Author Topic: Landing the F4U?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 11:31:17 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
Geee madjoe you still don't get it.

There are two acceptable ways to land a tail wheel

I have a lot of hours in real life tail draggers; And as mentioned there are 2 ways to do it. The easiest (and it isn't as easy as landing a tricycle gear airplane) is to plop and roll. Get all three on the ground. After you get the hang of it the "cooler" looking way is to grease it on the runway on the main gears and make it look easy. I was lucky enough to learn taildraggers from a WW2 vet. He was insistant on landing the thing on 2 wheels and keepimg the feet moving. The reason air show pilots land on ther mains only is because they can! Then there are thjose who can land on the left main, switch to right main, place both down, then place the tail down. Because they can! BTW it is much harder in AH to land a taildragger of any sort than to land say a P-38.
Pillur

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2004, 01:11:39 PM »
This also reinforces the fact that there is more than one way to do something in AH. Landing, like bombing, can be successfully done in more than one way. There is no 'This is the way to do it' it's more of 'This is the way I do it' .
You have to try different methods and find one that works for you.
If Plan A isn't working... try plan B
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2004, 05:23:25 PM »
Originally posted by fuze
This also reinforces the fact that there is more than one way to do something in AH. Landing, like bombing, can be successfully done in more than one way. There is no 'This is the way to do it' it's more of 'This is the way I do it' .
You have to try different methods and find one that works for you.
If Plan A isn't working... try plan B

suicide bombing in lancasters IS NOT the way to do it.......i dont care what you say :p
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2004, 05:47:59 PM »
I agree 100% Overlag. Some exploit anything in the game... I try to get better at the way is 'should' be done. 'Should' meaning trying to do it the way it was done in reality or the way the simulation wants it done. I will never... repeat NEVER do a suicide run in bombers to kill the cv. I take my fuzeforts up to 10k and level bomb it through the bombsight. Of course I'm human... and I do kamakazee them occasionally in a jabo.
[ Scratches his head and wonders...] how does a Ju88 torpedo run with almost certain death after the drop compare to kamakazee Lancasters??
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhSHADDUPfu zeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
So many words when a film would do!
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2004, 04:13:16 AM »
I've had plenty of F4U groundloops. I could never work out what was going wrong. Sometimes aileron against the GL would work.

I think the tendency is for us to rush the landings. We're about to get vulched by an incoming swarm, so we hurry the landing.

When there are no cons around, you can take your time. I made this landing last night. I don't think I could do a better one.

Film of F4U landing - view in external view mode.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2004, 07:05:48 AM »
Err, I rely solely on the left and right brakes.  I can stop the plane in a short distance without doing anything wild.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2004, 05:32:39 PM »
so what do you do when you lose your rudder in combat and have to land
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2004, 07:31:17 PM »
bail out..... or fly to a cv.........or land without gear...
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2004, 09:43:43 PM »
Belly landing in a pinch is a great option. It still manages to ground loop (and somehow overcomes a hell of a lot of friction from all that metal twisted in bunches on the runway), but you stop real quick.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 09:47:55 PM by opus »

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2004, 10:35:35 PM »
Rudders?

It may interest you to know that I have worn my twisty stick out again, and have not had rudder control for the last 6 weeks or so.

I have had to disable it, else it spikes like crazy.

The landing procedure I described above was borne from the need to land succesfully without rudder. Having been down this road with rudder control  3 times prior to this, I seem to have become quite adept at flying without it. Albeit I tend to do better with rudder versus without, however it doesn't impact my ability to land the F4U consistently.

But, I am a dweeb afterall. hehe

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline sb1086

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2004, 06:57:37 PM »
Landing a F4U on land is easy, first, reduce speed to between 100 and 110 tas, 1/4 flaps, approcah runway atthis speed lowering gear, then when on final use 1/2 flaps, maintain 100 mph, at 500-1000 feet from runway, go to full flap, maintain 90-100 mph, when the wheels touch the runway, rollout to below 50 mph, then apply wheel barkes slowley to a stop, use left and right brake for steering, useing rudder will cause a spinout

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2004, 08:36:12 PM »
Just go watch the videos for the F4U's at Zenos. It tells ya exactly how to take off and land.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/F4U.html

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2004, 11:15:27 PM »
I think you need to toggle combat trim off also. I''ve been experimenting with EXTREMELY slow landings and burrying the tail wheel. It still flips arround, but stops on a dime ( and loses no pieces). With the combat trim off, it doesn't flip arround. At this point, its just a matter of making a pretty landing. I think I have the hang of keeping it in one piece for a hot pad.

Offline sb1086

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2004, 06:56:26 PM »
Combat trim should be off at all times anyway, useing manual delivers more precise performance.

Offline sb1086

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Landing the F4U?
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2004, 07:32:14 PM »
Hey wolf, thanks for the site with the vids man, Pretty sweet place to sit back and relax, witha bowl of popcorn :)