Author Topic: Theatre of Operations  (Read 172 times)

Stynga

Theatre of Operations
« on: September 02, 1999, 09:34:00 AM »
Does it really matter which theatre is first, if the scenarios are to be correct, then any allied fields within the area of operations can only allow that type of aircraft.  Likewise with the axis crowd. This can be further controlled by applying dates to when those aircaft flew. Eg british fields only allow the aircraft used from britain at the time of the conflict, while any attacknig planes are relavent to those which flew from europe.  All said and done a Mediteranean / African theatre would be a good starter.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Theatre of Operations
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 1999, 10:05:00 PM »
I believe that somewhere Hitech stated that BOB or a Blitz arena would be First.

That P-51 sure looks pretty on the screen shots, but shouldn't be available for either of those arenas.

Sorry Late RPS folks.

Spit 1A and V.

BF-109E? and FW190B?

Ju-88.

Swordfish.

Blenheim.

DO-17.

Ju-87B

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
Theatre of Operations
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 1999, 10:07:00 PM »
Forgot the Hurricane, the fighter most available  to the British during the early days when France was still French.

And the French get to get shot up in the P-36 Hawk!!

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Stynga

Theatre of Operations
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 1999, 11:47:00 PM »
I guess its as I said before, the scenario may be important, but which one is done first is not the issue.  BOB is also a very air intensive theatre and should fill the void for those who are in it for the flying and realism of combat that we only get by having real opponents.  However, my needs are for a sim that Kicks bellybutton and I hope that AH is the one that will do it.  If the screen shots are anything to go by then its well on its way and I for one will be keen to get online when it is released.  The A/c you mentioned all sound quite good and it will be good to have some from the earlier years such as 1939 to 1941.

Offline bigred

• Zinc Member
Theatre of Operations
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 1999, 10:15:00 AM »
actually i think the game will not be particularly based upon a historical "scenario" model....

Somewhere way back i believe they said that 1944 was the intended timeframe for the initial set of planes released.

In addition, the screenshots showing a P-51D, BF-109G, and late model B-17 definately rule out the BoB at least.....

i would think maybe a "Fortress Germany" setup if anything...
-bigred  

Bad Omen

Theatre of Operations
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 1999, 12:00:00 PM »
Downtown, I believe it was Playnet that said they would start with Blitzkrieg scenario. I think AH is starting with 1943/1944 planeset, hence the 109G and Spit IX, P51.

funked

Theatre of Operations
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 1999, 05:05:00 PM »
Hey a properly modeled Hawk should be very nimble.  Imagine the handling of a P-40 with much less weight.  Good dive and roll control, and it should easily outturn an Me 109E.  Sort of a cross between the Hurricane and the Spitfire maybe, but with the best ailerons in the business.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
Theatre of Operations
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 1999, 07:57:00 PM »
Your right, I got my sims mixed up.

So the Pony will fly.

The P-36 had a radial also.

I understand that the were very good planes for about 2 months.

And perhaps it was the LWs practice in Spain that made the 109 effective against the French Hawks.