Author Topic: You really have to wonder...  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
You really have to wonder...
« on: April 08, 2004, 11:43:21 PM »
I was reading this article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/04/08/iraq.main/index.html

and the sad thing that struck me was that the photographer cared of one thing... the shrecking story.  Never mind that the man (prolly a countryman) life is on the line, and yer sad arse is taking a picture.  I regress a bit, I remember these same salamanders, taking pictures of our dead, telling them to stop (they continued) and I also remember taking their cameras and smashing them... it is sad, that a living is made off others misery, especially those that are willing to lay it all on the line.  I salute the soldiers in arms around our glode and send a handy #1 to all you cameramen the world over, may you die a slow lingering death.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline bullett308

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 11:54:21 PM »
What he said.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 11:01:48 AM »
Amen brudda!
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 11:42:55 AM »
wrong forum

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 12:31:18 PM »
For once Beetle is right, :D This is OClub Material,

Personally I would rather a gun than a camera, but that is what some have chosen.  I don't think they are there with the malice and contempt that you guys seem to espouse.

The camera man probably got his shots and then did help these guys out.

Why so much hatred toward these guys.  Without the cameramen you wouldn’t have anything to show of the hard work and hell these poor bastards that are doing the fighting are enduring.  I for one am great full that they are there to help share, document and witness what is going on.  If anything you should be pissed at Bush for sending our boys over there in the first place, but that is a different topic.

You guys love all the shots from WWII, who do you think took those photos, the tooth fairy.

On another note...

BTW Beet what was the email address I gave you ( I created it new that day), I forgot it and can't log in to see if you sent any films.  lol.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 12:34:54 PM »
Robert Capa

"If your pictures aren't good, you're not close enough."

nuff said

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 04:38:35 PM »
Wrong forum

Offline bullett308

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 04:42:38 PM »
Wrong BBS

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 06:34:24 PM »
I'm willing to bet that the soldiers don't expect help from reporters or cameramen. They are, after all, professionals.
sand

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 06:50:22 PM »
The soldiers have a job, and the photographers have a job. I like the idea of photographers getting involved in the fight as much as I like the idea of soldiers taking pictures.

They're in a war zone, and there are plenty of people all around them that could use a hand. Wouldn't have time to do their job. And I think it's an important one.

Think of all the images that have affected you, and would not exist if the photographers all had decided to drop their cameras and get involved.

They wouldn't even be in a position to help in the first place if it weren't for recording the event. But once there, they're expected to stop what they're doing and help? Might as well not even bring their cameras.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 06:55:03 PM »
Originally posted by Nash

They wouldn't even be in a position to help in the first place if it weren't for recording the event. But once there, they're expected to stop what they're doing and help? Might as well not even bring their cameras.

Now that is a hell of an idea. Perish the thought that a troops life is worth less than a picture. :rolleyes:
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 07:01:07 PM »
Snap! Nash. I was thinking exactly what you said when I scrolled down your post.

I've noticed that soldiers tend to get deified a bit on this board. As I understand it that in the west they are volunteers, so they know the risks and choose to take that job.

If they choose to take the job because it is protecting their country (or other people's countries) then, yes, that is something to applaud. But then we should applaud even more volunatry workers like the Red Cross, who go into war zones and have nothing to defend themselves at all.

Ravs

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 07:04:32 PM »
( To my friend Mav :) )

That didn't take long - was wondering who was going to be the 1st to say it is all.  :)

I ask you to imagine what it would be like for you to have zero clue about what is going on, anywhere in the world - with your only source being the government.

Because that's the logical extension of that sentiment.

Picture it:

Some general will hold a press conference, and say XYZ happened. And that's all you would ever know of it. He could say anything at all... and nobody would know any different.

WWII, Vietnam, the Gulf - You would have no idea what those things even looked like.

Just some talk of a thing called war.

Comfortable with that?

I swear, it's that dude in the movie on the top of Hamburger Hill's fault. :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 07:08:34 PM by Nash »

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 07:08:37 PM »
Remember that picture of the vietnamese child, running naked down a road and burning with napalm?

Or the picture of the US helicopter pilot being dragged through the streets of Somalia?

That one image can shape policy.

Ravs

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 07:17:40 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Now that is a hell of an idea. Perish the thought that a troops life is worth less than a picture. :rolleyes:

That made me think of something...

You say "perish the thought that a troop's life is worth less than a picture."

I think it's possible that one picture could end up saving 1000's of troop's lives. It's possible.

Yeah, ravells, I actually had that Vietnam picture in my mind when I was thinking about this.

But... photographers would suck as doctors, and would suck even worse as soldiers. So lets expect them to do both and leave the cameras at home. Wot?