Author Topic: WW2OL: I'm Hooked  (Read 1829 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
WW2OL: I'm Hooked
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 01:23:03 PM »
Pffft....I am so freakin lazy, I don't want to learn a new interface.

I'm sitting here hoping AH will get interesting again, but I'm just not seeing it.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 02:03:00 PM »
LOL Raub!

Originally posted by Makarov9
banana,

I re-upped my WWIIOL account the other day but haven't joined in a game yet. I need a good refresher leason.

Can you give me to website to the No. 66 Commando? Thanks!

Mak, here is a link to Datter's WW2OL TOD site.

http://www.davidtitusproductions.com/tod/

No.66 Commando doesn't really have a website per se, only a BBS forum at Datter's site. You can find it under "forums". But you can't get access until you join the squad. There is, however, a general WW2OL discussion forum where you can ask questions and discuss anything that comes to mind.

But I could meet you online sometime and show you the ropes. BTW, I've reverted back to my old Warbirds callsign of baxl in WW2OL.

Muckmaw, Stringer Johnson, Westy, et al....

You know that I was among WW2OL's biggest critics, especially since I tried many times since it's release. I wouldn't be so enthusiastic unless they've made drammatic progress. In all honesty, I don't fly much in WW2OL. For one thing I think AH does a better job of the air war than WW2OL, but the other reason is that I enjoy the ground combat so much, I don't really care much about the air war.

I'm not leaving AH, and I'm not trying to influence people here to quit AH and move to WW2OL. All I'm saying is that $27.94 per month will buy you AH and WW2OL accounts. That's a bargain!

Habu, for some reason always being on the defensive doesn't bother me. One great thing about being on the Allied side is that there is seldom a dull moment, and the fights are pretty easy to find. I guess don't play to win, so much as I play to have fun. And I'm having more fun than I can shake a stick at.

I will say that unlike my other times in WW2OL, I joined a squad right from the start this time, and that has made all the difference. Playing with old WB and AH comrades every night and talking to them on Team Speak really makes the game special. If any of you guys decides to give it another try, I recommend you get into a squad immediately. I happen to know of a good squad that is hiring! :)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 02:32:48 PM »
"You know that I was among WW2OL's biggest critics, especially since I tried many times since it's release."

Hey.  I resemble that remark!

And fwiw I've been playing it for mostly the same reasons you are now too.

For me,  I like HTC (not as much as I used WAY back when they used to interact a LOT more with the player base)  but I've come to really dislike the cheesy gameplay and behavior I see online in AH's MA (and even in the CT).
 On the other hand I still really dislike the CRS crew BUT I do have to give a nod to them for thier DAILY interaction and for successfully making the ground war in there fun after all.

I only closed my AH account because I wasn't using it anymore. I'd outgrown AH and I did not feel I was getting what I needed anymnore in return. Sure the two accounts combined would be less than what I used to pay for one month in AH but I felt keeping my account open to simply "support" AH was sending the wrong message to HTC.  I feel thier withdrawing from interacting with the subscriber base and the focus on "fun gameplay" were two big mistakes.
 Add in that there have  been no more realism features added after a couple of years many players asking & begging for them. And I don't have a lot of faith there will be any in AH-II/TOD. I'm refering to engine and aircraft managment features like those seen in"Target Rabaul."  Sure HTC gave AH "neat" things like auto takeoff, combat trim, left in the auto retract flaps and blessed AH with the "hollywoodesque" external sounds but these are features that made AH have more "Air Warrrior" appeal.  The direction AH went in is not something I choose to continue to condone by paying for it and to top it off I just didn't see me playing anymore AH (special events are not "married with children" friendly) until TOD comes along.

Anyway  See you there!?    I switched sides last night to begin my Allied character after having reached "Captain" in the German army.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 02:57:35 PM by Westy »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 02:56:07 PM »
As far as flying in WW2OL goes I'm hanging out for AH2-ToD now. WW2OL-pessimism has set in. Flying the 109 for nearly a year is boring as hell. The game still doesn't have a structural damage system. The DM is not cumulative. The FM is just... well... is it an FM?

But the ground war is fun, and the squad I run with over there is a great bunch. But every now and then I poke my head into the MA and its... OK for an hour, after that its boring.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2003, 04:20:57 PM »
I lost my interest to ground war when Destroyers were released.
It was a pain in the as to begun building up your rank from private up to the leutnant (rank you need for DDs and freighters) but it was worth it.
We just brought couple DDs from Willemstadt Holland down to the Le Crotoy France thru the channel.
We met couple enemy DDs and aircrafts on our 2,5hour trip but 'cause axis equipments are so über we were able to fight our way thru.
We also had a navigator and with his help we were able to avoid "early warning systems"; he gave us waypoints and new compass readings where to turn to avoid allies EWS.
That was our little "Channel Dash" and now theres some pretty pissed allied players thinking "where the heck did those destroyers came from??" :aok
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 04:23:19 PM by Staga »

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 08:06:12 AM »
I admit after your last post on this subject, I did go and dl the game, and sign up for the trial period.

Lo and behold something did change as it now recognized both my X-45 stick and throttle, and my CH pedals. It just recognized the CH as j/s #1. No problem, could work with that.

Performance (framerates) in game are much improved with fps never falling below 25.

Comms are still a mystery, never did figure out how to change channels, and don't have Team Speak. Who would I talk to anyway. Why join a squad on a two week trial.

Didn't care much for having to spend 15-25 minutes searching for an airfield that had planes for me to fly, and those fields were so far from the front lines I was looking at a 30 minute flight to the action. Even so I was restricted to Hurricanes and Hawk 75 flying allied, and the 110 axis. Never could even grab a Stuka as an axis pilot.

Damage model? Nothing visable short of being on fire, or a hole in your radiator. Also nothing like pouring an entire ammo load from a Hawk into a 109 with no results.

I did have one experience in a 110 that was entertaining. Was Rtb after taking a hit in #2 eng. Eventually this horrible grinding noise presented itself, joined by an incredible shaking of the whole plane. Not knowing how to shut down #2, I endured it until the engine finally siezed. I did make it back, but luckily was close to base when the engine quit. WW2OL 110 will not fly for long on one eng.  

So other than some performance improvements, the game finally seeing all my controllers, I didn't see much to recomend the game. It's still a lonely experience for the newbie. Finding the action is a hit or miss proposition, involving a great deal of hunting about, to find available equipment.

I'll pass again for the time being.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 08:32:59 AM »
Very tempted to try it.....

Very tempted.

Westy said Exactly what I've been feeling. I thought it was just me.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 08:37:33 AM »
Yes, I agree with you, Weav, that if you go into the game as a newbie looking to fly, it's pretty lonely out there. That's why I don't fly much.

On the other hand, if you're interested in ground combat, No. 66 Commandos would be happy to have you. The game is infinitely more fun and easier to get into when you have a bunch of squaddies online that can help you out. If you want to join, just hop on over to AGW and post a thread to Dslick stating your intention to join. He can provided you with everything needed to join.

I don't know why so many people are afraid of Team Speak. It took me about 2 mins to install and config it, and I was up. It's no more difficult than Roger Wilco is to setup.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 08:44:08 AM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
Very tempted to try it.....

Very tempted.

Westy said Exactly what I've been feeling. I thought it was just me.

Muck, if you want to try it, I can't stress strongly enough the need to join a squad immediately. My learning curve this last time joining was cut tremendously by having squaddies around to asnwer my questions.

I also recommend doing nothing but being an infantryman for your first couple of weeks, as you don't need to map your joystick, and you can focus on learning how the gameplay works.

The first time you find yourself hiding behind a hedgerow, and a Panzer rumbles up and nearly squishes you as it goes by, will really get your adrenaline going. Happened to me the other night, was scary as hell. :)

Westy, are you going to join No.66 Commandos so that we can be squaddies? :) :) :)

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2003, 09:09:13 AM »
joining a squad is almost a requirement for the game.  I used to lonewolf almost exclusively, and doing the squad thing has raised the fun factor ten fold.

Missed a couple great infantry raids last night, was about 7 of us.

Also I rarely fly in the game also, to me it has too many bugs still.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 10:51:51 AM »
Interesting.

I havent heard much about WWIIOL recently.

Last time I played I lasted 45 minutes before I deleted it.  Something about being an Atari style stick figure with a pipe for a rifle turned me off.

Flight models?  Blah... I could flat turn until I got tired.

Ill check it out though.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2003, 12:43:44 PM »
That sounds really good banana.  BTW I've submitted a user registration request for use on AGW as I feel any more posts by me here is being disrespectful to HTC.  My submitted handle for AGW is "Lostgoat" because "Westy" was already taken.  Go figure...
  I'd use the (WWIIO) boards  but, well, the plain truth is they sukk and there is too much "noise"  to wade thru to keep tabs on any particular topic.

Thanks

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2003, 12:48:00 PM »
Yeah, I use AGW for all my WW2OL talk, as that's where all my squaddies hang out. No need to go to any WW2OL boards.

Make sure you start a thread to ask Dslick for the registration key for the squad.

Can't wait to see you in the game!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2003, 10:13:27 AM »
Do I need anything besides the  1.10.2 dnload to check it out again? I have an old retail CD.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2003, 10:22:42 AM »
Raub, all you need is the big download you listed above, which you can get here:

http://www5.playnet.com/bv/wwiiol/index.jsp

When you create an account there, you can enter in your CD Key from your original CD, and it'll keep it on file, so you don't have to enter it anywhere again.

I didn't use my original CD to install the game, I just used the full download file.