Author Topic: turning rate of planes  (Read 483 times)

Offline fabkebab

• Zinc Member
turning rate of planes
« on: October 31, 2003, 08:15:58 AM »
Is there a comparison chart that ranks the planes in terms of turn rate?

Also, my main question - does a planes turn rate differ in a righthand turn vs. a lefthand turn?

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
turning rate of planes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 08:37:05 AM »
http://www.netaces.org

this site has a ton of plane performance data. there are many others but this is the one i use most. hope it helps.

Offline fabkebab

• Zinc Member
turning rate of planes
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 10:19:20 AM »
I honestly couldnt find answers to either of these questions - I was surprised about the turn rate not being there, but the other question is probably a bit more obscure - thanks for the pointer though!

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
turning rate of planes
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 11:11:05 AM »
Yak is the only one i can think of that turns better to the right than the left.  Since it's direction of prop rotation differs from the rest of planes in AH.  A p38 can turn equally as well in either direction since it has no torque.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: turning rate of planes
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 11:47:18 AM »
Originally posted by fabkebab
Is there a comparison chart that ranks the planes in terms of turn rate?

Also, my main question - does a planes turn rate differ in a righthand turn vs. a lefthand turn?

There have been charts comparing turn rates of different planes. Search this board for posts by Badboy. His EM diagrams are the best IMO. He hasn't made charts for every plane in the game, nor are they for every configuration but they'll give you an idea of what's happening.

Keep in mind his charts are only good for one plane at a given altitude and configuration(ord loadout, fuel load, flaps). Reason being turn rate is affected by load, drag and alt. A plane that performs well down low may not be able to generate the same turn rate higher up as its engine and prop can't provide the same speed in the thin air. Add to that a wing will generate better lift in the lower denser air than up high. A plane with less fuel will out turn a similar plane that has more as its lighter--less load. Planes with bombs have more drag and are heavier, therefore will turn less well than those without. Flaps help. On some planes. In a certain speed range--that's different for each one and again depends on its configuration!

It goes on and on and on. So many factors. It'll make your head spin!

As to your second question:

In RL some planes will turn better  in one direction than another due to torque and something called P-factor given off by the engine and airflow of the rotating prop respectively. Depends which way the engine spins as to which way a plane turns best. Planes like the P-38 don't have this problem as the twin engines rotate in opposite directions and those factors offset each other. I'm really unsure as to how accurately this is modelled in the current version of AH. It does seem to be there tho.

Drano
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 09:23:06 PM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
turning rate of planes
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 11:55:29 AM »
Originally posted by fabkebab
I honestly couldnt find answers to either of these questions - I was surprised about the turn rate not being there, but the other question is probably a bit more obscure - thanks for the pointer though!

You need to better define turn-rate though, as there are many types of turn-rate comparisons and any one comparison is only valid under very specific conditions of Speed, Altitude and Weight (amongst other things I'm sure).  On the netaces website, look for Badboys files, he has posted some EM diagrams (plus I think there is a link to help with understanding how to read them) that show some turn-rate information for some AH aircraft.  Any single number for turn-rate would only represent a single point, under specific conditions, and would not be accurate under different conditions.  The only constant is, all aircraft in AH are limited by the same pilot induced limit of blackout (6G's).  If you can black the pilot out then you can't effectively turn any more (maximum turn-rate) as you can no longer see what you are doing.

The Typhoon also turns better right than left, it all depends on the engine rotation direction.  Most turn better left.