Author Topic: Well, the game I loved is dead and gone.  (Read 12321 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Well, the game I loved is dead and gone.
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2004, 04:01:30 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Lets see ...

You have been busy with work, so you haven't had the time or opportunity to play.

HTC has been buried in the development of AHII, yet you think that they should take time out of their work schedule to throw a couple of bones into AH I.

:confused:

First Slapshot .. let me tell you that I appreciate your arguments in this thread.  Let me further explain so that you don't have any :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I too spent about two years on the CM team and countless hours of my time on events.  I loved doing it and was happy to help out.

I realize that HTC is working hard at AH2, but for how long now?  If it was to take this long having one of the guys build a new plane or fresh terrain is not too out of the question.  Hell, we are still having to sub aircraft for events ...

As a player I have been around since early beta and have never unsubscribed.  But, as a customer I wonder what am I getting?  For the last year or more ... nothing new.  AH2 is finally coming along to the point where it is playable.

So...don't judge me on my comments and shrug them off please.  They are valid and as you have read, several players (here from the beginning) feel the same way.  It is finally nice to see the staff commenting and posting on the boards .. that too was a little strange compared to early on.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2004, 04:08:45 PM »
When Fester burned out, he built Oz.
When Urchin burned out, he whined.
When I burned out, I built the Barbiefire.

eskimo

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2004, 04:51:44 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
AW has nothing to do with it.
I agree. It was Warbirds. :p

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2004, 05:38:30 PM »
Originally posted by skernsk
First Slapshot .. let me tell you that I appreciate your arguments in this thread.  Let me further explain so that you don't have any :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I too spent about two years on the CM team and countless hours of my time on events.  I loved doing it and was happy to help out.

I realize that HTC is working hard at AH2, but for how long now?  If it was to take this long having one of the guys build a new plane or fresh terrain is not too out of the question.  Hell, we are still having to sub aircraft for events ...

As a player I have been around since early beta and have never unsubscribed.  But, as a customer I wonder what am I getting?  For the last year or more ... nothing new.  AH2 is finally coming along to the point where it is playable.

So...don't judge me on my comments and shrug them off please.  They are valid and as you have read, several players (here from the beginning) feel the same way.  It is finally nice to see the staff commenting and posting on the boards .. that too was a little strange compared to early on.

skernsk ...

I am not judging you .. nor was I shrugging you off .. I was just confused with the logic of you being busy and not having time to play, yet you can't/couldn't understand that HTC has been extremly busy developing AH II and had no time for AH I. Priorities ... you have yours, and HT has his, and you both have made the correct choice.

You say we/you haven't gotten anything "new" in the last year or more. AH II is the "new", and it came out in an open Beta release last September I believe, with 24 updates up to this point. I believe that you are looking under the wrong rock for your something "new".

When developing a brand spankin' new version of software, you cannot go back to the old and waste time or efforts on it unless there is a critical circumstance. It is not smart business logic to do that, in this business. If one could accept this process and be a little more patient, the end will justify the means.

I too am anxious for "new" stuff, but I know this business all too well am satisfied to wait it out. I don't think that HT and HTC will disappoint.

I am extremly disappointed in the online participation in the AH II arena ... we all should be spending more time in there so that HT can finish this off and they can get on to making other "new" stuff for us.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 05:41:40 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2004, 05:39:16 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I agree. It was Warbirds. :p

You are the goober of all goobers .. don't ever forget that.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2004, 07:03:41 PM »
You again make a good point in terms of AH2 participation.  I have not tried it in several versions due to my poor computing power.  I have a new computer being built and am anxious to try AH2 online with a decent system.

I do have an hour or so a night to play, but choose to do it elsewhere or not at all.

AH2 is a huge undertaking, one which I cannot begin to understand as I have no gamemaking experience.  I guess with me it's not so much burnout as impatience......I want it now:D

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2004, 07:16:49 PM »
Damned whiney Canucks!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2004, 10:19:15 PM »
Slapshot said:
I work for IBM

You, too, eh? :)

What version of WebSphere are you ouching about? I would guess either 3.5 or 4.0.

WebSphere 5.x is much better than those earlier versions, with a much better browser based GUI. Not that it's perfect, mind you. :o

We're in FVT for WebSphere 6.0 right now, lots of testing going on trying to find bugs. Busy, busy time of the cycle right now.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2004, 08:06:58 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
Dred, I'm sorry. I overreacted and was out of line.
What I meant literally about some nights on the pizza map is that lots of people avoid fights and prefer to steamroll,
I tend to go right at the best people if I know where they are.  Like the other night.... Nath 6 or 7, Steve 1.*

Bah, dont sweat it man.
 I know it can be difficult online with the lack of the tone of ones voice or facial expressions to determine if one is attacking or simply busting chops.
 Good rule of tumb with me is if you find yourself feeling like your being personally attacked your probably taking me too seriously.
 When Im serious I know how to do it in such a way where there is no question as to my intentions
I have a bit of a sadistical streak in me..(well maybe more then just a bit but thats a different topic entirelyLOL) And I love to bust chops and push buttons  and nobody is immune. Jjust ask my squadmates lol
Though I typically take as well as I give. I understand where your comming from.

Now.. Where are ya so I can kill ya?
:cool:
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2004, 08:54:05 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

What in my view happens is that eventualy the challange ends with any game.Nothing much new for you to learn or do. It's at this time the searching for why your not having fun sets in. And the game is blamed for not giving you the fun you used to have.

May be extremly long time w/o update supportit HT ?

anyway guys... i have similar problem.

I remember very well, when we were flying in MA and we saw 2 dots fighting. So we basicaly countinued to enmy field. now all ppl after first enmy dot and then second.
Some of them are so horny, that htey drop from 25k to 10k to join 4 friends chasing 1 spt.

But major reason why it happen is that squads in Ah doesnt cooperate.
I also remember when i saw 2 190 in formation and said myself... Golly-geem it.... those two $%@#^$% will probably coopeare and fly very well....
and yes i got creamed by Apar and StSanta.

In my opinion AH`s squads are not cooperating in way they did before.
Dunno whys that, but new squads realy doesnt do that.

Anyway untill 1person a week call me cheater, i will have at least a piece of fun in AH.....

man today i were trying to kill Nexx in ostie and he got me about 5 times in raw :D

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2004, 09:16:20 AM »
I have to agree, the game has changed, but so have we.
As you master each little personal stumbling block on the learning curve and move on to the next, the whole game becomes less and less challenging.

At first it was  "WTF?? my plane pulls to the left and crashes when I try and take off?", then you learn about torque, what causes it, and how to deal with it and think "Imagine the cool stuff I can do now I can actually take off!!"
Then you learn that pulling flat turns as hard as you can isnt the best strategy ever that you thought it was, and learn about something called the 'vertical plane'.
"Cool, imagine all the cool stuff I can do now I know how to go up!!"
Same sort of process for stalls, gunnery, SA, fighting from a disadvantage etc untill you reach a point where you are reasonably confident that you can handle yourself in pretty much any given situation in game.
What happens then? Allmost any perceivable situation in the MA is a case of "been there, done that" and you get bored, and burn out.

I'm one of the lucky ones, three years or so and I'm still bumbling about the skies wondering wtf is going on half the time....years of enjoyable learning ahead for me Im afraid :)

The beauty of the whole thing is that the freindships and community never stagnate, they keep growing the whole time, and that is the real reason I still pay to play, the game may be getting a bit long in the tooth, but you lot amuse the heck outta me. :)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2004, 01:16:25 AM »
The beauty of the whole thing is that the freindships and community never stagnate, they keep growing the whole time, and that is the real reason I still pay to play, the game may be getting a bit long in the tooth, but you lot amuse the heck outta me. :)

If there is anything to take from this thread - this is all you need to remember.

Wolf

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2004, 05:20:20 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
this is all you need to remember.

hit sprites.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2004, 06:18:29 AM »
There has been a very real, and quite large, change in the game.  IMO it's because of the TV ads the the large influx of players that followed.

Much of AH, and what makes it what it is, exists in the players, not the game itself.(True of most online games) The emphasis on air combat vs base capture has always existed only in the minds of the players.  Call it the community standard.  

The standard is maintained when new players join the game.  They learn the game from the veterans before them, picking up the same standard themselves.  But when you have a large flood of new players, there are too many to learn from the older players, they begin to learn from each other.  The community standard breaks down, and the game becomes something different.  Usually settling at whatever is perceived as the 'best payout' of the game engine, eliminating the community standards completly.

New players learn that the goal of the game is to take bases.  Said players fly the best aircraft to get that job accomplished, and will do so in the most efficient way.  With the way AH is designed, the ideal strategy consists of much suicide field porking, and horde attacks on lightly defended bases.  Air combat becomes secondary to taking bases.  Unless something is changed, such player behaviors are an eventual certainty. (For better, or for worse, I'm not making judgements here)

When you talk to people who have seriously beta tested any mmog, you will almost ALWAYS hear that 'beta was better than release'.  That initial flood of players can almost entirely wipe out old community standards, and replace them with new ones.  It leaves the game substantially changed in the wake, and the old beta players wondering were thier game went.

Wether you like it, hate it, or don't care in the least, AH today is a very different environment from what it was before the TV ads began.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2004, 07:25:11 AM »
Put all the non pork+auger squads in one country, all the teeming newbie / pork+auger masses in the other, and watch what'll happen, probably regardless of the player ratio of the two.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you