Author Topic: tank hardness  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
tank hardness
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »
Revvin,
I'd consider it the same as someone in an A/C that has had  his guns disabled, but is able to fly home after leaving the area.  Except Tanks have no alternative like a Runstand does, so at least give him an alternative...stay and fight, or, if you have no guns, give him the option of 'fleeing' like A/C do.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
tank hardness
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2000, 10:53:00 AM »
Perhaps I did not explain properly when I mentioned 'honour' of course in RL as you rightly point out Badger there is no honour in dying for no reason, in that example you gave I'd rather bail than die with honour, only a Klingon would respect that  

What I meant by my comment was that Westy has honour for the 'game' ie he knows it only a game, not life or death but honours his assailant by letting the guy kill him and get rewarded with the kill instead of .esquealing and stealing the pilots chance of finishing him for the kill. You never know that pilot might auger into the ground next to you trying to make a second pass in which case you can both have a bloody good laugh over it   With Aces High being flat rate its not costing the likes of Westy to sit there and await his death unless of course there is nobody around to finsih him and then nobody would expect him to sit there for 4 hours in the vain hope somebody might see him  

Of course with the current system Westy would have to wait for the pilot to kill him to give that pilot the kill but what would be better is if as soon as the driver .ef'ed then the pilot would get the kill. Or perhaps you would rather bail and run across the terrain and let the pilot straffe you and kill you outright?   Perhaps we could have jeeps and other halftracks that could pick up stranded airmen and drivers who have bailed and take them home safe, perhaps have a radius in which if the airman/driver bails and there is not a friendly airfield within 2 miles or whatever distance you feel fair then unless he gets picked up he's counted as being captured by the enemy and the kill given to the pilot that shot him down.

Rip>  
Except Tanks have no alternative like a Runstand does
Yes but you chose the tank, by choosing that ride you chose how you would navigate the map. If I had a mustang then sure I wouldturn for home if my guns were disabled and try and land safely, however it was my undercarriage and flaps etc shot to bit and I crashed trying to land that Mustang then I would expect to give the kill to the pilot that did the damage in the same way that if he shot my wing off inflight I would also expect him to get the kill when I bailed.

------------------
Revvin
249 Squadron RAF
Tangmere Wing

[This message has been edited by Revvin (edited 05-01-2000).]

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

tank hardness
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2000, 12:56:00 PM »
I think we do need a bail option for tanks, if not at an airfield or vehicle base.  Face it, it is a mission kill at the least.  
BTW, I think the damage that a panzer takes at the moment is about right.  .50cal's would have to be at very close range to damage even a Mk IV.  and I have had the odd turret or track hit from .50's.  The F4u-C Apache gunship however makes very short work of them  

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook
332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Greg 'wmutt' Cook (edited 05-01-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
tank hardness
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2000, 01:14:00 PM »
One more thing about tanks...has  anyone ever actually driven one back to the depot for "full points" award? In other words, one only gets 1/3 credit everytime he takes a tank out for any points they accumulate.  *if* these we're on the scoring website, it would read "Captured" on every mission for  me, I don't want to take another 25 min. to RTB. I've never returned a tank to base and haven't met anyone who has, takes too long.  Every mission a tanker has usually ends in two methods: Capture or death.

Tanks are already at a disadvantage, if anything, they need more of an adavantage or they will be history in 6 months or less.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-01-2000).]

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
tank hardness
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
Another thing about tanks and RTBing..The only place I've been able to "Land" a tank was on the runway.. everywhere else says I ditched.

Why would I drive all the way back just to see I ditched?

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.