Author Topic: IE5 + Speedup  (Read 197 times)

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
IE5 + Speedup
« on: May 25, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
Hiya's,
      Not sure which forum to post this exactly so doing it hoping it won't offend forum purists  

I have a 56k con to the net for the moment, Now i was reading through a favourite site of mine and came across a piece about speeding IE5+ up, It involves adding or ammending 2 lines in the registry (if i can do it anyone can)  lol
Read it and make sure you understand it (don't blame me if ya make a mess  lol)
As for it working !!!  all i can say is wowsa  it sure does work on my IE5.5   not connection speed but the actual loading on pages, All is explained at the link
 http://www.the-scream.co.uk/html/resources/ie_reg_tweak.html

Have Fun

Def

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
IE5 + Speedup
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2001, 04:41:00 PM »
Wow! I have seldom believed claims of speeding up internet access... have always assumed all those ads are just people looking for money... but this is free!!! and really improves the efficiency. Like the ad says, modify your registry and presto... faster page refreshing.

However, being the cynic (and engineer) that I am, what is the tradeoff? You never get something for nothing. In this case, I am guessing there are two possible side effects. The first, is that by violating hypertext protocol you may not always be able to interface with a site properly... though if that were true, shouldn't I see that right away? The second (and most likely) is that the only penalty is that I am tying up more streams of data than is fair. So, just like a doublewide trailer on an interstate, no penalty to me, but may slow others on the same servers down a bit.

[This message has been edited by streakeagle (edited 05-25-2001).]
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Gunslayer

• Zinc Member
IE5 + Speedup
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2001, 05:07:00 PM »
Heya,

Most of the speed patches do increase web page download at the expense of ping. Larger packets make web pages load faster but smaller packets move back and forth faster. These speed patches change the way information is sent and recieved on your computer to allow only larger packets. This is great for surfing but will seriously hinder your ping time for gaming.

Gunslayer

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
IE5 + Speedup
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
I tried this and it does seem to increase speed somewhat.  I haven't actually ran a ping to HTC, but I doubt gaming would be effected.  AH makes no use of the HTTP protocol.  Packets are sent primarily as UDP and can switch to TCP if UDP is not working properly.

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
IE5 + Speedup
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
I just ran a traceroute, no apparent increase or decrease.  

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
IE5 + Speedup
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2001, 05:50:00 AM »
Hiya's,
       I have done lotsa pings to test for side-effects too, So far my pages load lots quicker and game pings the same so for me i have gained without losing conx speed

Have Fun

Def