Author Topic: Night Reaper Hurricane MKIIc  (Read 584 times)

Offline xFURYx

• Zinc Member
      • spitfire@dyfedboatservices
Night Reaper Hurricane MKIIc
« on: February 29, 2004, 07:26:04 AM »
just finished the Night reaper of No1 Sqn RAF
flown by Karel Kuttelwascher DFC 1942
JX:E BE581

this is the matt black version and i am currently skinning the lighter version

xZEROx

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 08:56:51 AM »
I never knew that 1 (F) Sqn flew the night fighter version?

As for Karel Kuttelwascher (started off as a Flt Sgt, later to be Flt Lt with 1 Sqn), he is the most probable pilot of the Hurricane IIC that we already have in AH.  I researched the original operations records at 1(F) Sqn late last year.
NEXX

Offline xFURYx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 01:30:42 PM »
At the time of its intruder operations, No. 1 Squadron was equipped with the Hawker Hurricane IIC. This mark entered service in the late spring of 1941 and, of all Hurricane versions, it was the one built in greatest numbers. This Hurricane was powered by a Rolls Royce Merlin XX engine and it had a maximum speed of about 330 miles per hour.

There were three features which particularly distinguished intruder Hurricanes from the ones flown by the Squadron in the Battle of Britain and later: armament, fuel and colour.

The IIC was fitted with four 20 mm Hispano cannon, two in either wing, in place of the 8 or 12 Browning machine guns on earlier marks, so there was much more power in the punch. However, each of the four cannon had only 91 rounds which was merely enough for about nine seconds firing. So every second had to count and, in Kut's case, it most certainly did.

The intruder missions over the continent required plenty of fuel and so No. 1 Squadron's Hurricane lICs were fitted with two 45 gallon drop tanks, one under each wing. This took the total fuel load to 184 gallons which, at a normal consumption rate, provided a range of some 900 miles enabling an operation of 3-3.5 hours.

The intruder Hurricanes did not have the normal green and grey camouflage scheme. Instead they were painted matt black all over in order to make it harder to detect them in the night sky. This matt finish tended to increase drag and therefore reduce top speed, but the intruder - unlike the interceptor - depended more on concealment than speed.

Kut's particular Hurricane had the RAF code JX:E - the designation of his aircraft since June 1941 - and the manufacturer's serial number BE 581. According to many accounts, an emblem was painted on the starboard side of the engine cowling. It depicted a scythe in yellow and across it a banner in red carrying the name "Night Reaper", a gruesome image which reflected the Czech's acute sense of vengeance.

No. 1 Squadron's night intruder operations started on the night of 1 April 1942, appropriately enough the official birthday of the Royal Air Force. The timing was no coincidence: the moon was at its fullest and brightest. For Kut at least, it was a baptism of fire.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 02:06:52 PM »
Yeah, I know the differences of the Hurricane, just wasn't familiar with the black colour scheme (used by 1 Sqn).

Plane codes/markings weren't always piloted by the same person - it was simply from a pool of aircraft.  Pilots would try to use the same aircraft but it didn't always work out that way.  If I have time I can look in the diaries at 1 Sqn and find out all the pilots who flew BE581.

JX-E would have been Kuttlewascher's plane upon his promotion to both Flt Lt and a Flight Commander with 1 Sqn.

Here's some info I found out about the daytime camoflaged 1 Sqn AH Hurricane IIC (JX-B, BD-150):-

Ok, today I went to visit 1 (Fighter) Squadron which is less than 100 metres from where I work. I managed to search through the war diaries and sorties record book and finally found the information after about an hour!! Definitely some interesting reading to be done! The current Officer Commanding 1 (F) Sqn even came out to see what I was up to!  

Now, the problem is that sorties were listed to airframe serial number and not by squadron code.... The Hurricane IIC we have in AH (JX-B) has the serial number of BD-150.

FS Kuttlewascher (Czech) flew this mostly in late 1941/early 1942. He late became a Flt Lt and flight leader with 1 Sqn.

After then it was used by about five different pilots taking turns to use it. The two that used it the most are:-

Plt Off Corbett and Flt Sgt Pearson (promoted from Sgt to Flt Sgt during 1942). This was between Mar 1942-Jul 1942 and whilst at Tangmere. What probably happened is that if one pilot returned and they had to up the aircraft again they may have used the other pilot. Just a thought!

So...

Hurricane IIC - 1 (F) Sqn, Tangmere '42 - Plt Off Corbett & Flt Sgt Pearson.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 02:08:59 PM by Replicant »
NEXX

Offline xFURYx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 04:43:05 PM »
some excellent information there mate....ill show you the day camo when ive finished it..should be done by tomorrow