Author Topic: Typhoon Vs. 190  (Read 238 times)

Offline Tumbler

• Zinc Member
Typhoon Vs. 190
« on: October 26, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »
Hello all, I've been flying missions in the 190 a lot lately, afrika corps, and am having trouble getting the advantage over the typhoon. When I dive and run, it catches me, when I try and extend, it keeps pace, when I try and climb it catches me. What is the best way to engage this plane? And what can I do to get away from it?

Thanx

Tumbler

Offline Rifle

• Zinc Member
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2000, 12:24:00 PM »
Hit the silk !  

In RL, the Tiffy was a poor turner.

In an FW, your best bet is to kill it on the 1st pass or work in pairs.

Cheers,
    Rifle - from that other sim

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2000, 12:33:00 PM »
Tumbler,

First you should have probably put this in the aircraft and vehicles section. You probably would have gotten abetter response and the messages take less time to be over written by as new group of messages.

Second your question. You really need to appeal to FW190 drivers on this one. First identify which 190 your using and get to know it's strengths. I am not familiar enough with a 190 to tell you how to use it best. I will tell you to keep the fight fast and use the ability of the 190 to change directions quickly to your advantage. Don't think that climbing or diving in a straight line will save you against any other bird because you don't know their E-state. The 190 can be an impossible target when using sharp rolling, turning diving maneuvers followed by sharp pull up's. The Tiffy is very fast and climbs well at low alt. so sustained maneuvers in a straight line won't work.
Stay fast, use rolling maneuvers and you can go from defense to offense very quickly.

Later
F4UDOA  

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2000, 12:48:00 PM »
Had a 190 this morning. He went left, right, even tried to out-zoom me. Finally he went straight and started a sharp series of left-right turns, and I killed him flying a Typhoon. First couple of turns he had me missing, then I went for only snap-shots. 3rd one got him, and boy did he ever BLOW! Nice big greasy fireball. A Typhoon can turn for a while as long as he lags you, then pulls ahead for a second to try for a shot. That's what I did, but I started out with 360mph airspeed at 5k.

------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »
Try to catch the typhie at a medium alt 8-12k. The deck is where a tyhie shines, but from my experience it is worse than an FW at higher alts. Strictly B&Z, trun vertically, if he has energy on you, try to drag him to some countryman to take his attention off of you. Then reverse and nail him.

Typhies are pretty deadly in this version. I flew a 190A8 last night against one, and surprisingly pulled away from him on the deck. Of course, I don't know what his loadout/fuel state was.

Remember, do not try to turn with typhies in a 190 (especially A8) unless you know what you're doing. I try not to turn more than 60 to 90 degrees at a time.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2000, 01:03:00 PM »
The trick is to deny the snapshot. Personally, I would never try to outrun the Typh- I would try to bleed his E through several vertical turns. Sooner or later (assuming he doesn't get a snapshot) you will get it wallowing. The superior acceleration of the Fw should then enable it to either outclimb or reverse a bit faster, giving you the shot. I would even suggest a rolling scissors- this should keep you out of guns, but bleed his E if he is silly enough to follow it.

The Typh isn't as good as the Fw if things slow down too much.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2000, 01:30:00 PM »
Tiffie in AH can actually turn with spits for little while   (now theres something to try with 190)

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »
190 has better roll & acceleration than tiffy.

And Typhoon can turn with spit at least for the 1st 3 turns, if you dont do any damage in the 1st 3 turns, your meat. These are stall turns, Typhoon has a hugh wing surface to Stall turn with.

The 190 does not have the advantage of the massive wing surface & should not be able to turn with Typhoon.

Fishu is a dreamer & thinks the 190 should turn with a Zeke  

Dog out....

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »
Same tactics as I use in F4U (and just about anything else) against Typhoons - use the roll rate, Luke!

Typhoon's ailerons only bite at higher speeds, so once you get him wallowing at anything beneath 240 or so, you can disorientate the hell out of him with some quick rolls.

funked

Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2000, 03:44:00 PM »
duh

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-26-2000).]

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2000, 05:36:00 PM »
Yep, about the only advantage the fw has over typhoon is low speed roll rate. Typhoon now turns better, is faster, and equal if not better performance at higher alts . As for e retention, well what doesn't retain e better than a fw ? Lone fw's really don't do well against much, but in tandem they are pure terror .

funked

Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2000, 05:58:00 PM »
"and equal if not better performance at higher alts "

Nope - above 20k the Typhoon is roadkill.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-26-2000).]

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Typhoon Vs. 190
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2000, 06:12:00 PM »
I fly 190a8 and to be honest i dont see what the fuss is..a typhoon against 190a8 alone* is never a problem for me. i think i mostly wait for them to dive on my 6 ..half roll dive until he thinks im going to continue then half roll pull up and inevitably they have started to climb up and you get lovely snap shot on his ass..
works for all planes just learn to bleed a touch of speed so you are in position to rise up uder and behind the over shooter.
also hi and lo yo yo's work a treat.just be sure you have light loadout  
hazed