Author Topic: spit5 stall unrecoverable?  (Read 577 times)

Offline Orig

• Copper Member
spit5 stall unrecoverable?
« on: February 21, 2004, 04:20:54 PM »
Sorry if this is a repeat or not what HTC is looking for in a bug report.

If I fly spit5 with half fuel load and pull plane into a hard stall with a little bit of rudder, the plane falls straight to the ground in an unrecoverable stall.  Full forward stick or other recovery procedures do not work at all.  Sometimes it falls straight backwards in a slightly oscillating tailslide, sometimes it falls straight down in a level flat attitude, slightly oscillating.  Power settings don't fix anything.  The plane can be induced into a spin from this deep stall but even if not spinning it seems to be unrecoverable.

Looking outside shows that all flight controls work correctly in accordance with stick position while falling straight down.

Again, apologies if this is a repeat or not an area of interest.

Version - 15 (latest as of 2/20/04)
vid card - GF4-4200
Sticks - saitek x36 stick/throttle combo, ch rudders

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 05:11:20 PM »
It just means that physics apply to Spits in AH2.

I've tried near 0mph verticals and hard-stalling in all the aircraft introduced in the beta so far. All of them can fall into flat spins, or spins that require more than just a squirming around for 5 seconds - when the stalls are aggravated.

However, during straight verticals, planes that used to automatically fall into a flat spin when the vertical maneuver was kept for too long, can now easily go up till the speed reaches like 10 mph, and still nose down properly. Only the P-38s could do that in AH1. All other planes needed to save some 70~100mph margin of speed before the reversal, or it falls into a flat spin. Well, not anymore in AH2.

Offline Orig

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 05:33:56 PM »
I'm not talking about a straight-up vertical stall.  I'm talking about flying straight and level at about 130 knots, then pulling stick back sharply and maybe adding a little rudder.  The plane begins to fall straight down.  This falling bit continues even after any spinning is halted by stall/spin recovery techniques, and the fall may occur in various attitudes such as flat/level, tail first, tilted one wing down, etc.

As for "squirming around for 5 seconds", I have repeated this test from 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, and 10,000 ft and with various fuel loads, 3 different "real world" stall/spin recovery techniques, the spin recovery technique that is hard-coded into AH1, dropping gear/flaps, and several other techniques, and none seem to work.

Real life physics do not cause most conventinally configured, dynamically stable aircraft (like those in use during WWII) to fall into a "falling leaf" deep stall straight down.

If it's a feature and not a bug, then I suppose people better not stall the spit5 in the game.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 05:48:59 PM »
I've only stalled the Spit9 in AH2 and I couldn't recover it.  I went up vertical till stall and just fell back down backwards - the fact that you have this heavy engine in the nose didn't do anything.  I tried all the usual manouvres to get out of the stall but by the time I started getting the plane remotely near nose down I had run out of altitude - I had fallen about 7000ft. Very different to AH1.  I guess you could describe it as a flat spin, but coming down backwards until level which was then a flat spin before getting the nose slightly lower (if that makes sense!) :).
NEXX

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 12:38:04 AM »
I know what you speak of.

What I'm trying to say is, the two factors are inter-related.

I could enter a flat spin in P-51s or the G-10s, 190s etc.. if the reversal process during verticals were done incorrectly. Typically, a wrong reversal would be a plane starting to nose over in a "diagonal" direction, effected by both weight and torque.

However, as long as the reversal is done correctly, I can go staright up to as low as 10mph, and still recover control immediately after the nose-over.

Much the same, the stalls during level flight can be aggravated into deadly spins in AH2 - in all planes.

Particularly a Spit pilot used to AH1 would be surprised, as it would feel as if the stalls are a lot more harsher to their plane in AH2 than AH1(which, in fact, is). Another thing I've noticed, was that a spin/stall entered during a right hand turn, had a higher tendency to develop into a dangerous spin when not immediately recovered in the entering phase.

However, having tested all the planes in stall behaviors in all the betas, I really don't see any unreasonable difference in the Spitfires of Beta15.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 02:59:38 AM »
Hint: Turn your engine off. Even at idle the propwash is holding your wings up.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."