Author Topic: The "Best" newbie plane.  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« on: August 18, 2001, 06:54:00 PM »
I've been giving some thought to this matter.  Why is it assumed that the "best" newbie plane is the N1K2 or the Spit?  Granted, those might be the best planes for a newbie that like to turn, but how about if he likes to go fast?

I think the LA7 has my vote for the best "non-turny" newbie plane- followed by the 190D9 in a close race.  I'd say the Typhoon was next, although you could make an argument for the P51 there.

How about you guys?  What do you think is the "best" non-"turny" newbie plane?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2001, 06:57:00 PM »
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline mortis

• Zinc Member
      • http://blah
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
I was told to use the spit when i asked what a good newbie plane was.  MarkAT showed me the errors of my ways and now I fly the D11.  :)  difficult as hell for a newbie like me to fly, but I love learning in it.  This newbie especially enjoys shooting down the occasional La7 or N1k in the D11.  :D

Mortis aka ERiddle

ready for school AKhog?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
Well, it depends what you define as a newbie.  The typical newbie to aircraft sims, wants to turn.  They may like spit sure, but as soon as they try to turn they complain that the plane is junk because it can't outturn anything at 100knots...

If i had to choose one... yeah it would be one of the La's.  The Yak9U would rank high but weak and small ammo load kinda rule it out.

SKurj

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2001, 09:00:00 PM »
....because newbies tend to be ham-fisted and turn WAY too hard anyways, so everyone always advises them to fly a plane that can handle the overly agressive turns.

My advice is to fly every plane eventually.  You learn more about what your target can and can't do when you've been on the recieving end yourself.

Hans.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2001, 09:14:00 PM »
La7 turns very well well imo. If it begins to get out-turned it can outrun whatever's out there barring a tiffie (which wouldnt turn with la7 in the first place).

Offline chunder'

• Zinc Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime:
 (Image removed from quote.)  

I'll have to disagree with ya Hang, 108 isn't a good newbie plane since it's broke right now (right APU won't work)   ;)

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: chunder ]

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2001, 09:32:00 PM »
Good thread!!!..Made me think back to when I first flew online(AW3) and regularly got shot up every time.Tried all the "famous" planes and found the turn planes got me killed the quickest.It turned out the P51d Mustang was the first plane that inspired confidence.Once I realized it was not a great turner but was fast as heck,I started to think like a real combat pilot..That patience,setup and speed were the keys to getting those first kills.And once I learned that,those turn fighters started to work for me as well..  :cool:
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2001, 10:30:00 PM »
Well, until you can land a plane, 3 point you really shouldn't be to conserened with what you fly. I think a good practice plane for landing is the spit V or P51 for that.. nice 'n' slow for easy landings. For combat your best trainer I think would be the N1K. Big guns and enough power to run. For aerobatics is woult be the P-38. Twin engine for stability. It depends on what you're style is...

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: FDisk ]

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin:
Good thread!!!..Made me think back to when I first flew online(AW3) and regularly got shot up every time.Tried all the "famous" planes and found the turn planes got me killed the quickest.It turned out the P51d Mustang was the first plane that inspired confidence.Once I realized it was not a great turner but was fast as heck,I started to think like a real combat pilot..That patience,setup and speed were the keys to getting those first kills.And once I learned that,those turn fighters started to work for me as well..   :cool:

Sirloin, thats my thinking exactly.  I started off by flying the 109G10 here in Aces High, had never flown an online sim before.  I think not being able to yank and bank effectively means NOW, 4 months later, if I want to hop in a Spit I can fly it much more effectively than had I been flying turnfighters from the start.  I don't know though, maybe it is just me.  I still prefer the E-fighters like the P-47, 109, and 190.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
Any slow plane.

Spit IX is really good all around newbie plane.

If you can not run, earlier or later you will learn to fight.  :)

Fariz

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2001, 12:18:00 AM »
Yes Fariz- but part of "learning how to fight" is know when to run and when to press the attack.  At least, it is in my opinion.

You can look at my record in the 109G10 from the first month I started (april), until last month, and you'll notice that my record got a lot better in it.  I'd attribute that to learning "when to run"  ;)

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2001, 03:24:00 AM »
IMHO the 109F is pretty good one to start flying because it's pretty easy to fly and performance is good enough.

gripen

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2001, 05:24:00 AM »
Urchin..

Newbies are newbies because they like to turn like crazy  :D No newbie likes going fast  :)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
The "Best" newbie plane.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2001, 07:37:00 AM »
Urchin, in my 5 years of flight sim experience I bet I can count guys like you on the fingers of one hand.

Most guys who are new to flight sims will start out turning & burning, and slowly learn E management, and work their way up to fast planes.

Only now & then do you get a truly natural
E pilot who starts out doing well in fast planes and slowly learns to turn.

However, I do agree that the la7 is a good choice especially for anyone with previous flight sim experience. It very quickly teaches you to use your speed to your advantage. It turns well enough to get good shots off on spits & N1k's.