Author Topic: Stick Scaling  (Read 1155 times)

Offline MrWulf

• Zinc Member
Stick Scaling
« on: February 13, 2004, 12:38:27 PM »
Been messing around in the DA as of late, and have noticed some guys get over the top of loops and flat turns way faster than I do.
Seems Im still in a blackout and they are shooting my wings off.
Are they messing with stick scaling or video settings? I dont undrstand how they can get around so fast?  And ideas or tips I can use?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 12:46:59 PM »
First, don't go into the blackout situation. Get as close to it as you can and ride the tunnelvision part but avoid blackouts at all costs.
If you continue blackout conditions you kind of 'pass out' and wont be able to do anything control wise, it's like you fell asleep at the wheel and in that time they are still manuvering. You come out of it and 9 of 10 times the bandit is in a firing position.
I don't think scaling or vid settings effect any of that but scaling 'might' be able to let you ride the tunnelvision better.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline MrWulf

• Zinc Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 01:53:01 PM »
Hi Fuze, Im guessing you have never  dueled the likes of Sniper, Morpheus, or Nomak. These guys all get around or over the top so fast, I cant even get my nose pointed at them let alone squeeze the trigger.
And Im not into a total blackout situation...I yank hard to get around fast, then let off so I can see where Im heading, and Ive tried everything i can think of  ie: manual trim, flaps, chopping throttle at top of loops, nothing seems to work. Hence, Im wondering if its in the scaling, or vid settings that they can ride a blackout easier than myself. Be nice if one of the above 3 mentioned responds to this.;)

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »
stick setting help some i think, make it more responsive.  i have mine set all at the top except the last 2 columns on the right(deadband and something else) all the way on the bottom.  ive changed all those for roll, rudder and i think its pitch(the last one).  also, try killin throttle about 1k out from initial merge and when you pull back for loop full throttle again.  well something like that, throttle control plays big part.
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 02:15:54 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
stick setting help some i think, make it more responsive.  i have mine set all at the top except the last 2 columns on the right(deadband and something else) all the way on the bottom.  ive changed all those for roll, rudder and i think its pitch(the last one).  also, try killin throttle about 1k out from initial merge and when you pull back for loop full throttle again.  well something like that, throttle control plays big part.
~S~

Same settings i showed you right kill?

ORIGINALLY posted by MrWulfAnd Im not into a total blackout situation...I yank hard to get around fast, then let off so I can see where Im heading, and Ive tried everything i can think of ie: manual trim, flaps, chopping throttle at top of loops, nothing seems to work.

Well maybe your problem is that they ARE in a total blackout situation?  If their beating you at the merge then that means they are cutting their throttle BEFORE the merge to increase the turn radius upon the merge.  Why not cut your throttle to 0% and throttle back to 100% when you meet nose to nose?  Thats what their doing,  because ive fought all 3 of the ones you mentioned.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 02:46:06 PM »
MrWulf...

Stick Scaling is less than 1% of the issue here...if your settings are such that you can't ride the "edge" then you'll need to change them...however whats happening to you has nothing to with scaling. "Dueling" is a seperate artform altogether and your being cutup by some skilled angles fighters. I'm guessing your carrying to much speed for the manuever at hand. how much are you "working the throttle" and "cross controlling the plane". The 2 primary moves you'll see are the throttle chop and "rudder slap". Both will enable you to get your nose over faster. I'd also be curious if your losing the merge or not...?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Stick Scaling
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 03:33:05 PM »
Listen to Wldthing...he knows of what he speaks.

I dueled Nomak a couple of weeks ago.  We must have gone at each other 7 or 8 times.  I pulled the trigger...once....and missed.  He doesn't miss...ever.

The time I did manage to pull the trigger was after some merge advice from him...EXACTLY what Wldthing said above.

One way to combat this though is to not try and yank hard and keep your e-state as high as possible.  If your opponent has chopped throttle and yanked you can outclimb him and almost rope him.  Alternatively you can double immelman and get the same result.  You better judge it right against the guys already mentioned here though....'cause they are fantastic shots.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 04:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Listen to Wldthing...he knows of what he speaks.

I dueled Nomak a couple of weeks ago.  We must have gone at each other 7 or 8 times.  I pulled the trigger...once....and missed.  He doesn't miss...ever.

The time I did manage to pull the trigger was after some merge advice from him...EXACTLY what Wldthing said above.

One way to combat this though is to not try and yank hard and keep your e-state as high as possible.  If your opponent has chopped throttle and yanked you can outclimb him and almost rope him.  Alternatively you can double immelman and get the same result.  You better judge it right against the guys already mentioned here though....'cause they are fantastic shots.

It's what happens when i tell people all my secrets :D :D
And yes thats exactly right,  if he gets inside your turn on the merge,  you better hit the double immel right there and then,  cause he will have the upperhand on the next 2-3 turns you try to attempt.  And you usually only need or two snapshots to kill.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 04:00:58 PM »
yes Wld, the same.  ;)   and i said the throttle thing too, i learned it from Wld.  :D
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 04:04:57 PM »
yes Wld, the same.  ;)   and i said the throttle thing too, i learned it from Wld.  :D
~S~

Aye.. Sounded Similar,  my stick setup is very bouncy as kill probebly knows,  but it gives ultimate stick responsivness.  But its almost impossible to gun in a B-17 or shoot in any GV.  I've used it for 3 years now and best scaling ever, for my taste of course.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 05:09:08 PM »
Can't ever remember fighting those three. WT and I occasionally meet during KOTH. Needless to say he's won many and I'm still  looking for my first match win :)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline MrWulf

• Zinc Member
Stick Scaling
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 05:28:55 PM »
Thnx guys..usefull info..I hope, havent tried it yet.
As I said, I wasnt chopping throttle till near top of loop, and my stick is scaled to defaults....seems I can get a decent shot if I go into a flat turn at the merge then go vertical, but if I miss the shot they are all over me.

If any of you care to school me in DA and give me tips Id be very grateful.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Stick Scaling
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 12:12:14 AM »
stick setting help some i think, make it more responsive.  i have mine set all at the top except the last 2 columns on the right(deadband and something else) all the way on the bottom.  ive changed all those for roll, rudder and i think its pitch(the last one).  
~S~

deadband and damping

I have these very near the bottom on all axis. It does help you ride the edge of the blackout and keep (hopefully) your eye on them if they change their plain of flight.

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
rudder slap?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 12:49:27 AM »
I'm showing my ignorance here...but what exactly is "rudder slap"

Zaphod

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: rudder slap?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 08:52:55 AM »
Originally posted by Zaphod
I'm showing my ignorance here...but what exactly is "rudder slap"

Zaphod

kicking rudder in hard to help slow plane and swing nose around faster

the issue described here is one of excessive speed causing your radius to go too wide, slower, than the slower moving, tighter turning fellows u r dueling...with you pulling 2 hard trying to come around causing ur blackout

learned that the hard way myself :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder