Author Topic: What kind of man....  (Read 348 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
What kind of man....
« on: February 12, 2004, 10:11:33 AM »
What kind of man would do such a thing?  At Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington DC recently the Sergeant Major of the Army, Jack Tilley, was with a group of people visiting the wounded soldiers. He saw a Special Forces soldier who had lost his right hand and suffered severe wounds of his face and side of his body. The SMA wanted to honor him and show him respect without offending, but what can you say or do in such a situation that will encourage and uplift? How do you shake the right hand of a soldier who has none? He decided to act as though the hand was not missing and gripped the soldiers wrist while speaking words of comfort and encouragement to him.

But there was another man in that group of visitors who had even brought his wife with him to visit the wounded who knew exactly what to do. This man reverently took the soldiers stump of a hand in both of his hands, bowed at the bedside and prayed for him. When he finished the prayer he stood up, bent over the soldier and kissed him on the head and told him that he loved him. What a powerful expression of love for one of our wounded heroes! And what a beautiful Christ-like example! What kind of a man would do such a
thing ?

It was the wounded man's Commander-in-Chief, George W. Bush; President of the United States.

This story was told by the SMA at a Soldiers Breakfast held at Red
Arsenal, AL, and recorded by Chaplain James Henderson, stationed there.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 10:18:24 AM »
The kind of man who is the subject of embellishment?

Snopes-ified.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:18:25 AM »

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 10:46:41 AM »
So it should read like this then....

For the past several months the Sergeant Major of the Army has been speaking to groups about his visits to Walter Reed Army Medical Center and other military hospitals to see soldiers injured in Afghanistan and Iraq. The story involves the SMA and a visit by the President of the United States. The SMA and the President have never visited soldiers at the hospital together. The SMA's story of President Bush's visit to one particular soldier was relayed to him by one of the Special Forces soldiers in the hospital that day.

On one visit he spoke to a young special forces soldier who lost his hand in an accident involving a rocket-propelled grenade launcher. As he was leaving, the soldier stuck his limb to the SMA and SMA Tilley gingerly shook the bandages to not injure him further. He presented him a coin and said "God Bless You."

The same soldier was visited several days later by the President, who was awarding medals to many of the wounded soldiers. The soldier stuck his limb up to the President as he was leaving, and President Bush cupped his limb with both hands and said "God Bless You." He then knelt down and kissed him on the forehead.

The story that is spreading around the internet is a well-woven embellishment of the SMA's story.

shrecking email potatos... I tell yas...

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 10:50:55 AM »
It's so easy to spot nonsense and embellishment that I'm amazed people continue to post stories like this one.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 11:15:19 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
It's so easy to spot nonsense and embellishment that I'm amazed people continue to post stories like this one.

-- Todd/Leviathn

:rofl

Yeah, I forgot, you are perfect

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 11:24:13 AM »
IF you email Bill Gates he will send you $10,000 free... Trust me its real :)

IKON The Fisherman

Offline majic

• Silver Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 09:35:02 PM »
Originally posted by 1K0N
IF you email Bill Gates he will send you $10,000 free... Trust me its real :)

IKON The Fisherman

That was the first email chain letter I ever received.  Ahh memories...

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 09:44:53 PM »
By now, these kind of emails have a formulaic style that one should know they are fake:

1.Start with a Question
2. Anecdotal Story
3. Question
4. Call to God
5. Question of Opposing Side
6. Revelation that the "Mystery Super Man" was actually *gasp* *insert person that supports agenda*
7. Threat to send to others to pass the word so that Opposing Side will not prevail!
8. Random Advertisement

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
What kind of man....
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 04:37:51 AM »
<-- reaches for the kleenex...

:rolleyes:

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
What kind of man....
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 04:48:08 AM »
Something that seriously describes someone as Christ-like can be taken as bollocks.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.