Author Topic: Best reason not to run away from a fight  (Read 863 times)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Best reason not to run away from a fight
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 01:40:14 PM »
How do you know it's lazs?

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 02:41:11 PM »
Originally posted by hogenbor
How do you know it's lazs?

The smell

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 03:29:59 PM »
I still fly to live but I take alot of chances. Without taking chances I stagnate, I cease to learn, I lose the drive..

Simple but true. Words to live by in AH

I still can't figure out why some people are willing to pay 15$ USD to run and call it fun? Can't you just sign up for a marathon for less than that, or join your local track team?

hmmm...

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 04:49:10 PM »
One possible solution to the rank BS is to alter the formula to reflect plane type, #'s in arena and kills/sortie. To the best of my knowledge if you had engaged the 190 (we'll assume a D-9) you would of gotten 2+ perkies (assuming even numbers) but only 1 "kill" for ranking (correct me if I'm wrong here).

I'm always amazed at how bad many of the top "scorers" are at ACM and air combat.

The whole nature of the game has altered dramatically over the last 18 months...in many ways for the worse...just my 2 cents. The old dual ranking in AW was a better indicator of rank then the current BS.

Hopefully AHII will be a step in right direction.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2003, 08:43:29 AM »
Originally posted by pugg666
Simple but true. Words to live by in AH

I still can't figure out why some people are willing to pay 15$ USD to run and call it fun? Can't you just sign up for a marathon for less than that, or join your local track team?

hmmm...

Marathons will cost approximately $50 to $75 to enter, but $15 will get you a pretty nice 15k, and you'll burn a lot more calories than you would squatting in front of a computer screen doing jabo raids in 190s and avoiding C.205s.  :p

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2003, 04:49:27 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Completely restructure and organize the training program in AH.  Make it a formal thing, similiar to AW and WB's training programs.  If new players had a structured and organized training program, instead of the trial by fire they face now, you'd cut down on a lot of this type of behavior.  Sure, you'll still get your rank-potato types but at least you'll be showing the new players that there is another option out there and a far more rewarding one.  And maybe ACM wouldn't become the lost art it's quickly becoming.

ack-ack

I couldn't agree more AKAK.  I was a trainer in Air Warrior for the last few weeks before its untimely demise.  I've applied and applied and applied and applied to the AH training wing and even to Hammer on netaces and just can't seem to latch on because it seems to me it's not a priority to anyone.

So instead I do what I can, I set up shop one or two nights a week in the TA (late at night, unfortunately...from 11:30pm-3:30am) and gather all the new players who need to learn to fly (not even two weekers, some guys have been paying for some time and havent latched onto a squadron or even learned to land an airplane) and ask for help and we all do the same thing.  Up in Spitfire Mk IV's and fly around in formation, introduce them one at a time to basic Air Combat Maneuvers (Yo-Yo, Immelman, Split-S ect...) as guests on my airplane.  Then it's a big "follow the leader" in as close formation as you can get where one of the other students will lead the group through loops and rolls.  I'll call off pairs and then they will break off and do the formation flights in pairs for another 10 minutes, switch flight leaders and continue for 10 more minutes.  Then i'll ask how they feel and if they are comfortable then its time to do some sparring.  Call off the pairs and give them "boundaries" to stay in so as not to impede on another pair and i can keep an eye on them and offer tips.  The only problem with this is logistics.  I don't keep a roster on who flys with me, though I do remember them and occasionally see them land kills in the main arena...which draws a smile and a salute from me.  I also am not a member of a formal training group (i.e. AH Training Corps) and don't have any other advanced players (face it, most of the advanced guys are busy running up their scores and the only time most of them care about training is when they find the new guys aren't up to their level) to assist with training these new players.  There have been times where guys in the arena stayed up all night (and me too...till the sun came up again...UGH!) because they were learning something that mattered for the first time since the signed up for aces high.

I challenge anyone in this thread or who has played Aces High for more than a year to take on a new player.  Be it a mentorship type of thing flying together one or two nights a week in the MA or just a Q&A thing via email it would make a big difference in these players.  I'd love to work with HTC with this but they just don't seem to consider training to be important.  Im starting to see the TA as a holding tank for players kicked out of the MA by players saying read the manual or press Alt+F4 when all they ask is how to raise the gear.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 04:53:07 PM by Golfer »