Author Topic: Saitek X-36/T-36 config advice  (Read 949 times)

Karaya One

Saitek X-36/T-36 config advice
« on: May 07, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
This topic really belongs in the technical support section but I know more people view this area.

Ive developed a few profiles for the Saitek but im wondering if any experienced owners would like to pass on any configuration wisdom?

Stuff like stick scalings and any button combinations I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance

Karaya One
Flying Pigs

Offline Vosper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
I use the X36F and I know a few others in VMF-323 have the same HOTAS.  I could send you the profile I use, if you want, but be advised I've change around a number of the keyboard mappings to support the profile.

Cheers

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
This might be usefull:

Use the Aux mode switch for bombing sight. You can make it open automatically bomb doors at the same time and close them, when you exit the bomb sight (switch back to 1). This can be made also in normal buttons, but the switcher is unused otherwise and normal buttons always have good uses.

Use the rotaries for trimming. Put 3 areas, low for trim down button press, center for no commands and upper area for trim up press. Same thing for the aeliron trim.

I use the left hand hat for 4+4 buttons (using pinkie switch), like flaps, engine start and all autopilots. Put the most used commands in the most reachable buttons, ie Wep for red throttle button. Screenshot and record movie can be used with pinkie switch in the "fire c" button located in the back of stick.

Karaya One

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »

Originally posted by Tuomio:

Use the Aux mode switch for bombing sight. You can make it open automatically bomb doors at the same time and close them, when you exit the bomb sight (switch back to 1).

Use the rotaries for trimming. Put 3 areas, low for trim down button press, center for no commands and upper area for trim up press. Same thing for the aeliron trim.

I already use the aux button for the bombsight but having the doors open automatically sounds interesting.

My flaps are programmed into one of them and you need move it and then move it back to the indent before it drops/raises another notch. I too configured it as you described with 3 zones. Im wondering if there is anyway to have the rotaries mirror the full travel of the trim with the indent representing the middle.

Thanks Vosper and Tuomio

[This message has been edited by Karaya One (edited 05-07-2001).]

Offline Vosper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
I doubt it, since the trim keys themselves are only a press and hold function, not on an axis like the elevators.  I've never really figured out the aux buttons - I use the mode switch to go between regular, landing, and bombing/gunning modes.

Cheers

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by Karaya One:
 Im wondering if there is anyway to have the rotaries mirror the full travel of the trim with the indent representing the middle.

[This message has been edited by Karaya One (edited 05-07-2001).]

Sadly no. Someone asked this question on the saitek help website. The rotarys can only represent keystrokes the same as anyother button within SGE. I dont think it can be done within keymapping software but i bet it could be done within the game. the X36 has rotaries and so will the new thrustmaster. Maby its possible and will be implimanted down the road?  

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Aces high reconizes the rotaries and you can use them as rudder if you would want so..But it doesent have analog trims, so the only way you can use the rotaries it to make it hold the button when you move it.

Maybe hitech would make analog trims available in next version.

Karaya One

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback.

I did indeed configure the rotaries for trim.

Also had to move the hi-views to the lower coolie hat via use of the pinky-switch. I found the upper coolie hat too far for combat.

Despite the fact its takes some getting used to, its REAL nice to have a joystick that isnt spiking. The movement is very fluid and precise.

The digital throttle rudder takes a bit to get used too. Still curious to see how everyone has them scaled.

Implemented some of the changes mentioned here, so far so good.

Now, is there any way to configure an AUTO ACM button? hehe  

------------------
Karaya One
Flying Pigs Squadron

[This message has been edited by Karaya One (edited 05-08-2001).]

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
My online flying experiments indicated that the rotary dials should be avoided for trim use. If you start to see strange things happening and loose control with other commands check your rotary dials to see if they are left out of the detent. This is a side effect of using rotarys for trim.

You can try my profile offered on the Hitech download pages for a start if you want. It includes a read me file.

Ranger Bob

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2001, 01:01:00 AM »
I use the rotories for zoom in and out for the map and "z"view.  Use A and B for elevator trim and pinkie+A for combat trim.  Looks like great minds think alike regarding the use of the Aux slider switch  I use Gamecommander 2 for most of the non-time sensitive commands.  This is a great piece of software!!  Now all I need is a new PCDash for macro's like:chnl1:"Dweeb CHOG HO Driver. Your MA wears combat boots!!!!"  That way you can taunt while in the fight heheee

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2001, 01:18:00 AM »
I try rotary trims in my X36 use/SGE2.3 and it was totally misery.

I change Ail & El trims to the mouse hat and rudder trim to the original rudder rocker. This setup is way much better.

Only thing what I have now in rotary is Clip Booard Map zoom.

Rotary trims maybe could use if X36 & SGE could recognize rotary movment DIRECTION and give different commands when it rolls left and right. There is one doubt. Rotarys are sooo light to use and I afraid that SGE and AH could not follow hyper fast trim changes.

Siinä mun kaks penniä.

Xjazz

Offline Vosper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
I have always used the rotary knobs for trim, once I figured them out.

I set up three bands, with the middle being a deadband (0-45, 46-54, 55-100 for the ranges).  Having two bands seperated only by the centre detent would cause sporatic input.

Having the aileron trim under my thumb, I can easily trim at any time.

Cheers

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
Inn addition to the problems you can experience programming the rotary wheels where they might be left out of center detent, I find much more accuracy by programming the trim commands into the 4 way hat on the throttle where your index finger would go. Clicking this hat in one direction can give you exact notch by notch trimming. Holding it down in that direction and you'll get constant commands that will let you fly out of compression, as an example.

Ranger Bob