Author Topic: What is it about public American tragedies...  (Read 640 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
What is it about public American tragedies...
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2003, 05:31:27 PM »
Funked..If I dont think the world has changed or should change because a US Aircraft has crashed, am I anti american?
We had 7 kids killed in an avalanche here on the same day the shuttle went down..which should bother us more?
Does the fact that the crew of that shuttle had to try harder and train longer and compete to a much higher level make it more tragic then 7 guys killed in a van coming back from work digging a ditch?

Offline NOD2000

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2003, 05:56:02 PM »
I guess some people will never get it. Those 7 men and women aboard Columbia are honored for a different reason than your average joe.

These men and women represented humanity as a whole. Most of them came from different countries discarding their different beliefs, religions, country's disputes/old wars to come together with one common goal. This common goal is to help mankind as a whole.

As population grows more and more, and the need to feed people, and house people gets bigger and bigger we will have to move on to other places(and probably planets in time). Many people still do not realize this idea, but these men and women who died, died  for a cause to help greaten humanity as a whole it was for humanities future not just some science project and it was not just America who was hurt, It was humanty as a whole.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2003, 05:58:04 PM by NOD2000 »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2003, 07:27:35 PM »
It doesnt mean you are anti-American Pongo. I guess it means you just dont get it. Why cant people just grieve and show their respect?  You cant honestly believe that by people showing sympothy for those who have fallen and thier families takes away from other peoples tragedies. It doesnt mean that the death of people that are not "high profile" is insignificant. Surely you understand that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2003, 09:43:41 PM by Slash27 »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2003, 07:30:31 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
It doesnt mean you are anti-American Pongo. I guess it means you just dont get it. Why cant people just grieve and show their repect?  You cant honestly believe that by people showing sympothy for those who have fallen and thier families takes away from other peoples tragedies. It doesnt mean that the death of people that are not "high profile" is insignificant. Surely you understand that.

Pongo probably does, but the media certainly doesn't.
sand

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2003, 09:00:56 PM »
I don't think MrSid was being anti-American.  He was simply being harshly egalitarian.  I have seen that kind of response to all tragedies, be they a shuttle breaking up over Texas and taking seven people with it or a jumbo jet going down in the Ukraine and taking two hundred and fifty two people with it.  There are simply people who see everybody as having the same value, regardless of the specifics.

They aren't anti-Russian when they disagree with caring about Russin victims of an air disaster and they aren't anti-Filipino when they mock people for caring about the victims of a ferry disaster.

In all cases they are being very rude and insensitve, but their beef isn't with a country, it is with us who place our sympathy and hopes in a particular set of people and not with the random victims of everyday automobile accidents.

For my part I think they are wrong, and I think they are juvenile to spout their inflamitory comments when people are obviously mourning.

The Columbia and the seven Astronauts abourd her were carrying a portion of our hope for a better tommorrow, and when they died that bit of hope died.  Because they risked, and payed with, their lives to carriy that hope they are heros.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-