Author Topic: CHog  (Read 1140 times)

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
CHog
« on: December 11, 2003, 10:37:36 AM »
i been flyin the Chog a bit lately and really like the guns on it.  other than being a vulch machine and keep it fast, any other tips to flying it successfully?
TY
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
CHog
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 02:56:11 PM »
Boom and zoom, learn how to keep your E really well. If you get into trouble, it rolls VERY well, so if a spit is on you, you might just be able to scissor your way out of it. Do not turn with many planes, because it stalls. The F4U-1D is a little big lighter, turns a TINY bit better, but has the 50's. You should try that plane out, it is a monster also.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
CHog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 05:16:35 PM »
Boom and Zoom? I think it can be described as more of an angles fighter. No it won't turn with the knife fighters  in AH, but (and its a big but) it has a roll rate almost as quick as the 190's. This gives you the abilty to change direction very quickly (IE turn quickly), you just don't commit it to a turn fight.

You will generally have trouble in  a knife fight with the turners of the AH fleet, as it has fairly poor handling qualities at slower speeds. Keep it fast though, and it is most definetly a monster.

I prefer the D-Hog over the C-hog for the simple reason that I like the 6 X .50 cal.  The F4U1 is a bit lighter, handles and turns better, but has 4X .50's (IIRC) and poorer visibility due to the birdcage canopy.

"Keep it fast" is generally a good idea, it does its best AtoA work above 225 or so. It's not an exceptional "zoom and boomer" IMO, it tends to bleed E fairly rapidly. It is however a great machine for "cutting one from the herd", and leading him to the slaughter house.

Try this.....take a hog and fly it at around 200mph. Feel how heavy and sloppy it feels. Roll rate is sluggish and wallowy.
Level off and let it accelerate past 250mph. Your hog just went from a plow horse to a thoroughbred, and its ready to kick some butt.

All in all a well flown hog demands a certain amount of respect. It is a pretty formidable opponent.
(just from my experiences with it)
Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline IHham

• Zinc Member
CHog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 06:50:08 PM »
If you ever are in a slow turn fight(I would recomend you never get to that point) but if you are, drop a notch or two on flaps and increases your turning ability and just might give you the edge you need to gain angles against even a niki.

I have even matched a zero in a turn fight, flaps can really work magic against and plane

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
CHog
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 07:37:08 PM »
thank you guys, appreciate it:}
~S~

++The Blue Knights++

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
CHog
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 08:44:06 PM »
Flap-Overs and Wing Overs for turns.....  Just takes a dab-o-Hizuka to down all but the toughest opponent...

Offline Yorba

• Zinc Member
CHog
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 10:09:06 PM »
the F4U1 has 6 .50's like the D, and I feel it is better for air-to-air.  If you burn the LW tank first, the stalls in turns are a bit more forgiving.  It still won't turn with spits, but is a good poor man's p51.

Offline Patches

• Zinc Member
C-Hog......
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 07:09:18 AM »
keep it fast...keep it high....

pick your target......but....

don't turn n' burn with the kids....

make a pass at your target...if the target manuvers and you find you have no shot...go back up...gently extending to preserve energy....and reposition for the next pass....

take plenty of fuel...and a drop tank....time is your friend...

afterall...if you're flying a C-Hog, you're not looking for perk points...

you're looking for kills.;)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
CHog
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 08:06:05 AM »
Originally posted by Yorba
the F4U1 has 6 .50's like the D, and I feel it is better for air-to-air.  If you burn the LW tank first, the stalls in turns are a bit more forgiving.  It still won't turn with spits, but is a good poor man's p51.

That's my perception of the birdcage Corsair, too.  It has the same guns package as the -D but has a longer range since it has wing tanks and the -D doesn't.  Burn the left tank first, then burn your external tank, then fight on your main, rtb on your right wing tank.

The birdcage also seems a bit better for bomber intercepts, maybe its longer range makes it better for climbing to alt, it also seems a bit faster above 20k than the -D.

I haven't flown the C-hog much but the impression I get from being shot down by it is that in the snapshots and HO's, it rocks!

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
CHog
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 10:18:12 AM »
The F4U-1 really is a different bird from the other Corsairs.  It does feel a bit better in handling, in general, but it is certainly even less powerful.  The acceleration and climb rate are really poor, even compared to the D-Hog.  You really can't afford to waste energy in the F4U-1, it's pretty impossible to replace it quickly.  All the fuel burn suggestions are spot on, LW first, then you can actually let it auto-burn if you'd like.  the LW tank doesn't last all that long anyway, anything less than 1/4 in it and you are fine.  The F4U-1 is a little faster at most alts than the C- or D- Hogs but getting to speed is pretty painfully slow.

You should check out my website:

Soda's Aircraft Evaluations

I recently updated the F4U-1 section and hope to get the other Hogs done soon.  I've been flying a bit of F4U these days just to get my feel back for the aircraft.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
CHog
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 04:08:15 PM »
thank you guys again, i seem to be doin ok in it.  keep it fast is key, it handles great at high speeds and those cannonz are great.  :D
~S~

++The Blue Knights++

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
CHog
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 01:05:24 PM »
The C hog is the purest "killing machine" in AH. It really isnt a stellar preformer in anyway except the leathality of the guns. Since all your really doing is looking for a guns solution keeping the bird fast is obviously smart...that being said...its not a tiffie and pure speed wont protect you. It has a couple of things you can exploit.

Assuming your up high with some alt & E 1key is to come in a bit slower than expected...I'll fly a bounce in the C-hog with the throttle chopped and even some rudder skid...i'm looking for 325 or so max speed against a nikki or other turn fighter...you'll catch em in profile as they try and keep up speed to catch you on exit. Of course you need to keep the nose down and headout of dodge...never chase a 2nd shot in a c-hog.

second option is a 2nd pass setup...you dont want a shot on 1st pass simply to force a break....then engage on second pass...key here is limited vertical extension...you need to stay in close contact...1.8 sep or less...again your probably off gasthe 1 notch of flaps as you reaquire con.

Goal of both is to be "in the sweet spot (275-325) as you aquire shot window...dont go lower than 275 and dont turn more than 120 degree's at any time...always have 5k of air under you.

2nd set of options is co alt in a mixed furball...

you need good SA and focus on two shots...front quarter and rear quarter. dont turn much as you fly thru...use rudder to "rotate the nose...Ideally look for cons flying across your path...but you can "scrape off" cons from the good guys as you zoom thru. what kills you here is the little bitty turns chasing shots. Once your flying in the furball...not zooming thru it your just another target

3rd...all things that go up will come down and the C-hog is no different...at some point you'll run into a higher faster plane.
1st look at map while you can and pick direction to fly...away from a gangbang...toward help if you want/can. Then get fast...keep some alt if you can but fast on the deck is better than slow at 5k. Your not trying to get away...your getting the fight fast...you want about 1000 ft min from deck to keep some verticals. Once the con is engaging you want to use your biggest advantage...your e bleed to get you a shot...to do that you'll need to keep con engaged...dont "flop" ...agood stick will back off. I usually use drex's nose low turn...easing of gas to find sweet spot and see if con will turn with me...if he does you tighten it up to blackout "cone" and go vertical if he's tried to pull lead you reaquire him on rearquarter view...roll AWAY and pulldown and thru to cut the elbow and you might have a good look...If he goes UP whenyou turn...then go 90 degrees back other wayas soon as you see his belly...you can gain 2.0 or even more seperation...as he reaquires you look at closing speed...if he's nose down and gaining...go nose up a bit to gainwhat you can before using another nose down turn...if he's blown enough E that closure is slow...then point nose to deck and extend on out of dodge...as a last resort your secret weapon is your rudder...it's a giant air brake. If you cant get away start a scissors at high speed...your roll rate will throw con out of sequence...go two or three (he needs to be in close fighting for shot) and then pop flaps rudder and even gear in a nose up rolling scissor...as soon as you get the nose over (if your still alive) you should have an overshoot if you can find the con...even if he's floating above and behind he's prob overshooting you...biggest key is keeping vis...most of the time you have a shot if you can see it...of couse if not your doing 100mph and adeadduck:eek: but by then you where dead anyway:)

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
CHog
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 10:32:04 AM »
If you keep your wits about you turn fighting in the F4U isn't too bad of an idea. Like most american fighters you wont win a fight by turn rate, but if you have good timing you shouldn't have too much trouble getting inside your opponent. The F4Us accell at high speed turns, offering an incredible turn radius at speeds greater then 250mph. If you go into a fight fast and keep your nose down you should burn enough altitude to keep your opponent from slowing down and finding his best instentanious turn. Once your opponent can pop a notch of flaps you're going to be in trouble, so keep a close eye on his speed and if it starts dropping really fast zoom or run.

If you're in a defensive turn fight in the C-hog try the standard jug evasives, the performance at low speeds is almost as nice and those big cannons can get you kills on the overshoot. Consider dragging your opponent to the deck before starting to turn, so that you're opponent has to pick a more direct line of attack and you won't have to turn as hard to set up an evasive.

-pellik

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
CHog
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »
no hog is a forgiving aircraft even the f4u-1

it takes a smart pilot to fly a hog and come back alive

1 you must watch how much input on the stick pulling to hard at low speeds can cause the hog spin of death

2 the top speed at level flight is no were near the other boom zoomers 190d-9 109g-10 p51 la7 so you must leave the fight early before you get some lala on ya

3 the dive and roll of the hog is great
but it takes smart flying to use roll rate

4 all hogs can take a beating more then once iv had to put 2 times more ammo in a hog

now i may sound crazy here but iv done rope a dopes in the chog you must watch your stall with great care not to spin it out of control

last thing i dont no how many people do this but if your having trouble landing it then fire off all your cannon ammo it makes it so much more easy to land it
known as Arctic in the main

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
CHog
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2003, 12:43:13 PM »
Above 400mph the CHOG rules, low & slow its easy picking by just about anything.