Author Topic: How about Early AND Late War Arenas?  (Read 226 times)

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
How about Early AND Late War Arenas?
« on: March 27, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
In the Early war arena - up to say, end of 1943, you could perk the hot 1943 vintage aircraft like 190As and p51Bs, but then p40s, hurricanes, 109Es, buffalos, gladiators, bostons, stukas,etc. would be usable.

When I say perk , I mean modest prices like
say, 15 or 20 perk points.
Only downside would be the splitting of numbers of online players between 2 arenas.
Just a thought.....

lazs

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
fluffy... I don't believe in seperate arenas... I like a seprate "area" in the same arena for early war that had some geographical barrier.  

seperate arenas usually end up with one of em being deserted and hard feelings.  Seperate arenas break up squads and buddies.  

A seperate "area" with the same dar negates some of these problems IMO.  It is much easier to say to your squaddies "this sucks, lets move to the early war field it looks like there is some good action over there" than it is to say "this sucks lets all log out and back into the other arena" and then find that nobody else is there anyway.
lazs

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »
Yes - that's an even better idea - separate
areas within one arena...I like it.  Perhaps
a longish ocean flight apart. Almost like
different theatres - obsolete aircraft WERE
relegated to remote theatres in WWII, so the
concept is authentic enough.
fluf

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
Oh gawd....lazs has a disciple now.  

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
Fluffy.

Stop stealing my ideas. I posted this a while back.

AND STOP READING MY MIND! YOU WORK FOR THE GREYS, DON'T YOU! HA! I'M ON TO YOU AND YOUR BLACK HELICOPTER ILK!

~Lemur

oops. forgot my meds again.

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2001, 07:29:00 PM »
I like the separate areas idea, too, and I don't think that separate arenas work.  Just look at the attendence in the new arena now.  Then again, I don't mind (too much) flying early war birds against the late war ones.  

But I had this idea the other day to address two 'problems' at once...

Instead of not allowing any planes to take off when fighter hangers are down, disallow only late war (and perk) planes from using the field.  Maybe that would provide more incentive to fly early war birds at times.

anRky

lazs

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
anarky.. I know that you and some others (and even myself on occasion) would fly early war planes in a late war centric arena like we have now but... even with the idiotic perk system we have planes in the arena right now that would cream early war planes that no one is using!

with the seperate area idea you wouldn't even need the bacward working "perk" planes.   You could eventually have a very late war "area".  the way it would work is that the mid war would be by far the largest area with the other two the smallest.   Popularity could dictate size.   In the "area" concept there would be parity of planes (within areas) and allmost unlimited choice.
lazs

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
I'd like to see the main arena set up for early war along historical lines like 2 country bob terrain with alot of weather or 2 country pacific terrain for the japanese war for 1 week a month....it's only fair to early war fans and I think would be a great selling point for HT during this time of so many wwii movies making their way into the pop culture. The late war fans would get 3 weeks a month..seems an equitable setup. I dont know, maybe there just arn't that many early war historical fans out there to make it worth it...would be interesting to find out though.  Either way, I guess we're just gonna have to wait for the planes to arrive to do it anyway and I get the impression that the early war plane set it pretty much at the bottom of the companies list of things to do. Either way, they'll keep gettin' my 30 bucks a month  

CRASH

lazs

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
crash... I been around a while and I don't know for sure either.  It does seem that although I enjoy early war that I am in the minority.   I really hesitate to "force" people to fly early war planes or take away choice as in a rolling plane set.   OTOH... I really don't find two arenas to have been a viable solution in the past and mixing up all the planes in one arena will make the early ones useless unless some specific "area" is set asside for em.
lazs

Offline DoKtor GonZo

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com/DoK/
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
A separate area will need an awful lot of ocean to prevent someone doing something evil (oh ... like flying late war planes to it ... now who'd do a thing like that?).

The rolling plane set concept probably is the best compromise. I think it'd work better here than ... elsewhere ... simply because AH gives each plane a more fighting chance. Imagine going 3/4 the way through a tour without seeing a CHog.

-DoK

lazs

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
dok.. the barrier could be as simple as a 45K mountain range or a "fuel modifier" that sucked your tanks dry as you crossed a boundry.   for most people 4 sectors would make it so boring as to be not worth it tho.  Also... If early war fields were down in the twisty canyons of "canyon world" 4 sectors away... well... i would welcome the late war monsters that were running on fumes  fighting me in the canyons.

Either way... the late war planes wouldn't be much problem.  A lot of people don't like RPS.. they are (or think they are) one trick ponies and very adverse to any change in plane choice or... they just dislike one or more "eras" in a RPS.
lazs

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
Wouldn't a one or two day a week historical arena keep everyone happy?  Each week could be rotated to each campaign area.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by Replicant:
Wouldn't a one or two day a week historical arena keep everyone happy?  Each week could be rotated to each campaign area.

Yeah man.. and we could also have organized events that have historical match ups too. It's be so cool, we could have it set up to run several frames so everyone can find a time to fly and stuff. Yeah and we can name them Check Six! and have weekly historical events on Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's with one life to live utilising different theater's of operations and call them Snapshots.....

Wait a minute.......    
-SW

Offline DoKtor GonZo

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com/DoK/
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2001, 05:02:00 PM »
Let's put it this way ... some people who will go nameless would fly half an hour in Ye Olde Air Warrior in order to get a jet into the WW1 arena. At $6/hr.

These same people would fly well over an hour to get a WW1 plane to the WW2 arena when the "fix" for the above was that any WW2 plane hitting a WW1 plane died.

Where there's a sheep, there's a way.

-DoK

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKSeaWulfe:
Yeah man.. and we could also have organized events that have historical match ups too. It's be so cool, we could have it set up to run several frames so everyone can find a time to fly and stuff. Yeah and we can name them Check Six! and have weekly historical events on Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's with one life to live utilising different theater's of operations and call them Snapshots.....

Wait a minute.......        
-SW

Hmm, I meant within the Main Arena so everyone took part - both check 6 and Snapshot events are often poorly turned out, or are you going to disagree with that too?  The MA could simply be divided into Allied/Axis... and with it lasting for 24 - 36 hours it would be a vast increase of time compared to Check 6 events.  At least this way a 'historical arena' would be feasible because if you have one seperately I wouldn't think it would attract enough against the MA.

Nexx

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 03-28-2001).]
NEXX