Author Topic: Just saw Last Samurai (minor spoilers)  (Read 510 times)

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
Just saw Last Samurai (minor spoilers)
« on: December 05, 2003, 06:35:02 PM »
Fer starters, I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise. With that out of the way, him being in the film really didn't add or detract from the movie. Well, except for the one scene where he strides out of the house in samurai armor. Almost fell out of my seat laughing at that one.

Overall, it reminded me a lot more of Dances with Wolves than Shogun. It was more of a passing of culture story than an action flick.

If you no nothing at all about Japanese or American history (ala Trail of Tears kinda stuff), LS is still a good movie. If you know a bit of history, it makes it better in that you can pick up on a lot of the more subtle underlying stories. Things like the big change in culture when Japan outlawed the wearing of swords. How Native Americans were portrayed to the general public, etc.

If you like Japanese history or Kurosawa films, you'll probably like it. If you're looking for 2+ hours of people running around with swords chopping people up, you're butts gonna get numb along with your brain.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 06:57:50 PM »
sounds good...ill probably go see it in a couple months when it finally gets here...

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 11:44:36 AM »
can't stand cruise... one of the new breed of sensitive overactors...  Figured he finaly got the part he needed... he is surrounded by asians... he probly doesn't have to stand on a box for most of his scenes in this movie.  

Guess I was wrong.. I figured his next movie would be an adventure amungst the african pigmies.

lazs

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 11:46:04 AM »
That man's vanity knows no end.  Just go rent Yojimbo or Throne of Blood if you want to see a real Samurai movie.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 02:13:19 PM »
he probly doesn't have to stand on a box for most of his scenes in this movie

He actually looks shorter than a lot of the other characters in the movie. Well, except for the kids. :lol

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 05:47:24 PM »
see... he woulda been better off doing the pygmy movie.

lazs

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 06:00:12 PM »
Saw it today and someone yelled out, "Use the force Tom."  If you see the film you'll know when that is.  It's a pretty good film even with all the self loathing.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 12:08:53 AM »
Just got back - thought it was fantastic although Im fuzzy on some of the history and potential inaccuracies - off to research.

Thumbs up from me.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 12:18:16 AM »
will try to see it
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 03:53:30 AM »
Im fuzzy on some of the history and potential inaccuracies

One of the more subtle things that irked me had to do with the swords. Quite a few were being worn blade down.  That would have been correct for Tachi, but they had been phased out several hundred years before the time the movie was set. The primary sword for the (movie) period were Katana, which were worn blade up. While it could have been possible for some of the swords to have been family Tachi, they were too short.

This is a pretty common flaw in "Hollywood" Japanese films.
Even in the first Highlander flick Ramirez' sword was actually a Tachi, even worn correctly, but it's always been referred to as a Katana.

I didn't think about the "Use the force" while I was watching it, but it brought a nice chuckle when thinking back on it.:aok

edit - Forgot to add that one of the cool things they did regarding swords...Not sure if they did it intentionally or not, but in the scene where they show Katsumoto's daisho, they're in the passive position. Falls in line very well with how his character is portrayed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 04:16:00 AM by jigsaw »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 04:32:35 AM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
One of the more subtle things that irked me had to do with the swords. Quite a few were being worn blade down.  

Really?  I didnt notice it, in fact it cought eye they were worn blade up.. :)  

Anyway the movie was great!

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 05:31:29 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
can't stand cruise... one of the new breed of sensitive overactors...  Figured he finaly got the part he needed... he is surrounded by asians... he probly doesn't have to stand on a box for most of his scenes in this movie.  

Guess I was wrong.. I figured his next movie would be an adventure amungst the african pigmies.

lazs

GAWD DAM lmao COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER:rofl

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 08:59:10 AM »
It was a good movie IMO. Fully worth money....unlike other recent movies.