Author Topic: Drop Attack Category  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Drop Attack Category
« on: December 13, 2003, 07:41:08 PM »
Drop the attack option for fighter aircraft and you will knock out 1/3 of the suicide dweebs in the MA.

The original reasons for putting it in were all thinly veiled score whines anyhow.

We'll still have suicide porkers, but this should cut out the more experienced players who know better but get lazy and dumb in large groups. It should neuter some squad nights in their current form and that would be a good thing.
Hornet

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 07:53:17 PM »
So your assertion then is that suicide jabos are guys that care about their fighter score but not their attack score?
Pretty simplistic solution to a probelm I think.

Offline SixxGunn

• Copper Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 08:00:09 PM »
I wish they would just automate it.

If your dropping stuff in the dirt or straffing planes on ground it should score those kills as attack automatically.

If your destoying objects score as attack.

If you kill other planes in the air score as fighter automatically.

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 08:20:05 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
So your assertion then is that suicide jabos are guys that care about their fighter score but not their attack score?
Pretty simplistic solution to a probelm I think.

Didn't posit it as a complete solution...please read the actual post please.

My thoughts as well SiixxGun.
Hornet

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 10:35:04 PM »
Hornet I disagree.

While I hate'um as much as you do, I see "them" in a different way.

I don't see them as score mongers. If the scoring system was changed as you suggest I don't think it would change a thing.

I see them as low experienced guys that try to fit in to the current "goal" of taking bases and winning the war in a real time basis.

Nothin better for a new guy to announce on country channel, "Such'n such is ready for a goon"...."Fighter hangers are down at such'n such, "Fuels down..bring it"

Their PART of the game in a VERY short amount of time.

There talkin and relating and there IN there when their online. Score has nothing to do with it.

It's to be accepted as a cog in the wheel of the war that never ends. To be a "part" of this world we escape to.

Your old school, I'm old school. If it takes ninety years we will be the badest mothers in the valley.

They're missing that. And the sad part is they don't even know it.

But until there is a decent training system here, the lemmings will continue to outnumber the fighters.

You have a good training system, the lemmings won't be lemmings, they'll be fighters in training.

This place would be scary with an arena full of fighters.

Makes me shiver..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 10:47:26 PM by nopoop »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 11:35:12 PM »
The only training required is that necessary to get their VISA card number safely into the corporate computer. They all have that.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 11:45:01 PM »
Wrong analogy.

People who suicide into things probably don't even know that there's such thing as an "Attack" score button at the hangar.

People don't suicide into things for scores. People suicide it because they are posessed by the great objective of winning, but do not pay the price of dying.

They want to help their country win, and have fun pushing the enemy back. But since they suck, they aren't much of help. So instead of going the long process of learning to do things right(which in pure terms of effectivity, is actually less effective than rampant suicidal runs), they simply jump into the target with bombs strapped on.

Oh they don't INTEND to die, but they sure don't care about surviving the attack run.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 11:48:07 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 12:52:50 AM »
"them"

lololol !
Cooleyof 367th

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 01:01:13 AM »
This issue first came to light with suiciders hitting the cvs. HT asked for suggestions but it seems he discovered the futility of trying to put an end to it. Now it has extended over to a much worse problem.

Im hoping the TOD arena will bring about a change of pace.

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 11:56:09 AM »
Poop you always make a good point, and training, not the "shame" threads on the bbs, or gameplay prodding like my suggestion is the holy grail here.

Sometimes I think though that maybe HiTech has made his world a little too good....and art now truly imitates life.

If so even training may fall short. It becomes a case of what part of one's personality brings them...or more accurately pulls them in here. Eventually we may have to accept the rule that "5%...5% will be tigers."
Hornet

Offline JB42

• Nickel Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 12:14:48 PM »
Ahh, you all ASSUME that the suicide dweebs are noobs. I have picked up many a proxy of some pretty big names that suicide pork. The problem is there is no consequence for the action.

ie: I was at 12k when i spot a typh coming into our base. He dives out and starts to lose me so I adjust to pick him of coming out the other side of the field. He straffs the barracks at the airfield but i catch him before he gets to the town. The name comes up and I say to myself hmmm, I must have got lucky.
Well not too long later I'm back on my perch at 16k when I spot another typh coming in. He blows past me, puts nose down and heads for the town like a screaming banshee. After following his dive I realize I better pull out now or not at all. I skim the ground and get the proxy on the typh. Same guy. I private text him and tell him i didnt think he was a suicide dweeb. His response, " I got your barracks didn't I?"

There are a lot of guys out there that just know how to game the game. The problem will never go away until theres a price to pay for dying. Hurting your rank is no such price.
" The only thing upping from the CV are lifejackets." - JB15

" Does this Pony make my butt look fat?" - JB11

" I'd rather shoot down 1 Spit in a 109 than 10 109s in a Spit." - JB42

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 12:20:58 PM »
I'm sure you guys all realize the only point of this game is entertainment. If part of the entertainment value was not intended to be base capture then objects would be invulnerable.

I find it kind of silly to ridicule someone for how they take their pleasure from this game, but that's just me.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 12:49:30 PM »
I don't think anyone cares how they have fun. If they want to fly into the ground over and over let them. The problem is the disproportional impact some of these suiciders have on the other players.

There have been calls for lots of radical solutions. Like perking ord, planes limits etc..... All are far worse then the suiciders. If game play could be restructured to take the focus away from field capture that would be best.

At the very least (AH2 fields look good) make the structures harder for 1 or 2 guys to pork. Add more fuel tanks per field. Space them out. Adjust the amount of re-supply per goon etc....

The fighter guys don’t want to force them into something they don’t enjoy. However they have no problem forcing their idea of fun on every one else.

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 01:12:39 PM »
I think the ATTACK scoring category is important for people who simply don't like to dogfight. This game is not just about dogfights. It does have objectives that involve winning perk points by taking all of another countries bases. I find it entertaining that many of the players who scream at others for disabling their forward barracks and being suicide dweebs (to prevent their eastern front from being rolled up) are the same guys who are flying LaLa's, N1K's and Spit's. I find it hard to believe that THOSE types of pilots are holding the banner for "true" fighter savvy and what the game is really all about.

I think the best solution for people who want to fly strategic missions vs. those who like to dogfight exclusively is what is already being proposed. In AH2, we will have the standard MA and in addition to that, we will have the strategic "war" environment which really requires squad level cooperation and is about taking territory/running missions.

Remember, if you don't give attack scoring as an option, then quite a few planes in the current plane set are going to be fairly useless to fly (with regard to gaining perk points) and might as well be removed. BF-110 and A-20 are two that come to mind. Granted, they can be flown with deadly effect by a good pilot, but not against swarms of N1K and LaLa dweebs. Or is the real intent here to simply reduce the plane set to 3 different fighters ?

I also have a broader definition of "suicide dweeb". Anyone who ups to fly against Leviathn or Steve..... LOL....

Hyrax

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2003, 02:26:35 PM »
we will have the strategic "war" environment which really requires squad level cooperation and is about taking territory/running missions.

HT said there will be no base capture or war winning in AH2:ToD. It's a mission based arena. He will run specific theaters but there will be no land grab etc......

That type of gameplay will always be apart of the main.