Author Topic: Change name of Dueling Arena to Furball Arena  (Read 2441 times)

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
Change name of Dueling Arena to Furball Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »
its not? dang

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 10:35:35 PM »
Have you ever noticed that on any map the action is mainly between the two closest bases?

When one of those is taken, the action moves to the next opposing pair that is the shortest distance apart. Nobody wants to make the flight to the fight any longer than it has to be.

The solution on all the maps is what Laz pointed out a long time ago. Move all the bases closer together. Make it so all the bases are less than a sector apart. Reduce the percentage of pure vehicle fields. Every airfield has a VH, so you aren't reducing the availability of vehicles in the least.

Do that and you have more fights in more places. I think this will make everyone happy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 10:44:17 PM »
Nobody wants to make the flight to the fight any longer than it has to be.

This is true... makes me think, how many are going to fly TOD after "new" is off of it...

CAVALRY
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 11:26:19 PM »
Originally posted by BigR
i dont understand how its too much to ask to just make those bases uncapturable. Someone please give me a good reason why. I want to hear why its so important for somebody to take one of the FT bases. The "war" can still be fought and won without the FT bases. The people who are at those bases want Fighter vs Fighter battles. The only reason to capture or pork one of those bases is to make people angry.

Also, a dedicated furball arena would fail miserably. No one would fly in it. There isnt a large enough player base to support more than one arena at a time unless there is a special event going on. I would love to see it happen, and thrive. I just don't see it working.

Translation:

There aren't enough furballers to support a furball arena.  It didn't work when it was tried in the CT, and FT was so polluted by "impure" types that it was another failure.  Face it, there weren't any furballs in FT--just a bunch of vulchers, cherry pickers, and alt monkeys.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Really.  That's how many play the game.  Just a few more obstacles and challenges in my way on the trip to capture your field.

mwaaahaaahaaahaaa.  ha.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 11:38:29 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Have you ever noticed that on any map the action is mainly between the two closest bases?

When one of those is taken, the action moves to the next opposing pair that is the shortest distance apart. Nobody wants to make the flight to the fight any longer than it has to be.

The solution on all the maps is what Laz pointed out a long time ago. Move all the bases closer together. Make it so all the bases are less than a sector apart. Reduce the percentage of pure vehicle fields. Every airfield has a VH, so you aren't reducing the availability of vehicles in the least.

Do that and you have more fights in more places. I think this will make everyone happy.

Well, you need to understand that you don't understand what "nobody" means, or "everybody".

Nobody means not one person.  Everybody means all persons.  Obviously, your definition is different.  Your "everybody" means "those that agree with you".

I, for example, often launch my missions from bases a bit further away than the shortest distance to the target, to get altitude, or climb over mountains, or get the flights organized.

Let's oversimplify your approach to the game:

1.  Bases should be really close together.

2.  Fighting should not be interrupted by bombing, vulching, gving, base capturing, or other attack stuff.

3.  People can do the above attack stuff, but do it "somewhere else".

4.  Furballers need non-furballers, as they make juicy targets and add to the furballer's k-d ratio.  Non-furballers should carry ord (in order to be a more stable target platform) but they should NOT do any attack stuff near furballers, though.

5.  Furballing has something to do with autoeroticism--I got that from lassie's post.

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2005, 12:24:57 AM »
Originally posted by rshubert
Translation:

There aren't enough furballers to support a furball arena.  It didn't work when it was tried in the CT, and FT was so polluted by "impure" types that it was another failure.  Face it, there weren't any furballs in FT--just a bunch of vulchers, cherry pickers, and alt monkeys.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Really.  That's how many play the game.  Just a few more obstacles and challenges in my way on the trip to capture your field.

mwaaahaaahaaahaaa.  ha.

Everytime you post something the same thought pops into my brain.

I think about all the toolshed heros that have put the strat thing aside to come to the DA with me and do some real combat training.  Its tough to get the PWNers of cartoon shacks to the DA however once I do the result is always the same.  Shall I tell you what happens to them after they do?  Ok.....

They stop being -shedders and start being -ballers.  No I didnt stutter....It is absolutely Automatic.  Most convert after the first hour in the DA.  Some hold outs last longer but they all come around eventually.

Once people actually learn how to fight...... thats all they want to do.  Fight.  

Imagine it..... an air combat sim that is actually full of air combat.  Breath the free air my friend.  Only one thing can set you free.  Resistance is futile.

Dave
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 12:28:52 AM by Nomak »

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2005, 12:48:47 AM »
!!!!JAAAaaaa M@k3 TeH FurBA1L Ar3nA G3t PWnd By !!!RIGHTS 2 QUAH!!!
!!!JOoo D1rtY FUn N@z1 N0oB B@sT@g3s!!!
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2005, 01:23:49 AM »
I wouldnt worry about losing a few guys from the MA...as far as thats concerned, they really arent there now. The reason it may not work is because of the way furballers think. A DA/FT environment, isolated from the MA, would start out big. Then after the best guys did all the killing, the guys who thought they were good would get sick of dying. They'd go back to the MA where they have a chance to kill a guy worse than them.

The remaining guys left in the DA/FT would soon tire of being so good, but not having an audience to see the kills they landed. They too would return to the MA and pursue what they require to stay interested. Its human nature, folks want a reward for a job well done. The reward here is recognition.

Now we have the revamped the DA into an FT, and still have few people in there. The furballers all return to the MA and the debate continues. The only way to stop it would be for the rest of the players to simple come on and be fodder for the furballers and stay quiet. Dont bomb anything...just be the targets they want and enjoy the tower screen.

No that cant be the answer...how about just ignore people who tell you how to play. The only thing I agree with, is to leave the Donut FT and TT on maps alone. There is no need to grief them. Any other base is fair game. No matter how much fun the furball is.

~AoM~

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2005, 10:42:29 AM »
You ignore the obvious. The fights always occur where the bases are closest. You don't see the big conga line between bases that are a sector and a half apart if there are two other bases that are closer than that available for conflict.

You yourself may launch from a base futher back but the conga line is always between the two closeest bases.

1.  Bases should be really close together.

Obviously. The majority of action is always found between the two closest bases of any two opposing countries.

2.  Fighting should not be interrupted by bombing, vulching, gving, base capturing, or other attack stuff.

I never said that but feel free to build a strawman argument. It's what you do best.

3.  People can do the above attack stuff, but do it "somewhere else".

I never said that either but feel free to build a strawman argument. It's what you do best.

4.  Furballers need non-furballers, as they make juicy targets and add to the furballer's k-d ratio.  Non-furballers should carry ord (in order to be a more stable target platform) but they should NOT do any attack stuff near furballers, though.

Totally incorrect; FT is the obvious proof. The Furballers are quite happy to play in their own sandbox on the donut map and let the grand war to capture towns and win oh-so-valuable-perk points go on unnoticed on the rest of the map.

It was the Toolhshed heroes that couldn't restrain themselves from injecting themselves into FT. It was perfectly clear which bunch felt attention starved

5.  Furballing has something to do with autoeroticism--I got that from lassie's post.

Which simply shows you don't understand the argument in the least.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2005, 11:32:32 AM »
Originally posted by Westy
And along the same lines HTC could rename the OFFLINE button on the welcome screen to "Shed Battling Arena."

I just wanted to make this stand out.

:aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 11:38:28 AM »
Blah bu blah bu blah bu blah whimper sniff.

boo hoo!
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 12:06:06 PM »
maw maw!  make them stop!

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 02:20:47 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
!!!!JAAAaaaa M@k3 TeH FurBA1L Ar3nA G3t PWnd By !!!RIGHTS 2 QUAH!!!
!!!JOoo D1rtY FUn N@z1 N0oB B@sT@g3s!!!

Dude, your keyboard is seriously messed up.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 08:13:53 PM »
Originally posted by Toad

(blah, blah blah...)  Which simply shows you don't understand the argument in the least.

I have never run into such a bunch of determinedly single-minded, self-aggrandizing, pompous bunch of people in my life as you furball fanatics.  What, pray tell, makes you clowns so sure of your own superiority?  It can't be intelligence.

Carly Simon probably said it best:

"You're so vain, you probably think this song is about YOU."

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 09:25:17 PM »
I had you pegged as a carly simon fan.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's