Author Topic: Hi-Alt Bombing  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2004, 04:45:34 PM »
That's how I tend to think of it, Soulyss....  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2004, 08:46:47 PM »
bombing should be done always full speed.  and calibation should not be started untill doors open and at full speed.

and always set target alt when you first take off and start your climb. Don't calibrate untill 5 to 10 miles out unless cons in sector. you set target alt at takeoff to save time incase your under attack when dropping . no need to wait to set target alt. Hitting hq with all 18 bombs in a b17 formation at 35 k is very easy. do search under my name read bombing 101. It will explain how to sink cv's kill entire towns or hit hq. last if your hitting a strat for points using 250's hurts score doesn't help. using anything less than 1000's hurts score and rank......................... if that is why your going to strat. ! sortie in b17 should get you 1 milllion points  for 1 formation sortie oits very easy to get 1 mil per sortie.......

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2004, 01:03:55 AM »
Originally posted by rod367th
...calibation should not be started untill doors open and at full speed...
From your post in the other thread I know this isn't what you meant to say.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2004, 01:10:26 AM »
you don't start calibration untill bomber at cruising speed and doors open..........is exactly what I meant to say.............:)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2004, 01:37:38 AM »
anything rod says that differs from what i said, ignore me.  he bettah at it.

though i do from a very dweebish stand point hope my struggles at hi alt and the solution i found helped someone.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 11:09:29 AM »
So (this is a question) crucial points in high alt bombing are:

1.  go to the map and verify direction and speed of crosswind (prevailing wind), usually 30 knots (mph?) at 16k;

2.  head directly into or away from crosswind (prevailing wind), not perpendicular to it;

3.  release bombs a little later heading into prevailing wind, and a little earlier heading away from it (tailwind).

While this would appear to be the most accurate course for high alt bombing, doesn't the elaborate bomb sighting procedure account for crosswind if not negated by always bombing directly into or away from it?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2004, 03:20:09 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
3.  release bombs a little later heading into prevailing wind, and a little earlier heading away from it (tailwind).

No, the bomb sight calibration takes care of this.

While this would appear to be the most accurate course for high alt bombing, doesn't the elaborate bomb sighting procedure account for crosswind if not negated by always bombing directly into or away from it?

This is where your heading comes into play.  If you missjudge the correction for wind drift you will be forced to turn into the wind or down wind.  This will pretty much ruin your calibration if it's more than a very small correction.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2004, 05:09:51 AM »
yes it does compensate for cross wind, but you've a harder job when you calibrate instead of just n to s you're also trying to hold the cross hairs steady e and w simultaneously.

try it off line above the wind layer.  you'll see it and feel it.

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
Practice
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2004, 07:28:03 PM »
I've been going offline to practice.  The only issue that I have is that I read on a website that most bombings take place at 10k from the base.  What would be the best alt to commit to a run?  Otherwise, I've been doing great!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2004, 07:05:31 AM »
i took her up to 30k offline and practiced on factories.  i found no accuracy probs over wind layer.  it's just a non issue if you bomb n to s.

if you get off that line, calibrating becomes more difficult.  not impossible, just more difficult.

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
Wind
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2004, 04:08:27 PM »
Where do I find the wind information?

IE...direction, speed?

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2004, 05:26:57 PM »
first off dont care about score and dont be a score dweeb like rod here

i bomb factorys to help keep fuel ack radar troops down longer and they do take longer if you bomb the factory in the same zone

after doing test offline and trying to find out the best way to bomb a factory and best bomb size

the best place to aim is were those small fuel tanks are just try to hit as many as you can and hit anything that comes over the bombsight

a factory i think is about 5 lines across and  all your trying to do is take out the most you can so the small fuel tanks do as much as those huge fuel tanks and you can get alot more small tanks then doing a pass on those big fuel tanks

the best bomb size is 1000ib but depending on the bomber smaller bombs may be more useful

if your flying a B17 and your only going to do 1 bombing pass then take the 6-1000ibs if your doing more then 1 pass take smaller bombs

JU88 has the best bombing plantform nothing is more easy to bomb with maybe a TBM but the JU88 is great for new bomber pilots but its not well armed but if you get to the target and CAL right then you be asure your going to hit the target

the JU88 is great for strat bombing TO drop the 4 1000ibs on the first bombing pass and drop the 20-100ibs on the 2

the only bad thing about the JU88 is that its guns are very poor but due to the strong airframe you should be able to kill 2 enemys iv got 3 before in it
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2004, 05:44:08 PM »
wind is on the kneeboard at the top the spiral shows the arenas wind and direction ...

its ussuallu at 16k and is in a northly direction

woo hooo  20,000 post in this thread :aok
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline CKMATE

• Zinc Member
HI ALT BOMBING
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2004, 11:27:25 PM »
***S***  All

thanks for posting tips.... i've had some horrible runs and some good runs. it's been an adjustment from aw bombing. going to try these "posts" offline.

<

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Hi-Alt Bombing
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2004, 10:46:48 AM »
the method i laid out works very well on factories.  of course, there's more than 1 way to go about it.  

saw some discussion about bomb load.  i usu use 250's because that's all one needs to take out a bldg, or fuel, or ammo, etc.  also
gives you more passes.

in lanc's i forget what i use.  500's and the cookie?