Author Topic: Will a P233 be enough??????  (Read 139 times)

Samart

Will a P233 be enough??????
« on: August 29, 1999, 09:36:00 AM »
Please answer this question for me anyone at AH.  I really want to fly your simulation, but don't have the money at the moment to get a new computer......

Please say it will work  

------------------
450th BG(H)
"The Cottontails"

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 1999, 10:37:00 AM »
Right now we are planning on a 200 for a minimum, subject to change.

Here's a few benchmarks with the current alpha.

On a PIII 450 with a TNT2 in 1024 res, it's running in the 60-80 fps range for the most part maybe dropping to 40 at a low.

I have a PII 333 with a voodoo2.  In 1024, I run an almost constant 30.  Dale also has a PII 333 and voodoo2 but gets higher framerates than me for some reason.  I'm getting in the 40s with 640 res.  There doesn't seem to be much difference in framerate between 640 and 800.

One alpha tester is running it on a 166 and reporting 16-20 in 640 and 800.

My wife just got a PIII 600 with a TNT2 and I'm curious to see what the framerate will be on that.

HT's been doing a lot of things to squeeze out more framerate and the current alpha is the fastest one yet.  However, we do still have a lot of stuff to add and that will eat into the current framerate levels.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 1999, 01:44:00 PM »
Pyro Please put the wife part in code so my wife does not see that she has a biiger computer then you, I always tell her need the best to play air sim games. hope she dont read this.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon

http://www.geocities.com/~tltoon

Offline Flathat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 1999, 08:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the info...I was gonna buy a PIII-450 around Christmas, but now it looks like it makes better financial sense for my family to upgrade the 166 to a 233 and get a better vid card and reliable external modem. If I can get consistent mid-20s to 30, I'll call it good.

Any hints on connection optimization? Will the traditional 19.2 and other WB-optimized settings do the job here?

Thanks,
Flathat

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 1999, 11:35:00 AM »
Flathat,

I would suggest going the Abit BH6 motherboard, 64 megs 100mhz Memory, and a Celeron 300a (oc'd to 450) or 450. You can get all that for around $250, and for another $80 or so you can pick up a good TNT2 card.

Add those together and you have what would be a considerable upgrade for you, but at a price much less than a new pc.

Realistically, the 166 to 233 upgrade will not be much cheaper and the performance difference is unbelieveable.

Plus the Abit motherboard is a slot 1 board, that would allow you to upgrade to a PIII at some future time as well, while the 233 is a dead end street.

Just something to consider

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), *MOL*, Men of Leisure, Goldlandia
AW's: (verm) ACCS, Aerial Crowd Control Services, Cland

Samart

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 1999, 03:55:00 PM »
Hey Pyro

Thanks for the info......It really makes me feel good that our concerns are getting heard and replied too.

Thanks again

Sam

------------------
450th BG(H)
"The Cottontails"

Offline Flathat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 1999, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, Vermillion...I know the 233 is a dead end, but it gets me in the game now as opposed to having to wait several months. I can spend about $100-150 in the next month or so for 233MMX, TNT card (STB Velocity4400, it's the devil I know, seems to do an adequate job and they're practically giving 'em away) and maybe more RAM, but not $350 all in one fell swoop. Ethan (that's my boy) needs some fall clothes and stuff, and Flathat needs not to freak out his patient long-suffering bride--plus MBA school doesn't seem to be paying for itself  .

It's just a break-point I'm hitting right now. If I can spend that little bit now to be able to fly for the next 6-8 months, even if I then "re-spend" some of it by buying a new mobo and better processor (which was the plan all along  ), then okay by me.

Thanks again,
Flathat