Author Topic: Gunnery skills  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2004, 12:55:11 AM »
I had read that before, and thats where I got the idea about making a gunsite on plastic to maximize over the nose viewing.

This is so gamey,  maybe the gamiest thing I've ever heard.  You happily admit to it like it is some sort of clever thing to do.  I don't care who rises to your defense on this one....    *PUKE*
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2004, 12:58:15 AM »
I never claimed it was clever. You're projecting. You don't like it and I don't care. So where are we? Instead of thowing out arbitrary decisions of what you consider puke worthy, why don't you state what it based on.

In the article, the author states a gunsight is just reference.  Doesn't matter if it a piece of gum stuck on the windshield. But you have a problem with a piece of plastic on a monitor. Why?

Is it ok if I wear my reading glasses to see the icons or is that gamey too?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 01:07:16 AM by TweetyBird »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2004, 01:04:13 AM »
*Puke*

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2004, 01:09:16 AM »
Work on that vocabulary. It will be easier to communicate with you.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Gunnery skills
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2004, 01:18:44 AM »
I went to the AW and WB conventions back in 1998 when I still worked at CH Products and got to see a lot of different player's setups.  I had noticed that there quite a few at both conventions that either placed stuff like what Tweety Bird described or map reference points.  I don't do it but I don't consider that any more 'gaming the game' as raising the gunsight to eye level.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2004, 01:34:44 AM »
Like I said, I don't care who comes to your defense, it seems VERY gamey.

Love ya ACK-ACK  but this is anti-immersion gamey stuff imho. Besides, I don't see the advantage, many people have fine  hit %'s without such ghey devices.  

Tweety, my vocabulary is fine.  Why wax verbose when one can express oneself succinctly?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2004, 01:42:03 AM »
Bah.  Learn to visualize the lead, people.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 09:23:36 AM »
Its fine to state your point and your reasoning behind it, but characterizing someone as thinking they're "clever" is going to cause problems.

I'm immersed just fine, thank you. It might be different if I was up 20k in a 51 picking off dead planes, but furballing at 500 feet tends to keep your mind in the game and your butt in the tower.

When you state your reasons for a position, its a lot easier to deal with than a characterzation presented as a reason. Its the anti-immersion thing bothering you? Well we can follow that logical path through all kinds of set ups. What if my vision is poor and I have a magnifyer attached to my monitor - that "ghey" too?
What if I have one arm and adapt a prosthesis to hit the viewpad keys better? How "ghey" is that? Say I have  fused neck vertebrates and place the monitor 45 degrees over my head. No immersion?

Thats the logical path of your point. And until HTC starts requiring physicals to play AH, I think its a bogus point.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 09:48:52 AM by TweetyBird »

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Gunnery skills
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2004, 09:50:47 AM »
I gotta gree with Steve- as hard as i try i can't imagine ww2 pilots standing up in their cockpit to aim.

My hit % is usually about 15-20% but i wouldn't consider myself a good shot over 300yrds.  I do consider myself pretty good at deflection shooting though.  I find deflection shooting pretty easy at close range.

I don't agree with flying with no tracers for me personally, i find them very useful.  I only fire small bursts and if i miss i use the tracers to correct my aim.  If you use them walk you bullets to your target though i would agree, perhaps it's better to have them off.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2004, 10:54:59 AM »
I use a single dot pipper and raise the seat as far as it will go just before the pipper disappears from the top of the HUD. I consider this within the real operating parameters of the cockpit.

Drawing a dot on the screen or any other device that allows you to raise the seat higher so that the pipper is no longer visible on the HUD, I consider gamey. If you do it, I don't really care ... just not my personal preference.

For those over the nose deflection shots, prior to losing site of the target, one must understand the POM of the target and your POM  before pulling lead and firing. Like Lev said, you must "visualize" for the blind shots. This is not something that comes easily or quickly for most, I would assume, and thru many hours of fighting and/or practicing the "visulaization" gets better.

How many find it easier to get deflection shots than off-center 6 shots ? Sometimes, when I have locked onto a target, I wait for the target to turn before firing (I do not do this under "furball" conditions tho).
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2004, 11:28:41 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Bah.  Learn to visualize the lead, people.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Right on, DMF.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2004, 11:30:16 AM »
Originally posted by SoulzofAW3
I live over on Southside, right near 5 Points South.

That area was one of my fav hangouts 20 years ago when I attended UAB.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2004, 11:42:14 AM »
Last night I went to the training arena and chased driller around with the Friendly Lock on.  That by far was the best practice I have done with regards to gunnery.  I immediately noticed a difference when I went to the MA.  

I also tried the .target, but that only show dispersal from strait 6 shot, and without a plane on the target it really doesnt show much.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2004, 12:28:35 PM »
but characterizing someone as thinking they're "clever" is going to cause problems.

It might cause problems, but only for you.  Like you, I am entitled to my opinion.  I got the impression you were rather proud of your gamey trick, so I responded as you saw.  If that's a problem, you'll just have to deal with it.  I'm not going to apologize for stating my opinion.

Its the anti-immersion thing bothering you?

Nope, it just seems so gamey that if it was on my monitor, I'd have a hard time enjoying the game....

What if my vision is poor and I have a magnifyer attached to my monitor - that "ghey" too?

What if I have one arm and adapt a prosthesis to hit the viewpad keys better? How "ghey" is that? Say I have fused neck vertebrates and place the monitor 45 degrees over my head.

Speaking of bogus points,  nice try.  The above examples are equalizers for the poor soul who might be suffering from such afflictions... not gamey add ons to give an advantage that others do not have.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2004, 01:16:13 PM »
I also tried the .target, but that only show dispersal from strait 6 shot, and without a plane on the target it really doesnt show much.

HT or anybody ...

Are the diameters of the circles on the .target a known parameter ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."