Author Topic: Poll: Your Favorite Toy...  (Read 4592 times)

Offline MaxQ

• Zinc Member
Poll: Your Favorite Toy...
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
HO scale race cars by Aurora. I had a track setup that covered 2 ping pong tables, replete with grandstands, lychen bushes and trees, telephone poles with thread "wires" connecting 'em. I can still trace the track layout on a piece of paper.

The whole thing got wiped out when hurricane Agnes visited SE Pennsylvania and flooded our basement in 1972...sniffle.   :(

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
PEPBOYS Sold mini-bikes. I had the E-Z rider purple 4HP w/ the 'sissy' bar and large front spoked tire.

NUTTZ

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2001, 07:19:00 PM »
Right Guard cans in the campfire work well to wake up your buddies.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2001, 07:23:00 PM »
Reading through this I can hardly believe any of you guys are still alive.

Then again, my favourite early school toys were matchbox cars and petrol/metholated spirits.  Would set up an elaborate crash scene, complete with wrecked family car with caravan then light the whole thing.  Must have gone through 50+ matchbox cars that way...  :D

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2001, 07:36:00 PM »
I am very disappointed that no one has mentioned a Green Machine. Those things were cool as chit. My other favorite hobby was building snap-together models, then pouring model glue all over them and setting them on fire. Was a blast until I melted the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier to the bottom of our bathtub  :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »
"Sizzlers" were part of the "Hotwheels" line - no surprise they were slotless. "Rock-em Sock-em Boxers" were known as "Rock-em, Sock-em Robots" round these parts.

How about the "Johnny Eagle" gun series?
The guns that fired plastic bullets from spring-loaded cartridges (and ejected the cartridges. I recall (and owned) a Winchester lever action rifle, a Colt 45 auto and a double barreled shotgun. They definely would be a major contender on the "dangerous toy" list nowdays.   :D

Originally posted by hblair:
Anybody remember the "Sizzler" race cars and track? They were rechargeable and the track didn't have slots.

How about "rock-em sock-em boxers" Huh!?    :D They were fun, of course me and my brothers always ended up disageeing on who won and a fistfight would ensue.    :D

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Arlo ]

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2001, 08:40:00 PM »
Legos. I would make huge castles and inmerse myself into imagination like I was on acid. Funny how we always acted like on drugs when we were tardlings.
Then came the BB rifle. Oh, the bird shooting ultra-violence, real horrorshow..

Then came the Nintendo, and it ruined everything. I no longer needed an imagination. Even the BB gun was put aside..

must... play... nintendo...

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2001, 09:00:00 PM »
Legos! To be more specific space legos! Would follow the instructions and build what was in them and 2 seconds after I was done take it all apart and slap something together of my own creation. I have a younger brother and when I was just turning 20 or so he got space legos for christmas, and I found myself playing with them again  :D  I also remember a similar thing called mechano or something like that. Pieces of metal and nuts and bolts. Only got that one christmas, must have been expensive.  And who can forget the good old cardboard box. When the parents got a new fridge or stove then woo hoo, you got to play with the box.  :)

When I was 6 or 7 I got a heifer calf for helping with chores and when I sold her a year or so later I took some of the money and  bought a CR 80 dirt bike. My first vehicle  :D Not sure if its really a toy or not  :)

Offline JaCkNiFe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2001, 09:05:00 PM »
BARNEY!!!!!!!!! naw mine was micro machines !!!!!!!!!!! and fireworks... stick some m80s around a dirt mound with little inf and tanks and light and watch the fun... OOO and find some slugs and shoot bottle rockets at them THAT is the funny shiet ever!!!
<>P<>

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2001, 09:16:00 PM »
Anyone else get this for Xmas?  :)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2001, 09:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel:
Green Machine. Those things were cool as chit.

Yeah those were great.   :)  We used to play "chicken" with them in the street.  We would ride toward each other as fast as we could and see who turned first.  Another thing we used to do was jump ramps on our bicycles...at least until my nieghbor damn near lost an eyeball doing it.  He was jumping on a bike with no rubber grips on the ends of the handlebars and crashed and almost stuck the end of the handlebar thru his eyeball.  He ended up with 6 stiches right on the edge of his eyesocket where the handlebar pipe hit him.

Damn Tonka trucks were the cool watermelon too.  We used to get in the bed of the dumptruck and ride it down my aunts driveway in Kingsville, TX.  It was on a big hill.  Was fun, but you had to stop quick at the bottom or you would hit the lip in the concrete that went into the garage and that wasnt very fun.   :D

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2001, 10:15:00 PM »
I had a nice race track.  Not the TYCO or HO series, the big cars in a figure 8 race track.  Thansformer weighted about 10 pounds!!

I also remember a toy called a "Mighty Mike" which was a battery powered 4-wheel off-road that could fit in your hand.

Also the Crash Bang Smash Em Up Cars.  Ya put the toothed pull strip in them to make them go and when they hit something the doors, trunk, wheels, and hood came flying off!!

Ah!  Those were the days!
 :)
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2001, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2:
Legos and BB guns!
I used to spend entire days making stuff out of Legos!
Used to spend about an hour a day shooting BB guns as well!

eskimo

dude i was the lego king.  i played with the stuff until i was in grade 9

and i m not talking about once a week for a bit.  i played with lego far more than i play aces high.

i would have one the "arthritic knuckles award if they had one" (akin to our pasty skin award)
a great sadness comes to me as i see todays prefabbed crap lego.

back in my day we built our walls!

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2001, 10:55:00 PM »
again, i post

i had u fly it.. i augered it in so many times...

wheelo diddlyin sucks, but i know where it is in a box at my parents house, i am going to break it out next time i visit them

i will prolly puke from watching the design on the wheel spin around

man i miss being a kid

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: loser ]

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
Marx Bros. electric train - anybody else remember those?

And a couple of Ringmaster jr's, and a Ringmaster with McCoy Red Hed .35  :)