Author Topic: Remorse for virtual death?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Remorse for virtual death?
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Rude-

Not respect you? Nah, I do. I'll still take friendly pokes at you, though.  :)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Poke away man....just watch out for my fragile ego!

:)

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by hitech:
Karnak:
 DING DING DING, Give the man a cigar, Those are the resones we don't give much a death penalty.

Basicly it comes down to, if the primary goal is living, why fight when you have a choice.

Ive experainced playing settups where death was to much a penality. On the extream is was a one life to live per night arena. In the not so extream it was AW's EOL system.

Players tended to always run if there was a small chance they might die by fighting.

HiTech

HiTech

But HT, you do have death penalties...and rewards.
Check the perk system:  Highly visible points birds like the F4U4, ME262, AR234. All of these birds will cause a player to throw caution to the wind for a chance at building up points.  I've proven it by dragging a dozen dweebs at a time in a 262 or F4U4. They all broke off an attack on a base to try to get me.  :D
Then there are the scores:  Ranks for fighters, Bomber, Vehicles, Boats, Over All, Squads...etc.
All of these are incentives and punishments.

Obviously we don't all share the same views on what is important.
Lots of the newer players like the furball, while many of us experienced folk love the strategic base capture.
A good ballance of both is nearly impossible to attain, and seperating the community is an idea that sucks.
I like the idea of penalty for death, but I think that a penalty for EVERY death would stink.
Perhaps a timer applied system?
Say, if you have 4 deaths in an hour, then Death 5 would invoke a 5 minute time out (muting communications on all but Squad chan. should be part of this  :) ). After the time out, the counter would be at 0. (of course it would suck to not be able to kill NHCouger 20 times in a vulch, but I'll live :D)
This type of system would induce some sense of consequence and perhaps allow us to have lower perk penalties on the good stuff.  ;)

Viper

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2001, 09:11:00 AM »
HiTech said "much of penalty", not "no penalties"...

and timeouts? Are you serious?

You guys won't be happy until you make the game 'fun' for you and the other 4 people that think those setups are "fun".
-SW

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2001, 09:39:00 AM »
"fragile ego"

I can't stand people who use Latin.

;)

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
SW.. it don't matter who tells em.. they still don't get it.

rude.. you may not believe this but other squads that fly completely different than yours are filled with skilled players who are all friends.  course... we don't worry as much about "respect" or "like".   If we don't "like" someone we just don't let em in.
lazs

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
How about if no enemy planes are within 3k, fuel burn rate is tripled?

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »
Haven't the time to read the entire thread, sorry, but, what about promoting landing kill streaks?
Landing 5 air/air kills means free perk prop planes for next flight. If some of the 5 is a buff, free perk bombers also.
Landing 10 air/air kills means free perk jet fighters for next flight. If some of the 10 is a buff, free perk bombers also.

This will motivate both, survavility and agressiveness of the pilots.

Oh! I almost forget, kills in a spit dont count for streaks   :D

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
Man-

Good idea, though it might need some adjustment.

BTW, I went a sailin' in the 190 last night. Love that ride, I feel invincible.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2001, 11:23:00 AM »
"I feel invincible"

That's your polished black leather Prussian undies from 'Frederick's of Dusseldorf' talking.

-Westy

:)

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
Good idea mandoble, deffinately on the right track. As keiran stated i think it could use some elaborating.

Although it would discourage the pilots who have troubles landing 2 kills let a lone 5 or 10. Those same pilots are the ones who do the suicidal things that i stated before, so i doubt it would accomplish much in that area. It may actualy promote those acts.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
... need some adjustment? ... some elaborating?? Are you two refering to the mandatory rule of dont count kills in spit for the streaks??   :D

Kieran, always the same dissagree point... ..."invincibility" doesnt mean efficiency. If you look for efficiency in a 190, then you'll be very very beatable, if you dont, then your 190 will be mainly ignored by the enemies.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
Maybe, but I feel like I am totally in control of the fight (and I am). Save that WEP for trouble, don't spin in the dirt with an La-7 and what can hurt you? Another D-9?

I was in for a short time last night. I knocked the wings off several planes (though the inevitable "chase it spinning to the earth, put some shells into it all the way" crew got a few of those from me. I didn't get a single shell put into me- not one. Went from 20K or so down to sea level. Shot out from a capped base, gathered some speed and was good to go. Fought with the carrier force, in and out of the ack, down and dirty with the Spits <shudder> and F6F's. Even merged with some F4U's and miraculously avoided the HO's (slow roll). Kicked in the WEP, used the vertical, and the hawgs ran. When a Spit pointed at me I fled, when they turned I came back and blasted.

It was a blast, and I think I will fly it for a while- forgot how good it is. Damn, that thing really ought to be perked...

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran:
Damn, that thing really ought to be perked...

Like I been sayin' all along... La7, Pee51D, 190D9 and 109G10... perk them bad boys. We've got more '42-'43 aircraft than we do '44-'45. Perk them bad boys and suddenly certain aircraft become that much more appealing.
-SW

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2001, 01:34:00 PM »
And to make a symantic point, of course invincible can mean "unbeatable", meaning the plane cannot be beaten. You may avoid it, but you will find it hard to kill. You're frustrated you can't kill fast in it? Find the biggest furball you can and zoom through it several times. Don't turn, just hit-and-run. Don't give an La-7 and angle to chase you and there is nothing in the arena that will catch you on the flat, and the stuff that does may be sorry it did.