Author Topic: grass runways  (Read 340 times)

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
grass runways
« on: November 30, 2003, 01:14:36 AM »
how do you make grass airfields (the ones that does not have runways) like finrus and france map?

Offline reddad

• Zinc Member
grass runways
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 02:54:47 AM »
JUst dont put one down make sure to use a grass tile {so terrain will be smoth eough to take off and land on,make sure u have a rearm pad,this will give u a sucsessfull landing{towr on rearm}or pull up close to the twr
redrum

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
grass runways
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 06:19:39 AM »
Placing about 4 vehicle field runways next to each other and setting them as runway works better, i believe thats how it was done in finrus.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
grass runways
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 01:06:51 PM »
in france it looks like they just used the  grass tile in replacement of the default ground for where an airbase it and then they put spawn points.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
grass runways
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 08:22:45 PM »
I have used only one VDEPOT object with FinRus "Backwoods Airfields" runaways, because our fields were very small on those Continuation War days. You can use couple of them when making bigger grass fields like in the asw's great France map.

I have skinned the VDEPOD looking like sand and then I made gray colored VDEPOT_a filter: the blackest areas makes the VDEPOT object "invisible", so you can see the texture under it. When the filter's colour is gray, you can see about 50% VDEPOT and 50% texture under it.

Here's the FinRus' VDEPOT object:

And here's the FinRus' VDEPOT_a filter:

Asw has used them in France map totally "invisible" under all those nice grass fields (I think there are four of them). It's easy: just colour that VDEPOT_a filter totally black!

Then you can see only the terrain texture, which is normally "Grass" under airfields, because it's not bumby!;)

And of course, remember adjust VDEPOT object as "Runaway" and "Can not collide".

Actually I have used those invisible VDEPOTs under all Okinawa map's airfields, too, even if they have those (special) runaways. My opinion is that landing must be "Succesfully" on all areas of whole airfield, not only on the runaways!

And those special runaways in Okinawa map... quess how I made them! :D
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
grass runways
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 09:37:52 PM »
I tried the invisible VDEPOT runways and they work fine except I had to set them to "can collide" before I could land sucessfully on them.
And of course, remember adjust VDEPOT object as "Runaway" and "Can not collide".

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
grass runways
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 05:11:26 AM »
Sorry, I remembered it wrong and you are right zmeg: It must be "Can collide" checked!:)

You can do the same thing to the FLDCAP and FLDCAP_a, which is under the "Capture Town". Then you can use it invisible for ex. under the GV's spawn/entry points: If you land your GV over it, you're "Landed Succesfully", not "Ditched".

But remember that the terrain under it must be always flat! ;)
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment