Author Topic: Ground and Ship Guns  (Read 244 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Ground and Ship Guns
« on: May 09, 2003, 11:39:58 PM »
Ground battarey gun and ship guns should be improved:
  • First the have to have much bigger zoom they used good optic instruments. It is too hard to aim when you can not see your target. But in reality you could hit the target in distances of 20-30K
  • All of them had optical instruments for measuring distances to the target they where placed at high points at ships and used to measure the distance and make good hits
  • And maybe some artwork on the sights not just cross outside the turret
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Major_Hans

• Copper Member
Ground and Ship Guns
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 12:46:53 AM »
How about a proper gun aiming system.  The guns are aimed from a central control station on top of the superstructure, not from the sides of the turrets.

I would also like to see the three main turrets slaved together instead of three individual ones.

Offline Major_Hans

• Copper Member
Ground and Ship Guns
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 12:49:04 AM »
Oh, and how about three different "death animations".  Instead of standing straight up and diving straight down, it would be nice to see a random choice between that and some other ways to sink.  Add things like rolling over, go tail first, or flat out explode.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Ground and Ship Guns
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 08:07:25 AM »
With the big guns I just want to have an azimuth and range to fire to like they did back then. I personnally don't care for the little cross hair since the big guns don't use it effectively. Just open up your clipboard map and hit the base icon/ship icon (only with positive sighting of enemy vessels) and fire away. You would be totally enclosed in the turret and would only see the reload process happening for all three guns.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Major_Hans

• Copper Member
Ground and Ship Guns
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 03:56:52 AM »
I agree.  I would rather see a control panel where I could click on the buttons to set the range, bearing, the target's course, and speed.

If you need an example, play a submarine simulator like Silent Hunter or Silent Hunter II.  The Torpedo Data Computer.  Battleships use a similar machine, even in the 1990s when the four Iowas were in fleet service.  The US Navy didn't try to replace the mechanical computer because it already worked well enough and was just as reliable and battle hardened as a computer.  Plus, EMP wouldn't knock it out.