Author Topic: Films of Lazer duel - tips wanted.  (Read 1209 times)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Films of Laser duel - tips wanted.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 12:38:17 AM »
Thanks for posting the film, Humble. I see what you mean now about overshooting and going under the target and how quick this loses the e advantage. The yak has a temendous e advantage  on the first pass and within two or three passes of him going under you, its pretty equal (looks to me anyway).

It also seems that flying the "under" is almost a mirror of "stomp on his head" strategy that you and DorctorYo talked about. If over you don't want to be diving deep under, and if under you dont want to be doing any drastic climbs. Seems both will put you at risk.  Also it seems if over you don't want to be shooting up to the moon and if under you don't want to be diving to the deck ( well not right away anyway :D). It seems almost like managing the the e so there is always an immediacy to it. If I'm off base here, I'd appreciate correction.

I don't claim to understand the shot window yet, but that's what I got out of the film. It seemed like you held your position ( as far as e) while his dwindled, either from overshooting below you or pulling excessive g's. Managing the shot window is still a few chapters away for me  :D

Thanks again for the advice and instruction.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 09:24:45 AM »
It's one of those things thats hard to explain...I'm a pretty "average" stick on the open ended scale...if you fly a few as an observer with Levi, shane nomak wldthing etc you'll get an even more profound sense of flying "inside" the other guy. It's really managing the flight envelope differential based on relative E state. Flying the above ...simply eliminates the "inside" and forces the bogie to fly the "under". The E guy wants to convert the "over" to a tracking shot. The angles guy wants to convert the over/under to the inside/outside (this can even be in the vertical). The best way to do that is to provide the E guy with "appropriate" shot windows (low % shots that encourage both the convergence of E state and angular gain). One of the "secrets" of the great angles fighters is they give you a "shot" then whack you....it can reach a point that they are so far inside your head that when they screw the pooch and give you a real shot you freeze up for a 1/2 sec because your worried about being suckered again.

Anyway....glad it helped a bit.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 09:27:31 AM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2004, 11:33:15 AM »
Good thread. Good films humble and etch. It's rare in the MA for a 1 on 1, I'm usually at the bottom of the pile.

When I find one it's usually in a spit V. So etch's film was interesting. After gaining the vertical seperation as he did, what I do after a few passes to pad the cushion is change it all up and get aggressive. After a few passes the con has you "figured out" so you breakout the rubber band. On an above pass, chop for an instant, low nose hard rudder reverse and drop on his six. If they're very good you may be in trouble. The vast majority of times though they're dumbfounded that you've appeared on their six. If you've padded your E and broke at the right time, the E differential is alittle in their favor. But your on their six. And many times they hesitate while trying to figure out what to do NOW.

Sort of a mind rope.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 10:02:53 PM »
Fun thread and great films!

It's been covered for the most part.
IMO you appear to be flying not to lose as opposed to flying to win (KILL). You're hanging on the prop WAYYYY too long. You did setup a couple of nice shots though, you just missed em. Gunnery will improve with repitition so no big deal.

I too saw some opps to chop throttle and end it there. One point I remember you diving straight down to him from about 2k out and remember thinking I would level about 1.5k above him and see what he does...then pounce. This has all been said in much more technical manner. I'm a seat o the pants kinda flyer.

Thanks for the opportunity to think about this conciously Etch!

Great tips all!:aok

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2004, 07:48:03 AM »
I tried to get the films, but received this error...

Sorry, the BellSouth Personal Web Page or file you're looking for is not here.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2004, 08:36:31 AM »
I had removed the films to make room for some other films. I put them back. Try the link again.