Author Topic: 30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality  (Read 10978 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2003, 06:56:43 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I agree with you, Anton, and I would have logged as well. It seems to happen when the fields are too close together such that one side can maintain a conveyor belt effect. You can never get anywhere even if you kill the first 4-5 cons coming in because by the time you've killed the fifth, #1 is right back at you and may have replaced his former ride with a higher performance plane and is in for the grudge match - and wants your arse.

The whole problem has its roots in the payment plan for AH. With a flat rate game working out at only 50 cents a day, it's going to attract all the gamey tardz who have no interest in WW2, but instead want nothing more than to pummel a fire button and watch stuff go BOOM every 5 seconds. Some even measure their "skill" on that basis. :lol

With adequate spacing of fields, the tardz quickly get bored of having to fly for more than 5 minutes to get back to where they were right before their last suicide, and either log off themselves, or go to the BBS to whine about the map, or go to the DA which is where they belong in the first place.

Now I've seen everything.  One of the biggest Queens of the hordes is complaining about the hordes.  Honestly beet1e, if it wasn't for the hordes, do you actually think you'd get a kill?

Raising the price is just as stupid as any of your previous arguments.  

And to blame this on map design is sheer nonsense.  The horde mentality has always been a part of life in any PvP online game and will always be as soon as people find out it's the easiest way to get kills.  But you already knew that.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 07:04:01 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2003, 07:11:56 PM »
Thanks Shane. Someones always there when I slip..

I forgot my duty..

Wheres that lag of yours, I'll shine it up..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2003, 07:44:56 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Now I've seen everything.  One of the biggest Queens of the hordes is complaining about the hordes.  Honestly beet1e, if it wasn't for the hordes, do you actually think you'd get a kill?

Raising the price is just as stupid as any of your previous arguments.  

And to blame this on map design is sheer nonsense.  The horde mentality has always been a part of life in any PvP online game and will always be as soon as people find out it's the easiest way to get kills.  But you already knew that.

ack-ack
You're wrong, and I've got the films to prove that you're wrong. But I won't post them because I don't care what you think. You're still bitter because I shot your whiny arse when you came into a base on your own thinking you could kill everything in sight. Brave, but incredibly stupid.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2003, 08:10:07 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
You're still bitter because I shot your whiny arse when you came into a base on your own thinking you could kill everything in sight. Brave, but incredibly stupid.

But Beet1e don't you see, that's fun situation win or lose.

Fun.

I lose my bellybutton far more than Ack-ack does.

And I'd venture to say that's "what" the majority of us so called quakers ( your term ) are all about.

Fun.

You kill everyone in that circumstance, you get to see the Queens undies..

With that result, I'm still undecided..

But hey, they might be pretty..

So I'll continue to give it a go.

For if nothing else, for the Queen.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2003, 09:37:12 PM »
close bases do nothing but move the gangbangs over the bases:

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2003, 12:03:47 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Todd, you the Same Todd that used to fly in AW when it was on AOHELL under the same handle with   Douce101, Wrace, Rawhide, 6guns,Ken1 and a host of others and the old *Iron Dogs*?

I'm a different Todd.  I went by DeadF, +Dead, and Cilk (among others) in the AOL days.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2003, 02:23:45 AM »
Originally posted by Batz

"Air Combat Arena" with no trappings of the silly war winning and small maps laid out to facilitate the fight. Rotate fighters based on year but have all the planes available to both sides.

Or just put in the original beta setup. THAT was fun.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2003, 03:42:04 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Yes indeed. And some people measure their skill in terms of kills per hour. On closer analysis, I came to realise that those high k/h scores were being padded out by fights over bases. If our highly skilled player were to have killed everything in sight, then that ought to be the end of it. The fact that the slaughter continues in order for some of those high k/h values to be possible means that there has to be a ready supply of cons in order to keep those kills coming. As you say, it smacks of combat near or even overhead the bases, and/or a vulchfest.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2003, 04:20:18 AM »
It is a strange phenomenon.

Tonight I saw, nearly all rooks hitting undefended bish bases, while nearly all knits were hitting undefended rook bases, and presumably the bish were hitting undefended knit bases.

I have come to this conclusion.  Most folks don't want to actually have to fight another human.  Killing the buildings is enough fun for them.

I can't imagine that.  Ever since I found out you could fight other "real" people with hornet for the amiga, that's what I wanted to do.  I could not afford WB and hadn't heard of AW when I found FA 1.0.  There was no base capture.  Just a crap load of fights.  Hell, I don't think we had bombs until 2.0.

I then found AH.  Loved it / hated it.  It was a HUGE improvement FM and graphics wise.  I couldn't buy a kill.   I could, though, roll a heavy 38 off a1(10k) and auger into the closest enemy hangars.  I did that alot in the beginning.   It's was easier pill to swallow than have some jackhole kick my bellybutton with some ACM.

...anyway, doesn't matter.  I just find it strange.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2003, 08:06:10 AM »
beetle... the reason you never understood it then or now is because you don't do it.   The far apart fields cause fights over the bases the close fields cause fights out awayu from the fields.   The guys with high kill per hour go to the fight... there is never enough fight coming to you unless you are about to be swamped and that doesn't last long...

close bases allow yu to go to the cons field and either have the fight mid way, or drag and kill those dumb enough to not want to leave their field... the defenders get bored with not getting killed and can't resist coming out ofter big fat low blue planes.  

close bases allow the timid newbies and strat sissies to clump up and feel safe leaving home..  the real fights in close fields happen near the bases about a third of the way.... there is a steady stream tho, as you say.   They feel they will do better next time and the strat sissies think everyone is trying to take the base.

far bases just make everyone shiver under their bunks when not organizing huge 'missuns' to take undefended bases.

lazs

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2003, 08:21:44 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D

Depends upon who is looking at the map ...

I see alot of different types of "action" going on ... not just gangbangs and that is what this map is all about ... constant action. This picture is also a reflection of what we see on every map ... not exclusive only to FesterMA.

I believe that it was Fester intention to allow the "gangs" to come in, and resistance can launch from a closer field near the "gang" to try a ward them off.

If the base is captured, they had better defend it because a counter-attack from a nearby base could take it back just as quickly. Not quite as possible on any other map. With this, the rolling "gang" is not so effective.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2003, 08:26:19 AM »
"I have come to this conclusion. Most folks don't want to actually have to fight another human. Killing the buildings is enough fun for them. "

Furious ... in a sober and lucid moment speaks volumes of truth.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
this is allways the case on the big maps with the fields too far apart.. everyone is afraid to get too far from home so they go in mobs.   close fields prevent this.
lazs

I agree.

Also, with the fields far apart, its easier to see a conveyor belt since its stretched farther out.

You also have to remember that a lot of squads have their group nights on Saturday and Sunday nights, so if you see a cluster of guys together, its a pretty safe bet that its either a squad or a mission.

The easiest way to stop a mob is to avoid them as they fly away, then kill the fuel at the field they launched from.  Or kill the troops.  Then, fly NOE towards the mob's target and kill the goon.  Eventually the mob will have to land (assuming they don't get killed over the target base).  As they rtb, you catch them low on gas and fuel.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2003, 08:34:47 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
I'm a different Todd.  I went by DeadF, +Dead, and Cilk (among others) in the AOL days.

-- Todd/Leviathn

You were Cilk?

Now I find out.

After all these years.

- oldman

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2003, 08:47:14 AM »
Personally, I dont see where base distance has anything to do with it.  Its always the same, near or far.  You either fly with a group and gangbang the enemy...or you get gangbanged.  I have not played much lately myself.  I am bored with base capture, bored with GV's, bored with furballs.  I want something a bit more "equal"...which probably means me and a few friendlies in a fight for airspace with a similar group of unskilled noobs. (that was a joke....sort of):p

I know there has been some mention before of "planned" furballs.  Did this ever pan out?  two sides agreeing on a location and just fighting for fun...no strat, no caps, no vulches just having at it between 2 bases?

To be honest there are a few individuals in AH who annoy the heck out of me, who seem to live for the vulch or bounce.  or the gangbang.  Mostly because they keep shooting me down without the fun of making a fight out of it.  They should know by now, that they dont need to be sneaky to shoot me down....I rarely win a fight.

Had some fun last night, upping out of 93 and having a small fairly equal fight that was steady for about an hour...then 93 got porked.  MEF4UD shot me down a few times, had some decent scrapes with others, and re-upped a lot.  This situation is what I remember from my early days (not so long ago, actually) and is what made me want to play.  Now, I have a hard time finding such situations.  It almost makes me want to go a-porkin myself...just to get even.  Could this be a prevelant line of thought and why the gameplay is what it is?

Once a Knight is Never Enough