Author Topic: killing bombers  (Read 725 times)

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
killing bombers
« on: April 16, 2004, 01:46:21 PM »
Okay you bomber killer experts, give it up!

Whats your secret?

I've been trying to get better, and have achieved some degree of success.

I've been trying the swooping pass from underneath with an extend past the wingtips of the formation and the dive across the wings, anything to stay off the 6 oclock tail position. I've also been trying to concentrate on the wingtips of the bombers as they seem to be the most vulnerable. Can't hit the tail reliably for some reason. Haven't tried cockpit shots enough yet, but I understand they are preferred as well. A flat or low turn into the side of the formation doesnt seem to work all that great as I just get a lot of fuselage hits which dont seem to do alot.

I'm surprised how hard it is for me to get the right lead on them. Yeah, I'm a terrible shot.

If you were diving at a 45 degree angle or climbing at a 135 degree angle to the formation at say 300 mph and the formation was doing about 160, how much would you lead? Say your distance is about 650, when you start hitting your guns. I think I'm leading too much.  

It's seems that your average gunner can't hit you very well if you are not floating around in the 6 spot somewhere, like most people seem to do. Of course, 999000 and tatertot are exceptions to this rule.

Offline RedDg

• Silver Member
killing bombers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 02:05:51 PM »
Straight down from a P47.  And I don't mean straight down so you end up on their 6.  Set all guns to 650 and pick a spot on the bomber (I prefer wingtips).  Speed @ 400-500 (with brakes extended for better control if available, and throttle idled).  

Work 1 or 2 bombers each pass and you'll soon have 3 easy kills.  Nothing dives like a jug, and coming in directly above them at that speed makes you very difficult to hit.  You'll also have plenty of energy to regain your starting position.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 02:34:14 PM by RedDg »

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
killing bombers
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 02:11:21 PM »
First and foremost, when attacking bombers, you need patience above all things.  That said, your next priority is getting into position above the bomber.  Pick your approach.  I prefer a steep approach from the buff's high 4 or 2 o'clock (or 8 or 10, same thing left side).  

Once your in position, make sure your speed is decent.  It can vary a lot from plane to plane, but in general I like to be above 300 TAS before I start my dive.  Manage your throttle while in your dive to avoid compression in certain planes (especially 109s).  

The higher your angle of approach is, the better off you'll be.  While a steep approach makes your gunnery slightly more difficult due to the target being under your nose for the majority of the time, it is indeed safer.  And again, keep your speed up, but do not compress.  Your goal is for a speedy attack in and out QUICKLY.  The more time you spend making a pass means more time for the gunners to track you.  

The range at which I open fire really depends on two things:  Your preference and the type of armament you're carrying.  If you're using taters in a 109, I prefer to open up at no more than 300 yards.  If I'm flying a F4U-1C, I'll open up at about 450 with a large lead on the target.  .50 caliber is a tight laser beam when fired at convergence.  I typically have my .50 caliber convergence set anywhere from 375 - 450.  A small burst of 6x .50 caliber at convergence will tear anything up.  

One important thing to remember when making a pass is to get IN and get OUT as fast as possible.  Guns on target for minimal amount of time.

Dont:
  • Keep your guns on target for more than 2-3 seconds.  Firing until the buff explodes is a bad idea.
  • Hang around the rear of the buff with low E
  • Compress
  • Initiate your attack in a low E state (ie, co-alt and same speed as buff)
  • Get shot :)
Attack the target quickly and deny him a decent firing solution.  Imagine you're in the gunner's position... which angles give you the most trouble?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 02:13:22 PM by Octavius »
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
killing bombers
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 02:35:46 PM »
Octavius:

Good stuff, I gotta start filming my runs against formations and reviewing, maybe I'm not leading enough. As big as a bomber wing is I'm surprised I'm not getting more hits.

68Devil:

Nice film for sure. I'm trying to avoid doing what TC does in that film, which is the classic mistake I'd say at least 75% of people do in the game. TC comes up almost level on 6, floats around then rolls out and down. A halfway decent gunner will tear an nme up on that approach.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
killing bombers
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 04:21:24 PM »
there front usually has the fewest guns pointed at it...b17s are a problem when it comes to this but since there nose turret doesnt have much downward movement attack from slightly below...

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
killing bombers
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 11:27:34 PM »
I use the 38 for killing Buff's in the following ways. If in a HO position <30 * crossing angle - I salvo my rockets into the form. 1 hit ususally takes out 2 and disables the 3rd. If top attack, same profile from 6 high with walking rockets upto the lead bomber.

Assuming u do not have rockets, aim for the wingtips and never stay straight and level.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
killing bombers
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 05:54:43 AM »
kj714 - some good tips here. B17s are lethal if there's a dedicated gunner on board. LANCs can be easier - no ball turret on a LANC. I've attached a couple of films, killing all three LANCs in a formation. In the F4U1D it was a desperate effort to prevent 68aces getting to the CV, so I broke every rule. The F6F films shows how you can come up from underneath a LANC, taking advantage of the absence of a ball turret gunner. Note - I find this very difficult to do. Pull up too early and you're dead. But if I can do it, so can you. I'm not highly skilled.

In AH, I always go for the leader of the formation first. And try to be sure to nobble the tail gunner. Then, as the pilot fumbles with his keyboard to transfer to his number 2 or 3, you have a few secs to whack those as well.

Oh yeah, please forgive my evil laugh - I always do that if I manage to nobble all three! :lol

Beet's buff kill films

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
killing bombers
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 06:32:18 AM »
I usually HO all Bombers.  The Luftwaffe di it, and I seem to have good luck doing it, ask 999000 :)

Lancs and 26's, also from underneath.  Theat is their weak point.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
killing bombers
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 09:22:30 AM »
The strategy I use depends on the type of buff I'm attacking.

B17s - High speed slashing dive attacks from 1-2 or 10-11oc, alternating back and forth until all ships are dead/on fire.  I prefer to aim for the cockpit or wingroot area.  Come almost straight down, this limits the guns shooting at you to the upper turrets, and possibly the waist gun on the ship on the far side of the formation.  Dive in, make a shot, and start the pull out/turn to reposition for your next attack.  The key to cracking 17s is patience, trying to force/salvage a bad angle will probably put you low, in the 17s 5-7oc and 500-800yds, which means a quick trip to tower.

B26s - Similar to the 17s in initial setup, though you want more lateral seperation than vertical seperation.  Come in from 10/2, using a dive to help build speed for setting up the follow on attack.  Leave your nose low until you're under the upper turret's field of fire.  Then pull up for the shot and continue through to set up for the next attack.

Ju88s - I use the same attack setup as 17s, though I don't worry about making the angle quite as steep.  Stay ahead of the 3-9 line, and remember there's a fixed, pilot controlled mg.

Lancs - Two methods for dealing with these, depending on the initial situation.  If I already have a nice altitude advantage I'll use the high slashing I use on 17s.  If I'm closer to the lanc's altitude I'll use low beam attacks.  Start in from about 1-2oc and get under the upper turret's line of fire.  The idea is for the lanc to cross your firing position with you at its 3oc.  I usually go for the wingroot area when using this attack.  This is also the only attack where I'll push the nose and pass the buff over my canopy after I fire.  The path for setting up for the next attack is easy to track from the upper turret if you pass above the lancs.

Bostons and the Japanese buffs (ki67?) I haven't really studied these like I have the ones above.  I usually just 'default' to the high slashing attack on these.

Fly the bombers, man the guns, learn thier weaknesses.  Then tailor your attacks to the buffs' weaknesses.

The high slash make a good "default" attack for any buff.  You could practice it to perfection and use it on any buff you come across.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
killing bombers
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 09:31:02 AM »
Tip : from above a high speed pass crossing their path from rear left to front right for example aiming at wingtip.

I usualy get at least 2 with this method and often all 3.

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
killing bombers
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 12:21:27 PM »
i cant speak for 999000 but our take usually is a guy who has patience and comes in from a angle lets say 2 to 7 oclock or 1 to 5  is gonna have a better chance to live although seems most like to try the 6 from underneath which in some rides work but if a guy knows his guns :D will be  a bad idea because usually least i can hit from tail then simply jump to the top or waste gun if i have one at the time. 999000 and myself are always a good vol to go to the da if ya like to film a couple of runs would help us out to i think.
THE NAME TATERTOT IS NOT FROM MY FAV FOOD !!!!!!

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
killing bombers
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 01:47:13 PM »
personally i come in from high to the side and aim for the wing tip or the back end, but when you got a lanc come in from anywhere but dead six and you should be fine.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: killing bombers
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »
Originally posted by kj714
Whats your secret?

why should i share? :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
beet1e
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 02:43:18 PM »
beet1e im gonna show 68aces that film for ya and i think ill create a new post. good job though!:aok