Author Topic: Questions regarding the La-5  (Read 260 times)

Offline -cman-

• Zinc Member
      • http://cman.digitalmechanics.cx
Questions regarding the La-5
« on: December 24, 1999, 03:12:00 PM »
Got a couple of questions about my favorite ride. Perhaps a couple other afficianados can help me puzzle them out.

Gunnery: I notice the SHVAK shells drop off a LOT if I am pulling any G's at all.  The only thing that helps me is the bug in the art the lets me see hits through the firewall.    If I am pulling any lead at all seems like I am shooting with my gunsight way over the target with only the top bit of the icon visible over the cowl.  Any pointers here?

Defense: Nothing runs like the Lavochkin (thank God) but haven't had much luck reversing on an opponent.  Usually just Python out of there -- Run Away! Anyone had any luck with the scissors?  I always seem to stall it out.

Any squads or general La-5 fans flying regular times?  Would love to get a group toghether and raise cain.  Seems like the only plane less popular is the C.202. Gotta stay loyal to the DoD but would be glad to hang with some VVS if they'd have me.

Waiting patiently for Sturmovik and land targets for full effect of Soviet Frontal Aviation tactics.  

Don't tell anyone.  It's our secret.

Doh!

------------------
-cman-
The Dweebs of Death
"Death before dishonor,
often just moments
before."

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 1999, 06:59:00 PM »
-cman-,
The ShVAKs do drop off a bit, but if you stay within 200m, then its not too bad.  Also, stay within 200m and the damage is more lethal.

I have a reverse move that I will teach you if you're up when I am.  It is quite effective, and only popped in my head because the nikis were getting the better of me at first, and I had to find something that would stop them.

We'd be happy to add you to the ranks of 129 IAP, and we almost exclusively fly La-5FN.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 1999, 01:02:00 AM »
Yes, Shvak have an incredible dispersion, laterally and horizontally. Your best bet is to keep your convergence below 300 yds and walk your tracers into a target with snap shots.

Also, my personal advice: SHvak drop quite a bit, so best method by far is to avoid high G deflection shots like the plague. Until you get a few tricks on how to do them keep your oppenents moving until you can get the 6 shot you want. In fact, your SHvak have such low muzzle velocity I wouldn't reccomend much deflection shot at all.
 Scissors: Easily done, remember to keep changing position and pulling. Sustained turns bleed E well, play the piccilo with your throttle to keep flying level while slowing down. DON'T do this against a Nik1 or Spitfire. Both will pick you apart easily and laugh at you. Don't reccomend against P51 either, until full FM comes out they are not suffering low speed stall much and can still hang on and pick you off.

And a final note I learned from Leonid, that can easily apply to all. Learn how to dogfight when your starting. Fly the plane with flaps down a notch, manage throttle, scissor, turnfight and learn the tricks to setup low G deflection shots.
 Then always grab altitude, fight vertical and never use it unless you NEED to!

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.