Author Topic: A quick guide to the P-51B  (Read 1553 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
A quick guide to the P-51B
« on: December 02, 2003, 01:25:43 PM »
IN THE HANGAR:

(a) set your convergence for all 4 guns to 350.  This will give you an effective cone of fire out to d700.  You can set it farther if you want, if you anticipate strafing ground targets or chasing fast planes or engaging bomber with tailgunners.  I've hit with .50 cals out to d1.0, so you could get away with setting convergence out to the max of 600 (I think that's the max that's available), but realistically, at that distance, the target will appear in your gunsight so small that you may have a hard time seeing it.  You'll also have some bullet drop-off due to energy loss and with four .50 calibre guns firing, you'll need for a majority of them to hit, so as you set your calibration farther out, you can expect to have to stay on the target longer.  Because there are only 4 guns firing, I set my convergence to a single point for maximum effectiveness.

(b) if you're planning an out-and-back mission between two front-line bases, 50% will give you a good range.  It will fill both wing tanks to just over their 50% capacity and leave the auxilary fuselage tank dry.  I've found that I run out of gas before I run out of ammo, so I've started carrying 75% gas, which fills both wing tanks to capacity and gives you a bit of gas in the auxillary tank for climb-out, which frees up the wing racks for bombs.  With this load-out, you'll be a bit heavy when you launch so it may be a good idea to start from a base back, or if you lauch from a front-line base then you should head away from the front for a bit before turning and heading for the action.  Some guys go with 50% and bring a wing tank or two for climb-out, which allows them to lighten their fuel load in case they get jumped by bandits on their way to the lines.  If you're launching from a base back, the difference becomes moot, as either way you'll be at 50% gas - either by dropping your wing tanks before you get to the front lines or burning off your auxillary tank.

(c) I don't carry rockets in the P-51B.  The tubes, once empty, aren't worth the drag penalty.  Instead, if I want to carry ground ordinance "just in case", I'll load up the 500 pound bombs.  That way, if I find trouble on the way I can pickle the ordinance and have a clean airframe.

IN THE AIR

(a) I sometimes WEP right off the runway until the engine temperature needle pegs in the middle of the yellow zone.  WEP is most effective up to around 15k and then hits a dead spot between 15k and 20k.  If you're chasing bombers, the WEP will help around 23k and up, but I rarely get that high because from that alt I'll never see the bandits cruising at the more common altitude of 10k below me.  Some guys like to climb out on normal power and save their WEP for fighting, but I've never run out of WEP in the MA and rarely have to use it in a fight unless its gone on for a bit and we're both running out of airspeed.  Usually I'll only use WEP if I'm going into a nose-high turn and need to hold my speed.  A B-stang isn't going to out-climb too many opponents, WEP or not, and most fights tend to fairly brief encounters before more aircraft arrive to determine the outcome.  Burn the WEP on launch if you're impatient, or hold it if you'd rather take a bit longer to climb out, its up to you and what you feel more comfortable doing.

(b) Set your views.  The B-stang of WW2 came with two options - the standard caged canopy and the Spitfire-esque Malcolm hood.  Unfortunately, in Aces High, the B-stang only comes with the factory canopy.  This causes some blind spots from the pilot's seat so make sure you set up your views with overlapping fields of vision.  You also have a large blindspot dead behind you, so keep this in mind when you set your views, and get in the habit of jinking the plane from time to time to clear your baffles.  If you fly the B-stang for any amount of time, you'll develop a healthy sense of paranoia.

(c) I usually cruise at 20k in the B stang for two reasons.  First, this is the alt that the other Mustangs are usually at, along with the P-47s, Typhoons, Spitfires, and most of the Luftwaffe fighters.  At that alt, the Mustang's speed is discernable, outpacing most other fighters found in the MA, most of the time.

(d) If the target is below, make sure you mind your airspeed in the attack dive.  The B-stang can be a handful as the airspeed increases, almost as bad as a P-38 or 109.  I usually drop a notch of flaps and cut throttle if I go into a sharp dive, then listen for the sound of the flaps retracting to let me know when I'm getting a bit on the slick side.  If you let your speed get out of hand, bad things can happen, like becoming a green meteor on its way to becoming a crater.  In a gentle dive, such as when chasing a Typhoon, LA-7 or another Mustang, don't be too concerned if the cockpit starts vibrating.  You'll still have control, but don't make any sharp pulls on the joystick or you may rip off your wings (I've done that in a D-stang, but not in the B-stang).  Chances are, if you're going that fast, the other guy won't be doing much turning either.  Just be mindful of your pitch and the proximity to the ground or you could end up either face-planting or, if you do manage to get the nose up, mushing the belly into the dirt.

(e) 109 pilots usually adapt to flying the B-stang fairly quickly, mostly because they're used to heavy controls at high speeds and the effects of compression on the airplane.  The B-stang doesn't suffer nearly as bad as a G-10 in this respect and can go faster before controls become excessively heavy, but remember that you don't have a nose cannon and that your convergence is at d350 instead of infinity.  If you're a 109 pilot, you'll also have to remember that you may not necessarily be able to climb away from the fight.  The Mustang will zoom up pretty well, but only if you've zoomed down first to get some energy going.

(f) Remember those two 500 pound bombs on your wings?  Ok, so you've decided to attack something on the ground.  In the B-stang, you'll have to release the bombs a bit higher in a dive than you would in something like a P-38 or Hurricane, mostly because your downhill accelleration will be pretty quick unless you've dropped all your flaps (which isn't something I would recommend doing if there are enemy aircraft in the area) and you may have trouble recovering from the dive due to the high speed.  Your bombs aren't strong enough to knock out a hangar unless its light, but cities and ground vehicles are fair game.  Your four .50cals are better suited to fighting enemy airplanes and aren't really the best choice for ground strafing.  So if you've used your bombs, go ahead and climb for altitude and wait for the enemy response to your raid.  The Mustang has pretty good range so you can loiter over the battle area for awhile and let the action come to you, or start heading towards the next-nearest enemy base and catch them as they're climbing up.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 01:26:18 PM »
QUICK TIPS ON FIGHTING WITH THE B-STANG

(a) The B-stang is lighter than a D-stang (usually, depending on load-outs) and in my opinion seems to roll and pitch a bit better.  There may or may not be a difference in turn radius - throttle and flap use usually determines who's coming around first in a B-stang vs D-stang fight.  If I'm doing the chasing, I'll usually go into a lag pursuit and wait for the D-stang to run out of energy.  If I'm being chased, I'll go nose-down into a vertical scissors and use the roll rate to change direction quicker than the D-stang.  Don't forget to use your throttle, flaps, and rudder to help in your escape!

(b) If all you get is a quick snapshot, aim for the cockpit.  You won't get a quick kill like you would in a N1K2, 190, Hurricane, or 109 (with gondolas) but you might be able to knock off a piece of the target and make the fight a bit more in your favor.

(c) If you're saddled up with the target, be prepared to hang there for a second longer than in a D-stang.  You've got 2 fewer guns to fire with so the 4 you do have must work a bit longer to get the job done.

(d) Watch your rate of closure.  If its too fast, you'll overtake the target and only land enough hits to get you an assist.  Use your throttle, flaps, and rudder to dump speed if you have to, then fire when you get in range.  

(e) Always keep enough speed and/or altitude to dive away in case the fight goes horribly wrong for you.

(f) The B-stang doesn't suffer from the "blinking dot" syndrome like the D-stang, so you can use mountains and other terrain features to stalk your target and set up your attack.  Twilight and night-time is a good time to uncork the B-stang for a NOE raid.

(g) The B-stang's worst enemy is the LA-7.  Fortunately, most LA-7 pilots are bad fighter pilots and will enter a fight with their throttles wide open, bringing as much speed to the encounter as they can.  This gives them a very brief firing window.  If you can dodge their head-ons and snap shots with a quick roll or jink, you can force them to overtake your plane and then hit them with the long range .50 cals.  LA-7s are fairly durable, but if you can knock off a flap or a control surface as they extend out, the enemy pilot will usually look to run away.

(h) the B-stang's second worst enemy(ies) is(are) the high Spitfire or very high Hurricane and N1k2.  Normally, the B-stang will have the option to dive away, but if any of these planes has an altitude advantage over you, they can bring enough smack to chase you down and force you into a turn fight, where they will gain the advantage and knock you down.  On the other hand, if they're coming in fast enough to catch you, you can force a quick overshoot and try to dive away in the opposite direction of their attack.  The odds are against you, but you don't really have many options.

(i) a B-stang's third worst enemy is the Yak9U.  Its fast at low altitudes and can maneuver a bit better than a B-stang.  As the fight gets lower, the advantage goes to the Yak.  The B-stang has better accelleration in a dive, so don't be afraid to run away - I mean extend out - and come back to the fight with some altitude.

More later if I can think of anything to add.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Re: A quick guide to the P-51B
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 05:58:17 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
IN THE HANGAR:

(c) I don't carry rockets in the P-51B.  The tubes, once empty, aren't worth the drag penalty.  Instead, if I want to carry ground ordinance "just in case", I'll load up the 500 pound bombs.  That way, if I find trouble on the way I can pickle the ordinance and have a clean airframe.

GoFaster,
Good write up. WTG.

Regarding rocket tubes: I've never flight tested the P-51 B, but I have the FW's. I found that the drag of the rocket tubes is gone as soon as you fire the rockets.

FW 190 A-5 taken off clean has the exact same top speed as FW 190 A-5 that upped with the rockets and then fired them off.  I don't have the exact figures here for how much an unfired rocket penalizes the 190 in top speed, but I will post it later tonight when I go thru my notes. It's not really very much though.

So if the same holds true for a P-51B, you can up with the rockets and just dump them if you need the little bit of extra speed or turn rate.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 02:41:17 PM »
I'll keep that in mind and try to do some testing to be certain, but it seemed to me that those tubes caused some issues with speed.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 03:41:55 PM »
The B-pony has the same tubes as the early P-47...both cause substantial drag. Not as bad as other planes like the 38 (some drag but not as much since there are no "tubes"...just the little rails). The only plane without any additional drag is the D hog which has the little rocket rails modeled even if you dont load rockets.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 03:47:07 PM »
Nice write up BTW...I used to have my conv set at 250 or 300 in B pony. Got away from flying it since there are so many better rides in that "point range". 205, la-5, fm-2, 109G2, hurricane are all better perk harvesters. Try a P47-30 with 25% fuel 2 drop tanks and light ammo load (8 guns) if you want to give someone a big suprise.

Only thing I saw that might be wrong is the wep stuff...I think its purely a function of engine temp...no fixed amount of time on wep for pony. You can burn it on climb out and be fine...just need to realize that once you red line the temp gauge you'll lose wep till engine cools down again.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 09:17:12 PM »
The rail mounted rockets tend to cost about 2mph/rocket until they are launched.  Once they are launched they have no penalty (ie, a clean Typhoon has the exact same speed as a Typhoon that fired off it's rockets).  In the case of tube mountings though the tubes continue to inflict drag, serious drag, even after launch.  On the P-51B it's about 16mph total at sea-level even after the rockets are gone.  This is a serious handicap on the P-51B and rockets are generally a really bad idea.

The P-51B is a good aircraft though, not quite as good as the P-51D in some respects (like view or guns) but it does feel a little lighter and more maneuverable.  I tend to set my guns in one to D300 as I find when you only have four .50's you generally want to set them to a point where as something with six or more .50's can set them to a small zone.

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 12:47:34 AM »
It looks cool, and it is the best plane for getting assists.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 05:20:36 PM »
P-51D " blinking dot"? You mean the polished skin and light strikes? And isnt the HP/weight ratio pretty close between the two since the B pony has the -3 Merlin while the D pony has a -7?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 12:29:51 PM »
Originally posted by Tyro48
P-51D " blinking dot"? You mean the polished skin and light strikes? And isnt the HP/weight ratio pretty close between the two since the B pony has the -3 Merlin while the D pony has a -7?

Before you get that "P-51 5.9" icon, you can tell its a P-51D by the way the dot shifts from white to red to black to white to red.  You don't get that with the B.

The B seems to roll a bit quicker than the D and responds to joystick inputs overall a bit quicker, too.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 12:06:54 PM »
Love the "D" pony icon.. I want them to think "Hmmm that could be Steve... oh nooooooo."    

:D

Fun read Gofaster.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 12:53:10 AM »
I find the D model a bit easier to handle at stall speed with full flaps. The B tends to stall the wing over a bit more when I try and do that.