.  I used to ask everyone that came online if they wanted help but that gets really tiring after awhile and usually gets a "no thankyou" response or no response at all.  I gave up.....
Mawey -a-  tsmukan

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
helping newbies..
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 04:20:25 PM »
I think those are typical responses in the TA, a lot of guys there are not really there for training, they are simply there to furball with reduced lethality.

Would be best if on the first login, a new player was asked in a dialog "Would you like some help", at which time he could select YES and appear on the training list, or NO, and not be on the list.  He could withdraw from that list, or be added, at any time.  Would be neat to have that available to trainers so they can look at newer players and know it is someone who is serious, rather than radio'ing a half dozen guys who all ignore you.

It'd be cool if HT could add a 1 line comment from a player looking for training, giving a good time, and what he is looking to work on, so people willing to offer help could pick a person who is looking for something they can teach.  He's added a couple of other things that have been improvements too.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
helping newbies..
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 05:12:10 PM »
I had the same expericance in the MA. set up to train but its real hard to connect with people that were on the list. I think its a great idea but needs to go a step or two farther to get people together easily.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
helping newbies..
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 05:15:20 PM »
I was actually refering to the MA but it shure would be helpful in both locations.  I wonder how much business HT is losing by folks getting frustrated and leaving before the 2 weeks is up..

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
helping newbies..
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 06:21:59 PM »
Folks who are leaving are more likely frustrated with the level of play in the MA.  The MA is rather ruthless and people tend to come in before they should, and get smoked, over and over and over.....

Part of that is the situation where the counter starts running on a 2 week trial account, part of it is impatience to get into the "Real" game.  Best to at least learn how to fly before popping up in the MA.  A grace period in the TA would be excellent with the 2 week trial starting once the pilot decides to enter the MA... with a CAP on total time.

The training tools have improved a bunch though, I remember trying to help people set up Roger Wilco so I could actually talk to them and not have to type everything in the buffer.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
helping newbies..
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 07:27:16 PM »
Would be best if on the first login, a new player was asked in a dialog "Would you like some help", at which time he could select YES and appear on the training list, or NO, and not be on the list. He could withdraw from that list, or be added, at any time. Would be neat to have that available to trainers so they can look at newer players and know it is someone who is serious, rather than radio'ing a half dozen guys who all ignore you.

I thought this is what happened now?

I was helping (trying) a Venezuelan lad, a bit hard as his english was not really good enough, and my spanish suks, but today when he came in the MA he did not show on the training list, but I dod know that he is new.

I thought for the first two weeks its asks you if you want to be added to the list,

at least I got him flying, only problem now is I'm his only friend and he's forever trying to join me, and I cant get him to understand the radio properly so he can tune it to me, very frustrating as you pull for a shot and WHAM 'thingy would like to join you' :(

what AH really needs is manuals in different languages so the new guys can get the basics from that.

or a button in the clipboard with 'BASIC' functions like radio tuneing, maximising the text buffer etc..

:)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 07:29:37 PM by Blank »

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
helping newbies..
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 07:28:46 PM »
One of the big problems as I see it is the TA itself.  When I first came to AH the lethality was turned down, but you could still get shot down in a single pass (although they'd have to hit you HARD).  There wer also, as I remember it, a lot of experienced pilots flying around willing to lend a hand.  Then there was that rush of new people and the TA tunred into vulchfest kindegarten.  The knocked the lethality down to about 1% and no one goes there any more.  I think it makes dogfighting more productive but I can see how it's a bit anticlimactic.  You can't blame HTC for this as the TA was utter chaos for awhile.

As I see it "trainers" should also be sort of "moderators" with the ability to boot and put temporary bans on people that aren't mature enough to respect those willing to learn.  Their prescence should also be maximized.  I am willing to do this, if it is needed.