Author Topic: AI Ground Vehicles  (Read 430 times)

Offline DFbarrel

• Zinc Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« on: November 02, 2003, 09:59:13 AM »
Wouln't it be cool to have ground vehicles automatically spawn when a base is under attack? It would limit your opponent's ability to catch you off guard or not looking.

In realistic terms there would always be someone watching the radar for enemies but in here there may not be. I think that it would make the game much more interesting.

But hey, this is my opinion, what do other people think about this?

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 10:34:05 AM »
The automated AA has always been a sore subject here. Some say get rid of it. Others say keep it and make it more accurate.

Personally I say make the maps two sided and that would make sneak attacks harder. Then require AA to be manned.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline 6389

• Zinc Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 10:44:30 AM »
or at least make the aa more flak then machine gun

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 08:47:30 PM »
But sneak attacks were a main part in the war. Black Cats sank many japanese carriers at night. the japanese didnt know they were an enemy aircraft until AFTER they were hit. The ack could become automatic after an enemy shoots (at night anyway)?

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 05:30:25 AM »
"But sneak attacks were a main part in the war."

That may be true; but this is a non-AI game where the focus of play is human against human.

Where's the conflict in sneaking? What have you achieved? Who have you beat?

More importantly; what offers the most fun, the most bang for buck? To have fought and won; or to have avoided conflict and blown up bitmaps?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 08:44:16 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
Black Cats sank many japanese carriers at night.

they did?!?  biggest kept secret of the war apparently.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 10:58:01 AM »
Seeker is spot on.

Any AI component, should be used to ENHANCE PvP experience, not to act as an ALTERNATIVE to PvP experience. Limited use of AI such as buffs drones are like that. That's the reason why there aren't any AI buff formations roaming around in the MA.

However, ToD mode, is a different type of multiplayer organization - it is heavily based on the immersive role-playing aspect of the war experience, which, to recreate some parts of historical aspects, AI might be necessary - even relied on heavily.

In that sense, AI vehicles should be a great addition to ToD, but not a real option for the MA.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 01:25:59 PM »
Where's the conflict in sneaking?

Thats the point in sneaking, to avoid enemy contact

What have you achieved?

Hopefully, a base, or at least caused significant damage.

Who have you beat?

The whole point in sneaking was to AVOID combat, but you've beaten the bases crap defences anyway.

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 03:32:50 PM »
When you sneak a base, you have still beaten other players, you've just beaten them on a different level of gameplay.  Just because you didn't fight other players in pitched battle doesn't mean you didn't strategically out-manouever and thus defeat your HUMAN enemies.

Of course, the MA isn't a real life war, but it's still a simulation of *a* war (if it's not supposed to be, they should scrap it and create a gigantic team-deathmatch arena with midair spawns).  And so the achievement of objectives by successful evasion of the enemy is no less defeating your enemy than destroying them in combat.  In fact, accomplishing the former means that you have achieved what any strategist will tell you is the highest kind of victory.

There are a lot of wargamers in the MA who enjoy the aspect of strategic level movement of forces, much like a game of chess, just as much as dogfighting.  Fitting, given that each country is a chess piece.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
AI Ground Vehicles
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 06:03:06 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
they did?!?  biggest kept secret of the war apparently.
Saw it on the discovery wings channel, yea yea I probably got the name wrong, thats what someone told me it was though(??). An example they showed, the bomber flew close to a squad of japanese planes and a jap pilot signalled to turn cabin lights on and they flew in, dropped their bomb and flew off before ever engaged by enemy gun or fighter.