Author Topic: China executes Official for bribes  (Read 839 times)

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
China executes Official for bribes
« on: February 12, 2004, 08:21:36 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/02/12/china040212

Finally the answer to Canada's Political Problems :)
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 08:39:38 AM »
So, theft punishable by death is okay in your book?

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 08:47:39 AM »
Not really. Something does really have to be done about the rampant corruption in poiticians tho.
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 08:48:31 AM »
Sure would seem to nail repeat offenes...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ping
Not really. Something does really have to be done about the rampant corruption in poiticians tho.

Agreed.

But lets question why China chooses to use an iron fist? I mean, we use capital punishment for a person who commits pre-meditated aggravated 1st degree murdered, but why theft?

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 08:58:18 AM »
What I have been led to believe is that China always tended to go towards extremes with judicial punishments. I know nothing of this case other than the link I posted.
 There may be more to this then we are reading.
Other than that if its just theft then I would go for complete re-imbursement and incarceration.
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »
Imagine what our political landscape would be like if we did the same thing here...

:D

Hmmm... maybe thats an idea!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 12:03:07 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Erm Taking bribes isn't theft - it's corruption.

The Chinese government has been taking a harder and harder line on officials indulging in corruption - which is fairly rampant, and growing worse since economic growth went turbocharged and there's big money floating around.

This execution is probably "killing the chicken to frighten the monkey" as the phrase goes: an exemplary harsh punishment, to scare other officials into stopping their corrupt activities.

But there again we don't know what the bribes were for, so it's all a bit speculative. The bribes may have been to look the other way or help out while someone smuggles drugs or guns, starts up a child prostitution ring, kills a rival, does some mob deals, or whatever - we really don't know. So it maybe the death penalty is for what the bribes were for rather than the bribes themselves.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 01:58:19 PM »
I almost have to wonder what they did to get him to confess to a crime punishable by death.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »
So what you are saying is: The high moral ground in Canada belongs to the highest bidder????

JK

:p ;)
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 05:41:13 PM »

Thats what happens when you don't give your boss a cut of the action.

Offline Stoned Gecko

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »
I think taking bribes is treason, not just theft. When a politician uses his/her office position for a personal gain at the expense of public wellfare, that person is betraying his/her country and deserves to be executed ... preferebly with the dullest ax that can be found.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 12:15:42 PM »
I am in favor of capital punishment for government officials convicted of soliciting or accepting bribes.

My feelings are also that a government official accepting a bribe is about more than just a small simple financial crime, it's about a breakdown of a society, a governement and a loss of integrity in a system.  The implications and results are huge in the overall scheme of  things.

This is a situation where knowledge of the punishment should and would certainly act as a deterant.  For those stupid enough, greedy enough, or arrogant enough to accpet a bribe knowing the risk, their death would improve the gene pool anyway.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Nakhui

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 02:54:54 PM »

I'm in favor of death for theft, liars, child molestation and murderers.  It's time for a kinder, gentler, world!