Author Topic: Urchin, banana, other disillusioned vets:  (Read 1418 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Urchin, banana, other disillusioned vets:
« on: April 23, 2004, 07:44:46 AM »
Please consider flying in the CT.   It seems to me its close to the flying environment from the past you want to recapture.

Last night there were 50+ people in the CT, and there were multiple, easy-to-find fights, large and small.   I myself winged for about an hour with Drunky, a helluva stick I might add, and together we spent the better part of the evening engaged with 3-4 allied P-38s and 51s, very competently flown and willing to mix it up.   One 2v2 we had must have lasted 15 minutes at least.

The CT is mostly regulars who greet and salute each other, and the chat on 1 is generally pleasant and respectful (except for Shane, the resident smack talker, but everybody expects it from him).    

I'm not saying its perfect, there are drawbacks.    But its got the feel of the beta community to it, and the plane matchups and side balance have been very good recently.    Tonight begins a week of early-1944 NW Europe action.    I do think you'd enjoy iy if you tried it and stuck with it long enough to get to know some of the regulars.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 08:24:22 AM »
A lot of times I will fly in the CT but... I don't allways like the panesets and after a day or so the simplicity of the varietyless fights is kinda boring..  all the planes make the same move in every engagement.   you can counter it or take a chance..  no other choices.

Also... there are only a few setups that have evenly matched planes that are fun to fight in.  

Still.... I have had some of my best times in there when the MA is building battler missun doodz central.

A good planeset in the CT with CV's or close fields is a blast.

lazs

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 09:33:40 AM »
I already do fly in the CT, oboe. My squad usually goes there after the squad ops on Friday night.

I've always been a supporter of the CT.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Re: Urchin, banana, other disillusioned vets:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 09:40:23 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
(except for Shane, the resident smack talker, but everybody expects it from him).    

ROFL Shane :D :D

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Urchin, banana, other disillusioned vets:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 10:05:17 AM »
The CT is mostly regulars who greet and salute each other, and the chat on 1 is generally pleasant and respectful (except for Shane, the resident smack talker, but everybody expects it from him).  
I agree entirely. :lol

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 10:38:33 AM »
I've tried the CT, some setups I like ... some I don't...

Burma was middle of the range for me..  

I guess I prefer at least fairly balanced speeds +)

SKurj

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 12:27:05 PM »
I became pretty disillusioned with the CT due to the impossible to work around gaps in the AH planeset and the carping that results from it.  It is also usually imopssible for me to find a fight in the CT at the times I am able to log on.

Also, my prefered ride is very rarely in the CT.  It is this week, but I'll not be around for much of it.

Oh yes, I hate dot chasing and the CT is rife with it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 05:38:54 PM »
No kidding, the CT had that many players?

The couple of times I've ever logged in there were only "private" fights really going on. (1 particular squad vs another). Before anybody jumps my case, I know this was the case cuz they politely told me that my help wasn't needed, so no offense taken on my part.

So thats the solution everybody's looking for! Sort of a upper tier arena, with highly skilled players getting it on. Naturally, noobs and those of lesser skills will stay in the MA, cause they'll only get beat up in the CT.

Those of you who are dissatisfied with the MA because of a lack of challenge, be trendsetters here. I'm sure the level of play will be more of what you are looking for, probably several rungs above the MA, and participation will grow over time as people want to "graduate" to that level of play.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 06:10:07 PM »
I've been to the CT a couple of times and found it to be a refreshing change from the ma.  The talk was friendly and, occasionally, instructive.

And Shane was there.  Talking his smack...telling corny jokes.  Spanking my arse.  But also, believe it or not, taking the time to offer a few pointers.  Can't believe how he yanks that Jug around.  Got a few rounds into him...but generally he spent his time teaching me lesson afterlesson afterlesson afterlesson after painful lesson.  Ad infinitum.

It was a blast. In my opinion, HT should do more promote the CT and encourage people to use it.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 11:15:37 PM »
The CT is not an upper tier arena, just one of a different flavor- one that appeals to a smaller set of pilots.    And those pilots have varying amounts of skill, from hot shot to noob.    In fact I think its a little more surviveable for pilots compared to the MA due to its smaller fights and reduced icon ranges.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 11:23:25 PM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
I've been to the CT a couple of times and found it to be a refreshing change from the ma.  The talk was friendly and, occasionally, instructive.

The CT is not perfect, and it is not for everyone, and thats OK. I enjoy the challenge of the restrictive plane choices (although I fly for both sides, so in a way I get double the plane choices of Axis or Allied only folks). For the most part, there is a group of regulars that all know each other and get along well. Having said that, the CT has many of the same problems as the MA, we have undefended base capturer's, milkrunners, building battlers, sky accountants, score potatos, vulchers, and the like, but there are plenty of folks that just plain ol' fight too. One of the main things I like about the CT is you dont have to sit through this every 5 min on channel 2:

mishundood:<<>>
mishundood:<<<<<>>>>
mishundood:COME ON!!!! SHOW YOUR PRIDE IN BISH/ROOK/NITELAND!!! JOIN UP!!!
mishundood:T MINUS 20 SECONDS FOR MISHUN ROLLOFF!! ITS NOT TOO LATE!!
Grits:.squelch mishundood

And Shane was there.  Talking his smack...telling corny jokes.  Spanking my arse.  But also, believe it or not, taking the time to offer a few pointers.  Can't believe how he yanks that Jug around.  Got a few rounds into him...but generally he spent his time teaching me lesson afterlesson afterlesson afterlesson after painful lesson.  Ad infinitum.[/b]

I enjoy it when Shane is in the CT, yeah he talks a lot of trash and that alienates some, but those that pay attention will notice that he ALWAYS offers pointers, and is willing to help anyone get better. He could keep that stuff a secret and leave us to languish in our dweebiness, but he choses to share it and I appreciate that, which makes his trash talking bearable. :)

The CT is not an upper tier arena, just one of a different flavor- one that appeals to a smaller set of pilots.

Right, I dont think any of the CT regulars claim it is an upper tier arena, its just different, and more conducive to A2A combat. The reason I think that is there is no "win the reset" which is the engine that drives eveything in the MA.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 11:25:59 PM »
i've been having so much fun in the CT today it was insane.  The 109G2 is a very fun plane to fly against those jugs and runstang but i died about everytime i ran into a spitfire.

CT is very fun!
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 04:30:38 AM »
I also recommend AH II for a fun ride.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 09:55:34 AM »
too much pacific war crap, for my liking in CT,, change map twice a week andi may join more regular..

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 10:20:49 AM »
pac war has about the best matchups.

lazs