Author Topic: Has Sharon Seen the light?  (Read 446 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Has Sharon Seen the light?
« on: May 27, 2003, 10:12:40 AM »
Sharon Says Occupation Must End

Just calling the territories "occupied" is a huge step for Sharon and Israel. Could this be the beginning of the end of hostilities?

"This can't go on forever," Sharon told Likud lawmakers at a stormy meeting a day after the Cabinet approved the plan.
    "To keep 3.5 million Palestinians under occupation -- you can dislike the word, but what is happening is occupation -- is in my view bad for Israel, for the Palestinians and for Israel's economy," Sharon said.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/May/05272003/nation_w/60530.asp

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
We can hope MT we can hope..
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 10:31:10 AM »
But I really doubt it.

I picked up a book called "American Jihad" By Steven Emerson.

It is about Terrorism in the US, and how terrorist groups use the US and our freedoms to plan, orginise and get money through charities.  He talks alot about the Palistinians Terror groups and how most of them do not want peace, they want Isreal gone, and and all Jews gone with it or dead. The way he describes these guys, well it is just nutty. They do not sound like they will settle for peace.

Very interesting book though I am going tohave to read it again and write notes in the margins lol.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 11:23:59 AM »
It all depends on how he plans to end the occupation. With machine gun bullets and rockets or by negotiation.

Any negotiation has to entail a viable palestinian State. Not one that is at the "mercy" Israel. This includes water rights and free movement between Palestinian territory. If its anything like the previous plan then it will be rejected as well.

Actual peace and giving lip service to peace are different things.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 11:32:03 AM »
I wouldn't trust sharon farther than I could throw him.  The only real reason I could see him pulling his troops back for would be an air strike.

But then... maybe he really has changed.

MiniD

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 11:49:16 AM »
He may have changed, but I don't think it will work in the long run. There are so many on both sides who don't want peace and enjoy the current state of tit-for-tat revenge killings that they will (and are) work for tensions to continue.  sad really.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 12:02:24 PM »
All was peaceful before Sharon came along.   :rolleyes:

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 12:05:39 PM »
Ummm... nothing has improved since he's come along... not even remotely.  His hard line stance was the cornerstone of his campaign.

MiniD

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 12:19:06 PM »
Originally posted by ra

It's just so plain to see.  The peace loving Palestinian leader Arabfoot .er... Arafat had nothing to do with the war!  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just wonder how long it will be before the Jew haters start demanding that Syria or Jordan give back the Palestinian land they took......

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 12:21:23 PM »
Ah... OK...

Dip****s on parade.

Carry on boys.

MiniD

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 12:23:58 PM »
I think it all depends on the light source.

His decision making may well be altered by the bright light of day shed by the entire international community examining Israeli actions and taking governmental actions accordingly.

OTOH,

I doubt much will change if the light source is the brilliant flash of another suicide bomber on board a bus or in a restaurant.

There comes a time when both sides have to see a chance to change and then both sides have to take that chance.

The chance is here; I doubt both sides will see it simultaneously and another opportunity will be lost.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Sharon??
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 12:32:45 PM »
Is Sharon Stone still made at the Pals?

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 12:33:26 PM »
Originally posted by ra

True, before him we had the wise, unbiased and rational Netanyahu whose best caracteristics were his restraint and adversion to war and violence and Barak who wasn't powerless at all against the more extremist influences in his party/administration/nation.   :rolleyes:

But without the sarcasm, the world had a Israeli pm's who recognized the need for compromise and dialogue. First Rabin, we all know what the Israeli right did to him and after him there was shimon Peres, but the Israeli people didn't quite agree.
Their choice obviously but nevertheless one that made peace impossible at least till another charismatic and moderate leader stands up.