Author Topic: Gun sight patterning  (Read 151 times)

RoadfRash

Gun sight patterning
« on: March 29, 2001, 12:33:00 AM »
 In the offline how bout providing something we can taxi up to say from 600 to 200 yards and check how the sights are aligned, say something like you do when patterning new loads in a shot gun, and being able to turn the gun shake off in off line, so we can see how cannon alone patterns and how mg alone patterns and how both together do? Is it feasible Dale or Doug?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2001, 12:42:00 AM »
I second this request!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2001, 02:49:00 AM »
Really good idea.

But why do we have to taxe, give us a "gun test bench" button in the hangar.
So after u have ajusted covergence, u can hit "test bench",  and the plane is put in front of a wall or tgt simulator, that is at the convergence distance, and put on a bench so that its guns fire horizontal like in level flight.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2001, 03:17:00 AM »
 Go into my walls arena. I used it for that a lot. Taxiing into a wall wont tell u much. but flying into one slow while you are firing. will show you right all the ammo goes

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2001, 03:48:00 AM »
Problem with that arean i think is that if u r in flight, u do not no the exat distance, u do not always have the same speed angle etc.

The test bench gives u an enviroment that is always the same.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2001, 03:54:00 AM »
Not that I am an expert, but, wouldn't it be possible, using the terrain editor, to create a terrain especially for this?

That is, placing walls just in front the spawn point, either rnwy or hangar, with some height sings in it. If that is possible, some walls can be set to different distances on different airstrips, so different conv. values can be tested.

Just to give ideas about what I think is a problem (not being able to check actual bullit drop for different guns & ammo).

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2001, 05:23:00 AM »
Speaking of your walls arena..how the heck did I get it...didn't download it.  

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2001, 05:32:00 AM »
hehehe, Just toying with the idea, will give it a try tonite....just in case.

Cheers,

Pepe

[edit] doh! easymo's walls arena...  

[This message has been edited by Pepe (edited 03-29-2001).]

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
Good idea, I second that, but not against fixed targets. In the air you are moving at some speed, and the con is also moving at some speed.
There are some points to consider here because if you set up cnv at 350 yards and shoot with the con at 350 yards, once the bullets converge at 350 yards the con will have traveled 400 yards or more, so it will be away your cnv range.

To setup a gun test bed, a good idea could be as follows:
1 - Select own plane and target plane.
2 - Select speed of own plane and speed or target.
3 - Select separation to target in yards
4 - Select altitude.
5 - click "GUNNERY TEST" button.

Then you and the target are summoned at the selected alt, distance and speed and you can start firing. The target is summoned at your 12, coalt and flying straight ahead.

Once you click the "Back to tower" button, a statistics window is shown, listing information about % of hit with each kind of weapon (Ex. internal guns, MGs, external guns, etc).

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2001, 12:58:00 PM »
 Planes don't set level. They are nose up. You ammo is being "lofted".  If you fly straight into a wall with  with auto pilot on you will see the bullet drop. I would turn off X while I was firing to get the effect of recoil.

Just dawned on me to mention. What you are looking for is the dust kicked up by the bullets. its a good way to see if your gunsite is centered in the middle of the dust cloud also.

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 03-29-2001).]

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Gun sight patterning
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2001, 01:57:00 AM »

Originally posted by easymo:
Planes don't set level. They are nose up.

Actually.. in flight most single engine prop planes I know of have a positive angle of incidence for the wing chord line ..so they fly nose low.. so you can see over it.

The Mustang is *very* noticeable inflight(RL) from the pilots view.

Most seem to use tween 2-3 degrees as a standard. (ie: Spitfire is 2.5 degrees.. etc)

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE