Author Topic: you be the judge: side by side comparison of ah1 vs ah2 at 16k  (Read 3360 times)

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
you be the judge: side by side comparison of ah1 vs ah2 at 16k
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2003, 12:36:07 AM »
Well,...... you really can't make a very good judgement call on the graphics.  

Because the graphics  are so much more detailed , to run the game smoother you're gonna have to prevent *ALL* the art from viewing at once. The distant art, which is irrelivant once in a dogfight, is chewing the HELL out of FPS. So Fog\Haze is used for something besides just graphics, it's used as a filter to prevent distant detail art from clogging the vid card to the point of crawling on hands and knees through a desert of crushed glass and razor blades. The less distance you can view, the faster the game is going to run. It's the trade off between Detail and FPS on all PCs.

Turning off the fog would make the game awesome to see that detail long distance, but your FPS would be like 4. Making it an option would make the game unfair to slower PCs.

my 2 cents ;-)

Animal (AW)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 12:45:06 AM »
Originally posted by Citabria
guess how high these fools are

and yes metatron I have my CSEL/CMEL instrument airplane ratings
ummm.. above 10k they'd need oxygen masks.... but since you called them "fools" i'd say12-13k

look at that hazing... and i know thats a clear day

i have flown (in passenger airplanes) plenty of times to know that haze over the ground makes the surface look distorted.

my guess is that's what HTC is going for. a more realistic look.

in you above "comparison" screenshots the current AH has ZERO atmosphere effects. the ground looks as clear as if you were 1000 feet on a sunny day.

IMHO thats not right. maybe just maybe AHII isn't perfect either.... but it's NOT done yet. i will say it's closer to real life than AH is right now. thats good enough for me.

sry fester.. we have winged together a small few times, and generally had a decent time. i have to ask though, why must you continually berate the tons of work HTC has put forth? i'll bet dollars to doughnuts that AHII Beta was released to us really early in development for multiple reasons including:
getting opinions on the looks, testing things that would be tedious in the "lab", and "feeling out the croud".

i would only hope everyone knows that it is a work in progress. a major re-design from the ground up, not just a re-do.

like the early on "hangar" they threw something out just to have it. not a final design. my guess would be since all they are concerned about if FR and graphic glitches they are stikll working on the graphic's engine code.

pls save your b****ing for when final or at least semi final game designs' are implmented.

sry but had to say it.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2003, 01:17:56 AM »
Overdone haze will kill the bomber guys. Most of the haze you see in R/L is man made these days (smog from cities etc.). If it was like that in WWII 30k B17 raids would be impossible.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2003, 01:22:27 AM »
Lets not forget, HiTech is a pilot also.  

Also, pollution from Great Britian was so bad in the 1940s and 1950s, that it killed most of the fish in Norway.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2003, 02:29:35 AM »
nice personal attack jb73.

I said judge the side by side photos not me personally. start another thread to do trash me personally.

and I'm quite interested in seeing ah2 be as good as it can be with lots of feedback on things that need working on. HTC has thick skin and they are consumate profesionals. they take constructive critiscism in stride and they always do the best they can.

when I see somthing I believe could or should be improved, I point it out. after that HTC does nothing, somthing, or somthing else.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 02:57:38 AM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Tequilla

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2003, 07:50:48 AM »
I agree Fester. The haze effect in Ah2 will stay the way it is want to know why? because with this effect it causes less detail to the graphics. Sorry to say I think its here to stay.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2003, 08:09:52 AM »
Originally posted by JB73

pls save your b****ing for when final or at least semi final game designs' are implmented.

sry but had to say it.

I have noticed that when any other software has alittle problem we are allowed to call it names and complain about it.  Not when it comes to HTC though.  For example: Hey the VOX is not working.  Shut the hell up and thank HTC that you even have one.

Hey I have a problem with GVS.  Shut up you GV dweeb.  You better thank HTC for allowing you to pay them the 15$ and play the game.  

Hey, there may be a broblem with XYZ airplane.  Shut up, no complains allowed.  If you don't like it go play something else.

Let me explain something to you and HTC.  We are customers.  Not all of us are 12 years old but all of us pay for a service.  We will complain when we want to,  and make sudgestions on how the service we pay for can get better.  The guy did not even say anything bad about AHII.  He just saw something that he did not like and desided to see what others think.  I am sick and tired of the BBS gestapo :mad:

So, JB unless you are the spocke person for HTC, pls save your b****ing.
sry but had to say it.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2003, 08:12:18 AM »
Originally posted by Citabria
nice personal attack jb73.

I said judge the side by side photos not me personally. start another thread to do trash me personally.

and I'm quite interested in seeing ah2 be as good as it can be with lots of feedback on things that need working on. HTC has thick skin and they are consumate profesionals. they take constructive critiscism in stride and they always do the best they can.

when I see somthing I believe could or should be improved, I point it out. after that HTC does nothing, somthing, or somthing else.

No No No Fester, you got it all wrong.   Be thankfull you are allowed to post here and wait until, lets say 6 months after the release of AHII to make any sudgestions of how the game can be made better for evryone.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2003, 08:14:06 AM »
Originally posted by Tequilla
I agree Fester. The haze effect in Ah2 will stay the way it is want to know why? because with this effect it causes less detail to the graphics. Sorry to say I think its here to stay.

I agree that the fog can help graphics, but then how do they do it in AHI?  I think it is just a diferent thing HTC wants to try, as a betta and get some reactions to it.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2003, 09:08:25 AM »

sry fester.. we have winged together a small few times, and generally had a decent time. i have to ask though, why must you continually berate the tons of work HTC has put forth? i'll bet dollars to doughnuts that AHII Beta was released to us really early in development for multiple reasons including:
getting opinions on the looks, testing things that would be tedious in the "lab", and "feeling out the croud".

i would only hope everyone knows that it is a work in progress. a major re-design from the ground up, not just a re-do.

like the early on "hangar" they threw something out just to have it. not a final design. my guess would be since all they are concerned about if FR and graphic glitches they are stikll working on the graphic's engine code.

sry but had to say it.

Guys, if you think this is a personal attack, your in for a rude awakening.

Geez, he even apologized and Fester.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2003, 09:11:19 AM »
Heyas Cit....

While I might agree that AHI is more like what I see when I flew rl, AHII seems to represent 16k alt more accurately in regards to what 16k looks like in rl as to altitude....AHI looks more like 5-7k to me.

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2003, 10:25:12 AM »
ummm.. above 10k they'd need oxygen masks.... but since you called them "fools" i'd say12-13k

You do?I'm not sure what altitude you are required to wear oxygen in aircraft,but I regularly ski Copper Mountain,and it's summit is 12,313 feet.I've never seen a single O2 tank up there lol.

Offline Sway

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2003, 10:31:26 AM »
Would a new computer that I just got do the job for AH2, or would I have to add something?  I don't seek too good of settings either, i fly with a mouse for the love of god.:D

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2003, 10:51:27 AM »
Originally posted by dedalos
I agree that the fog can help graphics, but then how do they do it in AHI?  I think it is just a diferent thing HTC wants to try, as a betta and get some reactions to it.

You're not catching on here. The graphics in AH2 are *much* more intensive then in AH1, therefore, fog is needed even more.

If we all had multi gig CPUs and awesome video cards it wouldn't be such an issue.

Granted, I may be off on WHY HT decides to use more of it, but my guess is to keep FPS up on all machines. Watch you're FPS when you com,e out of a cloud, or into clear views, my guess is it's going to drop about 10 fps. IUf you are already at  say 25 fps and you get a hit\drop of 10, you're game has just become unplayable. At you're lowest point you need to be no less then 22-25, I think a VCR is like 24-33, so you can guage from there.

AH2 is more intense. And I'll bet my last dollar HT could do even more with the art,,, but will all machines run it without choking to death? It's truely the art of balance, and wise choices.

Another 2 cents,..

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2003, 10:58:22 AM »
Originally posted by FT_Animal
You're not catching on here. The graphics in AH2 are *much* more intensive then in AH1, therefore, fog is needed even more.

If we all had multi gig CPUs and awesome video cards it wouldn't be such an issue.

Granted, I may be off on WHY HT decides to use more of it, but my guess is to keep FPS up on all machines. Watch you're FPS when you com,e out of a cloud, or into clear views, my guess is it's going to drop about 10 fps. IUf you are already at  say 25 fps and you get a hit\drop of 10, you're game has just become unplayable. At you're lowest point you need to be no less then 22-25, I think a VCR is like 24-33, so you can guage from there.

AH2 is more intense. And I'll bet my last dollar HT could do even more with the art,,, but will all machines run it without choking to death? It's truely the art of balance, and wise choices.

Another 2 cents,..

Agreed,
but I would think the intencity of the graphics would be a factor at low alts, where the detail is visible.  At 10K or 16K it should not be any different.  I think they jst try new things to see if we like them.  Anyway, its just an opinion.

My FPS on AHI is 37 to 45.  With some adjustments on AHII I got the same performance flying low through the fields.