Author Topic: U.S. POWS in Russia?  (Read 370 times)

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« on: August 03, 2003, 06:16:52 AM »
I was reading about the POWS left behind in Laos and Vietnam on this website.  The site went on to claim that hundreds of US soldiers who were captured by the Germans (during WW2) and subsequently liberated by the Russians were shipped to Soviet slave labor camps.  Anyone heard of this before?  Sounds like baloney to me, but who knows.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 06:48:01 AM »
The whole MIA thing is a pretty sensitive subject......a lot of people who have a relative who is MIA only naturally  believe that they are still alive....doubt if anyone will ever really know though.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 07:02:05 AM »
apparently there was a lot of american POW's kept in russia after the korean war.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 11:27:35 AM »
Of course!  Don't you watch JAG?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 11:58:09 AM »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 12:09:04 PM »
from what i saw on the news there was alot of POWs captured in korea that defected to the communist side. and were moved to the ussr after. i saw an interview with one who was living in poland. but that was in the early 80s. and at the time his and the rest of the defectors U.S.A. rights were revoked and were not allowed back in the country, territory, posession, P.R., embassy, and military base or post. not even to attend a family funeral.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 02:50:48 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Of course!  Don't you watch JAG?

Yeah...two words, "Catherine" "Bell".
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 05:21:47 PM »
Originally posted by bigsky
from what i saw on the news there was alot of POWs captured in korea that defected to the communist side. and were moved to the ussr after. i saw an interview with one who was living in poland. but that was in the early 80s. and at the time his and the rest of the defectors U.S.A. rights were revoked and were not allowed back in the country, territory, posession, P.R., embassy, and military base or post. not even to attend a family funeral.

There were only 23 US POWs during the Korean War that defected over to the North.  It was also believed that they were also the victims of brainwashing by the North Koreans, Chinese and Soviets.

It is now widely believed that US servicemen that had special skills, like F-86 Sabre pilots, that were captured were taken to China and the Soviet Union for further interrogations and imprisonment.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
U.S. POWS in Russia?
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 07:59:53 PM »
A few pf the Korean error POW's did stay and several of them came running home after livng in China, said it was a big fing mistake they made... History channel had a show about it a year ago..